Babel Fish game

Tre

Bite me!
Registered
Reaction score
Lost in Walmart ripped on mescaline and neosporin
This is a silly diversion, involving the abuse of technology. Actually, it illustrates the limitations of the Babel Fish translation program. A lot of cutting and pasting is required, but the results can sometimes be very funny; sometimes not.

Go to the Babel Fish site: http://babelfish.altavista.com/ and enter a phrase or paragraph in English, and then translate it into another language. Copy the result, paste it into the lower box and translate to a third language. You can translate the results as many times as you like, but the last time needs to be back to English. If it amuses you, post the original phrase along with the translation. This should keep everyone entertained for about as long as it took me to type this.

Here is an example—

"Where's the wine?" the blind sommelier muttered while waving a leather crop. His seeing-eye dog tripped on Sidney's artificial leg and the alpacas stampeded wild-eyed and frothing knocking the spectroscope, shattering it fantastically! The nuns prayed for raw meat while kneeling on bags of crumbled potato chips.

When it was translated from English to Portuguese, then Portuguese to French, French to Spanish, finally Spanish to English, the phrase became:

"where it is the wine" to sumiller blind muttered to a more undulation a leather harvest. Its dog of v-olho encountered over the artificial foot of Sidney and the alpaca stampeded selvagem-wild-eyed and frothing sticking spectroscope, breaking the fantàstica! In them prayed for the meat believed to des' to make kneel in purses of disintegrated potato fleas

I admit it, I’m very easily amused.

Tre

Bite me!
Registered
Reaction score
Bummer!

Phrase: Soccer Mom tried to use Babel Fish, but it wouldn't work for her. why is that?

English to French, French to Italian, Italian to English

Translation: "the mother of soccer has tried to use fish of Confusion, but that would not work for it. Why it is - ce that it is?"

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
Woah - check this one out! Tale of Two Cities..

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.

English to German ... German to French ... French to English

any outward journey very any time, bad weather, the age intelligence, the age ignorance, the time faith, the time Unglaeubigkeit, the season light, the season to blacken it, spring the hope, the winter to despair it, us all ahead us, us nothing ahead us, the good us, who direct sky outward journey, us to return other manner -- short statement, the period until now like this period, which some noisy sound authority to exist

Tre

Bite me!
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, not wrong thread!

"She writes of the queen being amused, but is she really. with all the terrible things in this world it takes courage to find humor."

English to German, German to French, French to Dutch, Dutch to English

"She writes of the queen, maintenances become them, however she must with all terrible things in this world which it are found to courage, to environment real takes."

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Monty Python:

Look, strange women lying on their backs in ponds handing over swords...that's no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses not from some farcical aquatic ceremony...You can't expect to wield supreme executive authority just because some watery tart threw a sword at you...I mean, if I went around saying I was an emperor because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away...Ah! Now we see the violence inherent in the system.

English to Greek to French to German to English:

Look at, stranger women at their backs at the lakes, by one the swords supplying... only no basis for a system of the government. The implementing maximum strength originates from a permission of the masses certain jokes water ceremony... They cannot wait to handle exact the implementing maximum principle there someone ydatw to ' acid say thrown a sword at you... I mean whether I went around the foreign exchange, which was I emperors there some that ygra ' cikan had bint scimitar also, which would furnish persons it me... Ah! Now we see the innate force at the system.

Pretty good, actually...

Tre

Bite me!
Registered
Reaction score
"When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

English to Italian, Italian to French, French to German, German to English

"If in the course of the human events it becomes necessary the fact that people connected the political volumes to dissolve it with another and between the nutrition the stazione separate and the same earth, presupposes, at which the laws of nature and the God of nature permit them, decent a respect at the opinions of mankind required that they would have to explain the causes that impel it at the separation"

Reaction score
Stairway to Heaven ...

First Verse

There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
And when she gets there she knows if the stores are closed
With a word she can get what she came for

English to German, German to French, French to English

an injury for that \Theres which has surely all those which sparkles, is gold and it buys a staircase with the sky and if it receives, knows it there, if the memories with one are closed the word which can receive it that it came

Second Verse
There's a sign on the wall but she wants to be sure
And you know sometimes words have two meanings
In the tree by the brook there's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven

English to German, German to French,French to English

All has a sign there on the wall, it would like to be sure and to know but you that sometimes, of the words two importances in the tree by the brook a bird of song has which sings sometimes our thoughts with misgiven is there

Third Verse

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking

Translation

There is a feeling which I receive, if I look in the west and my spirit for the abandonment in my thoughts to go to me rings of smoke by the trees and the voices of those saw which are looking at

Hey, this beats watching a squirrel trapped in my fireplace!

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

English to Spanish, Spanish to French, French to English

"Half of the package of cigarettes is 106 miles in Chicago, have a tank full with gas, is sunk, and use the glasses of the sun."

-------------------------

"We're on a mission from God."

English to Spanish, Spanish to French, French to English

"We are in a mission of the god."

NightWynde

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brigitta-m.blogspot.com
Army of Darkness quotes (just 'cause I can't resist. tee hee)

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

"well, badly, I am the individual rifles."

----------

"Give me some sugar baby."

you give me "a sugar baby."

--------------------
"I'll swallow your soul!"
"Come get some."

"I swallow your heart!" you receive come "some-a."

------

"Three books? Nobody said anything about three books!"

"three books? Nobody said all approximately three books!"

--------------------

And just because I wanted to mess with the thing:

"Klaatu Verata Niktu" (which I believe is actually mangled Latin).

And wouldn't you know it...after several translations...it ended up as:

"Klaatu Verata Niktu"

Go figure. LOL

Tre

Bite me!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think one even needs the original phrase..

I was in fires of cross opens born the hurricane and me howled with my MA in the driving rain, but all it it east is at the present time indeed a gas! But it is precisely. I am of Jumpin ' Jack the lightning, am to him a gas! Gas! Gas!

I was raised from one hag without teeth, and with rights of the belt through my later part informed are baertig, but it is everything indeed it is a gas now! But it is of right, I is completely short messages of Jumpin ' handle, it is a gas! Gas! Gas

Last edited:

Camilla

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
niamh-sage.livejournal.com
English-German-French-Dutch-English
I don't think this one needs the original either ;)
It was a dark and stormy night; rain has fallen in the electricity in the occasional distances, she by a violent gust of wind of wind was exceptionally again examined which the ways (for her in London that our scene leugens is), rat-delicate has driven off along the roofs of house, and furiously the bad flame of the lamps awakes which have fought against noircissement

Nor this (English-Dutch-English):

To call me Ishmael. Has some years suffered - never pays attention to how long exact - little or no money in my grant, and particularly nothing which to interest me on coast, thought I I concerning a little would sail and the aqueous part of the world would see. It is a manner which I have had of refuseeing the milt, and regulating turn. When I find myself growing unrelenting concerning the mouth; when it is wet, drizzly November in my soul; when I find myself by deathly travelling box package houses, and for the talk the bringing achtergedeelte of each burial which I have met inadvertently pausing; and especially when my hypos get such a higher hand of me, which it a strong moral principle requires to prevent determinedly in the street step me, and methodically being correct guards of people - then, I it account high time gives away to get as soon as to overseas I am possible.

I love the translation of "coffin warehouses" to "deathly travelling box package houses" :p

Tre

Bite me!
Registered
Reaction score
Help! (To Ohio?)

English to French, French to English, English to German, German to English

Help me, if you can, I believe to the lower surface and I estimate being to you in round. If you help me, receive my back feet from the reason, you, please please help me, help me, help me, to OH

Reaction score
Take me out to the ball game. Take me out with the crowd. Buy me some peanuts and crackerjack. I don't care if I ever get back. And it's root, root, root for the home team. If they don't win it's a shame. And it's one, two, three strikes you're out at the old ball game.

English to Portuguese, Portguese to French, French to Italian, Italian to English

It removes to the game of the sphere. It removes with the crowd. The purchase some peanuts and crackerjack. Not me amount if I always begin behind. And it is root, root, root for the group house. If they do not earn it is shame. And one, two, three are struck that six for outside in the old game of the sphere.

Loria Amnekia

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I saw a song on here, so I am using television.

Original Quote:

Space—the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

English-French-German-English:
Final border of the area. There is the journeys starshipunternehmens. Its task of five years: in order to investigate new stranger worlds, in order to look for the new life and new civilizations, in order to go boldly, where no man went before.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Ooooo I do this all the time when I'm bored, it's hilarious :) Here goes:

I sometimes like to drink coffee in the evenings but the sun bothers my eyes most of the time.

English to Spanish (omg, only one translation and it's already hilarious) to French to Greek to English :)ROFL:) to Portuguese to French to German back to English and we get:

It has the coffee of pjej the taste sometimes for the afternoon, but the disturbances helium my eyes more than time