PDA

View Full Version : word usage question: bolt, as into move quickly

Becky Writes
08-15-2006, 11:24 PM
Can you bolt upright into a sitting position from lying?

“Hello, CJ.” She purred, stretching out on the couch and preparing herself for what was normally a racy conversation. She could see him sitting there in the lounge, alone in the dark, murmuring the things that would make her wait up for several more hours to greet him when he got home.

“Casey.” It was CJ, but something was wrong. His voice sounded weak and distant. Casey bolted upright.

Yes? No? Maybe?

alleycat
08-15-2006, 11:30 PM
Yes, bolted just means a quick movement.

MidnightMuse
08-15-2006, 11:35 PM
My Webster's II says: A sudden, quick movement TO or AWAY. I'm not sure you can upright in a TO or AWAY motion -- but this dictionary is lame.

So To Bolt is kinda the opposite of what Alleycat's avatar is doing :D

MidnightMuse
08-15-2006, 11:47 PM
Ah-Ha! I found a better dictionary. I think you're good to go :)

Now if we could just get that kitty out of his kibble bowl and back into that hammock.

Becky Writes
08-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks, and I just wanted to add that I know my thread title has a typo. It should be, bolt as in "to move quickly."

Carmy
08-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Sure you can use bolt. It's proper English and means "the act of moving quickly".

Mind you, I think she's overreacting.

Silver King
08-23-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm very interested to know where all of that purring will lead to. Couldn't you post one or two more paragraphs with another question?

Bolted is correct, but it doesn't have the sound of startled movement, at least not to me. Regardless of context, I usually think of bolted as "secured" or "fastened," the opposite of its intended use here.

Maybe something with a single syllable, such as "sprang" or even the simple "sat upright," would do the trick. Or maybe bolted is perfectly fine, and I just have a problem seeing the word "in action."