Have your kids been teased about how they look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stressed

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone… For the same monthly women’s mag I am also looking for quotes [again, from moms] on what steps you may have taken to teach your child that teasing other kids over their appearance is wrong. And if your child has been teased about his or her looks and you have any tease tactics you may have used to boost their self-esteem, that would be useful too. Please pm me… Many thanks!

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
There is not a kid alive who hasn't been teased about their appearance at one time or another or who has not teased another kid about some aspect of their clothing, accessories, or non-race based physical attributes. As for "boosting self-esteem" I hope that my kids have a strong enough sense of self to work out how to handle unkind comments without an adult rushing in to help them. I would think if parents rushed in, it would only make the teasing worse. I'm talking teasing, transient unkind comments, not bullying or racist remarks. I'm sick of all these overprotective parents who don't want their children exposed to any kind of criticism or comments that might damage their fragile little egos. I think the real question you should be exploring is how parents can tell teasing from bullying and recognize when their kids need genuine help.

Stressed

Registered
Reaction score
Tish Davidson said:
There is not a kid alive who hasn't been teased about their appearance at one time or another or who has not teased another kid about some aspect of their clothing, accessories, or non-race based physical attributes. As for "boosting self-esteem" I hope that my kids have a strong enough sense of self to work out how to handle unkind comments without an adult rushing in to help them. I would think if parents rushed in, it would only make the teasing worse. I'm talking teasing, transient unkind comments, not bullying or racist remarks. I'm sick of all these overprotective parents who don't want their children exposed to any kind of criticism or comments that might damage their fragile little egos. I think the real question you should be exploring is how parents can tell teasing from bullying and recognize when their kids need genuine help.

Many thanks Tish, but that isn’t quite what my editor is looking for with these quotes… if any more moms can help I’d be really grateful…

Last edited:
Reaction score
I encouraged my kids to torment their ugly, stupid peers. My reasoning was: These people will spend decades collecting welfare and getting a free ride in the wagon, so make them pay now.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My oldest daughter is very, very pale. I got teased for it and she makes me look like I've spent a fortnight in Miami.

It has started for her already. (She's seven.) She was confused by it more than hurt. All I told her was that I knew this was going to happen and that it had happened to me. I told her when she was grown, it wouldn't matter, but that if she paid attention she'd see that these kids could find fault with anyone and that they just liked to pick.

I told her to look at us - we can hardly deny that it looks like we crawled out from under a rock. We laughed about it. Hopefully, she'll tell me when it's getting to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.