Proper Noun Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
I have a ghost/angel character in my novel that the narrator (41 years old) has known since he was a child. He refers to her as "the Lady in White".

One of my beta readers (my manuscript's "finished"...yeah!) says the name for the ghost/angel is essentially a proper noun since the narrator's been calling her that all of her life. Hence, I should be referring to her as "The Lady In White" or "the Lady In White"....whatever, but the "in", she insists, should be capitalized.

I'm not emotionally attached either way, thanks to "replace all" functionality. However, I'd be curious to what the consensus opinion is, just in case I've violated some basic rule of capitalization and don't want to look like an idiot to an agent:

a) The Lady In White
b) the Lady In White
c) the Lady in White
d) The Lady in White
e) doesn't matter

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
If I wrote it, it would be c).

Deleted member 42

e) It doesn't matter; it's a title, not a Name, and the publisher will have a house style sheet which will determine if the i in in is upper or lower case.

Horizon_eyes

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.designertrade.com
'C' also works for me. I've never heard of 'in' being capitalized in any situation, except if it was the first word.

Even still, 'the' probably shouldn't be capitalized either unless it's starting off a sentence. It's difficult to see 'the' as being part of the proper name, even though it's always mentioned with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.