PDA

View Full Version : Any Canadians in here or out there?

J. Weiland
08-14-2006, 05:23 PM
Although I am Danish, I'm also bit of a Canadianist: My thesis is on Canadian Literature; 'Canadian Studies' what I've been doing at the university the last two years. Also, my girlfriend and I are planning to move to Canada as soon as possible, having applied for permanent residency.
We are going to travel in the South of B.C. come September, so I was just curious to hear if anyone could recommend some places that we definitely need to see? We are planning on driving from Vancouver over Princeton to the Okanagan Valley over the Shuswap and Kamloops and back to Vancouver again before we go to the island for some days also.

Cheers,

JW

L M Ashton
08-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Oooh! Permanent residency! Do you have any ideas on where you plan to settle?

I have some ideas, some of which include ferry rides up the coast, but I'm in the middle of something at the moment. I'll come back when I have more than five seconds and tell you where to go and how to get there. In the nicest possible way, of course. ;)

J. Weiland
08-14-2006, 07:08 PM
We would like to settle in B.C., preferably the Okanagan Valley or Vancouver Island. However, it will take 3.5 years before we know if they say 'yes' or 'no' to our application. So, it will take a while, but we got our minds set on it at least.

:)

KTC
08-14-2006, 07:42 PM
From Ontario here. Never been further west than Winnipeg...so, can't help you. I know there are quite a few from the West Coast here, though...so good luck.

ModoReese
08-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Can't help but put a vote in for Calgary. ;)

In all seriousness, I've been hearing raves about the Island recently - haven't gotten there since a little'un myself, but a friend's visit last month has generated hours of discussion. I'm very partial to the Rockies myself, and if you make it further east, Banff and Lake Louise, as well as Kananaskis, are must-sees.

Michelle

CaroGirl
08-14-2006, 08:43 PM
The main thing you need to know about BC, particularly around Vancouver, or, on the island, around Victoria, is that it is insanely expensive. But itís one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Enjoy your trip. You will fall in love.

J. Weiland
08-14-2006, 09:04 PM
The main thing you need to know about BC, particularly around Vancouver, or, on the island, around Victoria, is that it is insanely expensive. But itís one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Enjoy your trip. You will fall in love.

The beauty is what we are going there for ;)

Thanks.

kikonie
08-14-2006, 09:14 PM
The island is definitely more beautiful and varied than the Okanagan, unless you prefer the austerity of dry mountains. On the island, almost every landscape can be forest covered. Pure magic.

I recommend seeing the islands between the mainland and Vancouver Island. Can someone from BC do these justice please?

batgirl
08-17-2006, 10:06 PM
I live on the island, in Victoria. Yes, everything is more expensive. No such thing as a $1 slice of pizza here, for instance. And the job market is limited, though recent population growth has changed that somewhat - construction jobs are easy to come by, for instance, even without experience. The main employers in Victoria are the government and the university. It's a whitecollar and rather whitebread town. The bus service is pathetic, but you can get almost anywhere in town by bike.
Also, the only way to get off-island is to take the ferry - or you can fly, if you don't have a car you want to use on the other side! So going anywhere off-island you add 2-3 hours each way (that's assuming there are no ferry waits!), and $50 minimum each way (if you don't eat anything on the ferry).

But I wouldn't live anywhere else. It's beautiful. Every time I take the ferry, I stare out the windows through Active Pass, even though I've seen the islands a thousand times.

Random thoughts:
If you come to the island, Chemainus has the murals and theatre festival (I've never been, you know, you never go to nearby attractions, right?) but Jordan River is a nice drive and more laid-back. I used to live in Sooke (the Potholes are a favourite place to swim in the summer) and never minded the hour's drive to work, because it was winding mountain roads, not gridlocked city.
If you want to take another ferry, drive to Comox and cross to Powell River, a small town only accessible by ferry. Take the Seaside route to Comox rather than the highway - much prettier.
In town, the Royal BC Museum is worth a trip, but many of the other attractions are touristy (the Wax Museum, the Undersea Gardens). Good bookshops, not just Chapters, but local independents like Munro's and Bolen's.
Victoria has some urban sprawl. Colwood is sometimes called Crawlwood because the road through it is thick with car-lots and fast-food, and traffic is slow, slow. There have been some improvements made, but it's still not a scenic drive at all.
Something my prairie friends have mentioned is that if you come from a dry climate, it's difficult to get used to the pervasive cool damp. Your jeans will be cold when you put them on in the morning. Crackers and cookies get soft if you don't close the box tightly. Mould grows on things. On the other hand, it is great for the complexion.
-Barbara

Miki
08-21-2006, 08:32 AM
You might find more information on www.okanagan.com/photo (http://www.okanagan.com/photo) click on the Valley Photo Tours.
The valley has a lot of areas for sports, swimming, boating, fishing, hiking, etc. And there are huge vinyards and market gardens, tree ripened fruit to die for, peaches are in right now, and vegetables of all kinds. There is a wine tour as well if you wanted to visit the various wineries all up and down the valley.
Miki

BardSkye
08-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Lots of us Canucks on the board here.

Never been to the Island myself but I'm told it's wonderful by friends who have. If it gets too expensive, though, or you can't find work, try Calgary. We have something for almost anyone and businesses crying for people to fill jobs.

Best of luck with your application.

asorum
08-21-2006, 10:35 AM
We lived on Wrangell Island for ten years, which is about 30 miles from the BC border. The Stikine River is awesome if you ever have a chance to visit northern BC. White water, glaciers and striking mountains. I fully intend to buy a place in Telegraph Creek when I retire! It was one of the first places that John Muir visited in his travels to Alaska.

threedogpeople
08-21-2006, 11:39 PM
Permanant resident here. Mid-Vancouver Island (south of Courtenay). There is sooo much to do here. What do you like to do? Fish, hike, canoe?

Judy

PS - We have rental properties and know the names of two excellent realtors. If you need them, pm me.

J. Weiland
08-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Permanant resident here. Mid-Vancouver Island (south of Courtenay). There is sooo much to do here. What do you like to do? Fish, hike, canoe?

Judy

PS - We have rental properties and know the names of two excellent realtors. If you need them, pm me.

Hike and fish, mainly :) Would you know if it is possible to drive a camper van to Wolf Lake north of Courtenay? I'm thinking about the condition of the road.

illiterwrite
08-24-2006, 02:29 PM
We rented a cottage in the interior of BC last summer, and it was breathtaking (we were living in Calgary temporarily). Too bad there are grizzlies & cougars, or it'd be perfect (my own personal phobia: bears). :tongue

J. Weiland
08-24-2006, 04:34 PM
We rented a cottage in the interior of BC last summer, and it was breathtaking (we were living in Calgary temporarily). Too bad there are grizzlies & cougars, or it'd be perfect (my own personal phobia: bears). :tongue

My phobia is being killed by a bear :D. I'd really like to see some when I go there. They are great animals.

Where abouts in B.C. did you rent the cabin?

illiterwrite
08-24-2006, 05:58 PM
We rented in Riondel (near Kaslo) in the Kootenays.

http://www.kootenaylake.bc.ca/Images/Services/LostRaven.jpg

J. Weiland
08-24-2006, 06:26 PM
Looks like a great view from that deck? :)

PODLINGMASTER
08-24-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm not Canadian, but I did see "Strange Brew"...does that count eh?

Podlingmaster

illiterwrite
08-25-2006, 04:35 AM
Great views:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d602b3127cce93cd7811f9ef00000010108AYtmbdy5bNv
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d602b3127cce93cd759a38ca00000016108AYtmbdy5bNv

But you really should get to the Rockies in Banff/Lake Louise:

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d605b3127cce93f542b9336800000016108AYtmbdy5bNv
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d605b3127cce93f54294b27500000016108AYtmbdy5bNv

Those aren't the best pics, but they're all I have on this computer. :)

ModoReese
08-25-2006, 06:46 AM
aaaah, I live in Calgary and I am *SO* going to the mountains this weekend..... those pictures settled it. :D

Michelle

J. Weiland
08-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Very nice pictures. It's beautiful there. Unfortunately we wont have time to go to the National Parks also. We have to settle for Wells Gray Provincial Park on the mainland, and Stratchona on the island. Should be very nice scenery there also. :)

smiley10000
08-25-2006, 12:37 PM
STOP! STOP!
Your making me homesick!
:cry: 10000

P.S. Enjoy your trip. Vancouver is the most beautiful city in Canada (And I've been from coast to coast...)