PDA

View Full Version : Snake alert from the news media

awatkins
08-15-2006, 11:22 PM
I meant to post this days ago but forgot until I saw the snake post today.

Our local news media has been posting snake alerts for some time now. With the extreme high temps and drought conditions in Alabama (and in many, many other areas, too), snakes are more likely to be out and about. Not because they're seeking cooler areas, but because they're looking for water. So, keep your eyes peeled when you're outside.

Last week, a two-year-old little boy was bitten on the cheek by a copperhead while he was playing in his family's yard. The snake was lying beside a leaking water hose and not knowing any better, the little boy picked it up. Fortunately, he's going to be okay; the snake didn't puncture his skin, just made a big bruise on his face.

The parents killed the snake and took it to the hospital so it could be correctly identified.

Perks
08-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks, Anne. One more excuse to avoid all forms of lawn maintenance. I owe you one.

MidnightMuse
08-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Blech! Snakes should stay on planes where they belong :D

We're lucky here, no poisonous snakes on the western half of Washington State. But the Eastern half does have the rattle-variety. I'm convinced -- while I have no fear of snakes now -- were I to live where they're that dangerous, I'd avoid any and all lawn care maintenance!!

And nature walks, and swims, and . . .

eldragon
08-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Ouch. The boy picked the snake up. Gotta love childish innocense. Glad he's going to be OK.

We're always looking for snakes.

It has rained here everyday for the past 6 weeks. Why is Alabama having a drought?

sassandgroove
08-15-2006, 11:48 PM
Hey, Send some rain over this way! Except that when it does rain, it only gets more humid. In other places I've lived, rain is refreshing. Having lived in the desert, I find it hard to believe we are in a drought here, with all this lush greenery. A matter of perspective I guess.

I once almost stepped on a snake. Yeash...I stopped my foot in mid air. He was sleeping so I crept away un harmed, thankfully.

eldragon
08-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Sometimes the rain cools everything off, and sometimes it makes it worse.

It's a day to day thing here.

awatkins
08-15-2006, 11:58 PM
It has rained here everyday for the past 6 weeks. Why is Alabama having a drought?

Wow, send some of that over here!

I think in the last...hmmm...forget how many weeks, we've only had a few days of rain. Everybody's lawns are dried up, gardens are parched, and the full-time farmers are being hit really hard. According to the news, the corn crop is really bad.

We've only had to mow our yard 2-3 times all summer, it's been so dry. Many of our big trees are already losing tons of leaves and several of them (in the woods behind the house) have died. :(

ETA: We've had hit-and-miss t-storms and are expecting one now. Unfortunately, the ground is so dry and hard that unless it really rains a lot, it doesn't help much. Hoping for rain later today.

eldragon
08-16-2006, 02:52 AM
It's starting to rain again now, and just up the road is a thunderstorm.

My grass needs mowed twice a week, but since we have a huge area to mow and gas is so expensive, I only do it once a week.

jdkiggins
08-16-2006, 03:04 AM
Thanks, Anne. One more excuse to avoid all forms of lawn maintenance. I owe you one.
Good grief, Perks, mow the lawn! High grass attracts snakes, too.

Glad the little boy is okay.

Jamesaritchie
08-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Snakes are everywhere right now. They're even getting on airplanes.

Perks
08-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Good grief, Perks, mow the lawn! High grass attracts snakes, too.

Glad the little boy is okay.I wish you would have mentioned this before I set fire to the turf.

eldragon
08-16-2006, 07:33 PM
We had a hell of a storm last night, even lost power for 3 hours.

Lots of rain -tremendous thunder and lightning - & wind.

No snakes, though.

Soccer Mom
08-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Snakes on planes. Yet another reason to fear flying!

awatkins
08-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks for that reminder, James. lol

No rain yesterday; they're saying no rain for the next several days, either. *sigh*

MidnightMuse
08-16-2006, 10:37 PM
I want rain !!!!

You guys can keep the snakes, though :D

Akuma
08-16-2006, 10:45 PM
Hmm...Shall I quote my quote below...?

No, no. I think it speaks for itself.