Hello from Southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalifPrincess

Hello everyone.

I'm new, obviously. My name is Melissa and I’m from the Inland Empire of Southern California. I am, as of yet, an unpublished writer, (not counting a few short stories and an essay in small, small press…no IBSN, and e-zines).

I just finished the rough draft of a very long fantasy novel. Boy does it need a lot of work. I’m finding it difficult to show and not tell. :(

I’ve also wanted to break into the short story and non-fiction article writing market…but can’t seem to put anything together. I’m thinking of taking a class or classes if I can find any near my home. I have a problem with plot development in short stories.

Well, I look forward to meeting everyone. ;)

Melissa in CA
[email protected]

dkuhn

Howdy

Welcome, Melissa. I used to live in San Diego. My second book is set out there - at least partly. You're right, Southern California should be a separate state.

Good luck to you.

www.debbiekuhn.com

absolutewrite

Re: Howdy

I’m finding it difficult to show and not tell.

That was my biggest hurdle in screenwriting, too. Welcome, Melissa and Debbie!

Debra Lauman

Showing vs telling and all that good stuff

Hello, Melissa from California,

Welcome.

Did you happen to see the recent discussion about Showing and Telling in the novel-writing section here on Absolute Write? If not, here's the link:

pub43.ezboard.com/fabsolu...=265.topic

Also, there's a great thread going, also under novel-writing, called "Learning to Write with Uncle Jim." Some wonderful insights and tips from published author James D. McDonald.

Anyhoo, welcome again...

Deb Lauman
Author of "I. Joseph Kellerman
www.debralauman.com

Status
Not open for further replies.