Alright...who is a Koontz fan???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuatDad

Registered
Reaction score
And what is your favorite book by him? I just picked up my first Koontz book tonight and havent even cracked it open yet. I got "Velocity" because the back cover blurb intrigued me. Any fans here? Care to share your favorite book titles?

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
He is all right but he can let you down at times. Velocity wasn't one of his better books, IMO. Intensity was better and it is the sister book to Velocity. Some of his best books I have found to be his older ones. Strangers, Seize the Night, Fear Nothing, The Bad place. Some of his new books are pretty good though, just not as good. The Taking, The Face, Odd Thomas.

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
"Intensity" and "Odd Thomas" were my favorites for two different reasons. "Intensity" kept me up all night, knotted up my muscles and all those good things that a horror novel should do. "Odd Thomas" had an MC that I just adored. Too bad he wasn't as good in "Forever Odd."

"The Husband" was pretty good too, and so was "Door to December."

The only thing I don't like about his stuff is that you know the good guy will always win out in the end. To me, that's just too predictable.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I'm a fan of Koontz. I've read 'Odd Thomas,' 'The Taking,' and 'Velocity,' and I have 'Forever Odd' waiting to be read. I really, really liked 'Odd Thomas' and I devoured it very quickly. 'The Taking' and 'Velocity' were not as good, though.

I've also heard a lot of good things about 'Intensity,' so I will have to read that very soon.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
'Intensity' was my favorite Koontz book...hands down! Followed closely by 'Watchers'. I will say I'm a Koontz fan but mostly a fan of his older work. Much of his newer stuff has disappointed me. After reading 'From the Corner of His Eye', I have a hard time picking up anything else by him. I couldn't have been more disappointed.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I used to read a lot of Koontz, but it's been ages and I don't know why. I remember particularly loving Lightning and the concept of Servants of the Twilight was great fun.

And the whole sections of Dragon's Tears that were from the POV of the dog were just great. I think of that often and it makes me smile every time.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you decide you like Knootz, you might enjoy his book on writing. It's out of print and a bit pricey, but you can still find it.

ac

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Koontz

I haven't found a Koontz novel I didn't enjoy. He's a great writer. I think my personal favorite is "Fear Nothing," but I don't believe he's written a bad novel.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I've only read Dragon Tears, but enjoyed it for the same reason Perks mentioned above.
And the whole sections of Dragon's Tears that were from the POV of the dog were just great. I think of that often and it makes me smile every time.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love Dean Koontz. "Fear Nothing" is my favorite. "Odd Thomas" is good too.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I'll wind up reading everything he puts out, but I don't have a real favorite. As someone said...you ALWAYS know the good guy is going to win...somehow.

But he's a great balancer if you've just finished being smacked around by Brian Lumley!

Pennywise

Registered
Reaction score
I've read about 6 or 7 of his books and find that most of them are the same sort of story but with different characters. I also get very bored by his paragraphs upon paragraphs of description. But thats just me.

A few that I enjoyed very much though are Intensity, Velocity and Odd Thomas.

*Sits in the background and waits for the inevitable 'Koontz vs King' argument to start*

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
This exists in another thread (King vs. Koontz), but I'll throw it out there again. For every Koontz book that's really good, there are two more I don't like. My favorites:
The Taking and Twilight Eyes

J. Weiland

Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite books by Koontz? That would be Intensity, Twilight Eyes, and Strangers. Anywho ... I think most of the novels he wrote in the 90s are very entertaining.

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
I haven't read but two of his books (noticably two that no one has mentioned as of yet), Frankenstein Books 1 and 2. They were fun reads and have me looking forward to the last book of the trilogy. Someday I'll try something else he's written.

MyFirstMystery

Having Fun with Words
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed "From the Corner of His Eye" although I haven't made a point of seeking out his other books.

MFM

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
King/Koontz

Flapdoodle said:
It's like comparing Turds if you ask me.:D

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Flapdoodle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Jamesaritchie said:
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Lighten up. You missed the smiley. I've got a few Koontz books that I haven't read - they generally appear in remainder stores in the UK quite soon after release. One's called "Life Expectancy." I also have a lot of King, but gave up after Buick 8.

RG570

Registered
Reaction score
I don't read much of this type of thing, but my girlfriend has shelves full of just Stephen King and Dean Koontz.

I've only read two of his books- Tick Tock and just minutes ago, I finished reading The Taking.

Tick Tock was kind of neat, and The Taking got off to a really good start, but somewhere after the halfway mark, it started sucking. Or no, maybe it didn't start sucking, but I sure didn't enjoy it.

I don't like the way he finger-wags about morality. Especially at the end of The Taking. That was such crap. And he apparently doesn't know the difference between modernism and postmodernism. And I counted a few times where he goes off on his self-indulgent useless fact expositions, only to get the facts wrong.

But I'll agree that he can suck you into a story, that's for sure. That's really all that counts, I suppose.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I have only read two books, I do not like him that much.

Can anyone help me on finding the titles?

The first one I have read like 15 years ago and it included someone hiding away in a house and a motorsaw, thing, plus a guy chasing that person. I do not remember more.

Then we have a shrink, that is treating a person with Agarophobia, but he is not treating her, he is implanting a second personality thing in his clients, when he says a certain code word they do everything he wants. And when he is done with them, they do not remember what he did. I loved that book :)

Status
Not open for further replies.