Not open for further replies.

Manxom Vroom

A proper fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jvalka.blogspot.com
My last two rejections:

“I am looking to take on new clients, but only with material about which I feel very strongly on a personal level. Opinions vary considerably in the business, and I’m sure another agent will respond more favorably.”

And:

Thank you for sending your manuscript to me for consideration. I really like the idea of a tarot inspired novel, but I felt the story was smaller and quieter than I hoped. (At least in the first 30 pages, which is the time I need to feel hooked.) I'm sorry to say I have to pass on this since it's not quite what I'm looking for and I feel I would have a hard time marketing it. It's charming though, and I hope you'll persist until you find the right agent for it.

I know I should be very encouraged to get this kind of response from an agent, and to a certain extent, I am. In the end though a rejection is a rejection is a rejection.

I'm sure there is some agent out there who will click with my work, but who? It's hard for me not to get depressed, because I've been close before. I've written 5 complete novels in the past 10 years, all of which have been through the submission process. I feel that my current work is my strongest novel yet, and I know that I just have to keep at it, but it hurts to be this close and still so far away.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Manxom Vroom said:
My last two rejections:

I felt the story was smaller and quieter than I hoped. (At least in the first 30 pages, which is the time I need to feel hooked.) I'm sorry to say I have to pass on this since it's not quite what I'm looking for and I feel I would have a hard time marketing it. It's charming though,

I agree with Cath, that the second rejection was the best of two evils.

However, you've invested a lot of time already with this ms, have you considered saving it under another name and pursuing what the agent said about giving her more of a hook and resending it to her? After all, she's telling you what she needs from it here.

Good luck with it!

Manxom Vroom

A proper fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jvalka.blogspot.com
DeborahM said:
I agree with Cath, that the second rejection was the best of two evils.

However, you've invested a lot of time already with this ms, have you considered saving it under another name and pursuing what the agent said about giving her more of a hook and resending it to her? After all, she's telling you what she needs from it here.

Good luck with it!

The thing is, I've already crafted this thing with the best hook I feel capable of writing. I don't know how to make it bigger and louder without mucking up the good that's already there. :Shrug:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We all need to vent, that's what pressure gauges are for. Heck, without them, things would just blow !

I trust you haven't exhausted the list of potential agents for this work yet? If not, keep on plugging! Someone's gonna fall in love with it. If you think you have, then maybe it's time to take a step back, and a deep breath, and give those first 30 pages a serious looksee.

Maybe it's a simple matter of -- not rewriting - - but repositioning? Can things be moved around, reworked, and if so, would that give it the punch that agent was missing?

Most important -- never give up, never surrender :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Just a point, since no one seems to have noticed: The first one is a pure form reject.

The second is better, however. Still a no, and it still doesn't guarantee ultimate acceptance (trust me on this, I know). But better.

caw.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I think I agree with what MidnightMuse said, if I'm understanding correctly. If that particulat agent said "the story was smaller and quieter than I hoped" would you consider making it bigger and louder?

One agent rejected my MS, saying it was "too much of the same thing." I made some minor cosmetic changes and got it rejected twice more before his words finally clicked. Pre-revisions, my MC only thinks about doing certain things. In the revised MS, she actually does those things, making for a much bigger and louder story. I revised with the notion of: what's the worse that can happen? Make it worse! (For example, she's a little worried her credit card might be rejected when she's shopping. Old: it clears, ho hum. New: it's rejected.) I've found a number of ways, big and small, to increase the volume.

And as MidnightMuse says: Most important -- never give up, never surrender!!

Mallika

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.undertheshade.com
I'm sorry about the rejections, Manxoom. For me, close calls always both hurt and helped the most, so I can understand a part of what you're feeling.

I'll be cheering you on from my corner of the world. Keep on going!

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Scrawler. Now you know what your novel needs to make it saleable. This kind of rejection is a gift for it guides you in making needed changes. It's just like hearing a negative critique of your work. At first you are really miffed but then you begin to see that the critiquer is right - you do need to change it. When I first came to AW a very experienced member here read the intro to my novel and made the comment that I told rather than showed and that made it simplistic. Those words hurt but it led me to make urgently needed changes. And you know what? I'm still changing it, changing it every day. A good critique like that does you far more good than praise or comments that it is perfect. Well, if it's perfect, why isn't it selling? That's the way I view it now. I've got past (I hope) my personal feelings and can look at what is best for the novel.
Scrawler said:
I think I agree with what MidnightMuse said, if I'm understanding correctly. If that particulat agent said "the story was smaller and quieter than I hoped" would you consider making it bigger and louder?

One agent rejected my MS, saying it was "too much of the same thing." I made some minor cosmetic changes and got it rejected twice more before his words finally clicked. Pre-revisions, my MC only thinks about doing certain things. In the revised MS, she actually does those things, making for a much bigger and louder story. I revised with the notion of: what's the worse that can happen? Make it worse! (For example, she's a little worried her credit card might be rejected when she's shopping. Old: it clears, ho hum. New: it's rejected.) I've found a number of ways, big and small, to increase the volume.

And as MidnightMuse says: Most important -- never give up, never surrender!!

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Oh, do not despair on this one. I would take that second rejection, post it and the first chapter of you work on the Share Your Work Board, with the specific request that the readers find that problem where the "ho-hum" element resides, and offer suggestions on how to "pick it up and give it a good shove."

The critique people here at AW are devastatingly effective. It is SO worth the effort to let others see what might ail you. You sound like a very promicing writer, and you are so close.

Tri

Manxom Vroom

A proper fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jvalka.blogspot.com
triceretops said:
Oh, do not despair on this one. I would take that second rejection, post it and the first chapter of you work on the Share Your Work Board, with the specific request that the readers find that problem where the "ho-hum" element resides, and offer suggestions on how to "pick it up and give it a good shove."

The critique people here at AW are devastatingly effective. It is SO worth the effort to let others see what might ail you. You sound like a very promicing writer, and you are so close.

Tri

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week long vacation, but I just might do that when I get back.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. :)

Manxom Vroom

A proper fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jvalka.blogspot.com
blacbird said:
Just a point, since no one seems to have noticed: The first one is a pure form reject.

The text is pretty form, I agree. However, it came me on the nicer paper stock with my name and the name of the book included in the text of the letter, and signed by the agent - suitable for framing. :D

I must say, yesterday I was feeling terribly angry and bitter about the whole submission process, but this and other discussions on this board have lifted my spirits. I'm leaving for a weeklong vacation tomorrow, during which I resolve not to think about queries, manuscripts, agents or anything even remotely related. I'll come back to the process next week with a (hopefully) renewed sense of optimism and enthusiasm.

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy your vacation.
When you get back, you should post on the 'share your work' board.
Have you tried Llewellyn?

Status
Not open for further replies.