Categories

Wesley Smith

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wesleyswordproblems.blogspot.com
What blog sites have the capability to easily break your posts into different categories? It's not a functionality that Blogger currently has, and in part due to that I've stopped blogging for several months. I'd like to be able to blog about different topics and have an easily accessable index on my blog for readers of my blog.

Any suggestions?

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
Wordpress and Typepad do. I wish Blogger had it too as it's a really helpful feature. Right now I settle for having a search box on my blog so people can search by subject, but it would be nice to divide it into categories as I think it's easier for readers to use.

Deleted member 42

Wordpress, Typepad and MovableType all provide categories; Blogger is getting there.

The Beta of Blogger currently under development (and it's very very beta; don't use it if you can't afford to have stuff trashed) supports Technorati tags, so possoibly you could eventually Tag posts, then, with some judicious coding, treat the Tags as categories in your sidebar.

I think . . .

PenDragon

Dragon with a Pen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
newadventuresinfantasyfiction.blogspot.com
If you do a search in Blogger help, it tells you how to add catagories, using some third party softaware. I was looking the other day, cos I fancied some catagories in my sidebar. I didn't sue it in the end, too much trouble, I've only just learnt how to post links.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I changed from blogger to wordpress on my own domain partly because I wanted catagories. I did hear the beta version of blogger has catagories, but wordpress is so much better than blogger anyway :D

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
That's one reason I wrote my own software. I've got categories and it's possible to search categories, but I still want to add a linkable list. Admittedly, that's not a high priority right now...

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
For adding categories, Movable Type is good too. I am happy that Blogger is now adding this feature. They should have done a long time. Many people have shifted to Word Press just for that reason.

Georganna Hancock

she's back!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers-edge.info
I've used blogger.com software for more than two years now, and this is the first I've heard of a "beta" version. I've been using Technorati tagging for quite a while with no problems, and I've had a Google Search box with no problems. Off and on the Eurekster search box in the sidebar goes wacko, and I have to take it out for a while (like these days). I'll tag the Categories as nice, but not necessary.