PDA

View Full Version : Well earned boasting

LeftUnsaid
08-12-2006, 06:30 PM
I WROTE A BOOK! IWROTEABOOK!
Oh, it's true. I was up til 2am, wrote all evening and into the night. Life is good, sometimes, when you're me. I keep singing it in my head "I wrote a book!" Sleep was an odd predicament last night, I knew I wouldn't sleep either way, but I'm glad I opted to finish because ya know what, I don't need to open the files up today. They're still there and they will remain there tomorrow or the next day or whenever I get around to reading it through before putting it away to be edited over winter vacation. I need to do this whole school thing, and I feel a lot better about it now that this will not be hanging over my head. That was a huge stressor. Maybe I'll make this an every summer thing. To be honest, I've no idea what will happen, but I do know that school cannot suffer from my needs to produce written material.
I was scared to finish but even more afraid of walking away.
It's a damn good feeling to be holding this tiny little data traveler memory thing and knowing that my entire book rests within it. I don't feel safe unless it's in my hand. The house could burn down, but as long as I have this with me then everything will be okay.
This is unbeatable and uncontainable! I am bursting! What a great day today will be. And I know, I just know that my father is proud.
And you guys, this forum, you've all helped in inspirational ways of which I could never fully express my gratitude toward. It was that extra push I needed, ya know? I had made it that far alone, but sometimes people need people. Humans are social creatures, no matter how hard I try to tell myself I'm special and don't crave interactions like the rest, I lie to myself sometimes. I needed every last word you all shared in reply to my posts. And everything else.
I could easily sit here all day writing you a novel on how this feels, but I know that you know. I am special. You are special. Writers are probably the best people in the world.
I can no longer say that there is anything in this world that is truly impossible. I proved to myself last night that I can do anything at all if I want it bad enough.
And just FYI, I honestly thought for sure that God would kill me in my sleep. My intuition has been telling me for a while now that I will die young, I thought for sure he would waste no time in doing so right after I finished (irrational, I know), but he didn't. ANd today I awoke feeling more alive than ever before. Instead of getting mad at the dog for waking me up early, I instead just reminded him that I WROTE A BOOK!
I do apologize for what seems like a long winded post. I don't even like the way it reads, but I'm posting it anyway as a demonstration of my happy chaos.
Take care. ANd thank you!

LeeFlower
08-12-2006, 07:00 PM
ah adrennaline... gotta love it.

Congratulations on finishing. Welcome to the club (technically I'm only halfway in the club, because I finished a YA and they're way shorter. But the half of me that's in the club welcomes you).

Happy editing. Best of luck getting into the "I sold a book" club, and then the "My book turned a profit" club.

Bufty
08-12-2006, 07:11 PM
It's a great feeling to finish the first one, isn't it? The next steps of revisons and editing - after your infant has slept quietly for a month or so - can be just as rewarding. Congratulations.

Anonymisty
08-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Good for you! *happy dance* There's nothing like finishing that first book - such an amazing accomplishment. Yay!!!

It's a damn good feeling to be holding this tiny little data traverer memory thing and knowing that my entire book rests within it.

Isn't that wild? All those pages hiding in that little teeny piece of plastic! I love technology.

J. Weiland
08-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Congratulations! :snoopy: A job well done :)

Have you also printed out your book, so you don't only have it digitally?

stormie
08-12-2006, 07:33 PM
(technically I'm only halfway in the club, because I finished a YA and they're way shorter. But the half of me that's in the club welcomes you).

YA may be shorter, but just as hard to write. I have found, when in the middle of writing my MG or YA novels, I become the MC, to the point where it seems my mind is always on the tween or teen level, and that's not good when I answer the phone by saying, "Yo, dude!" (Only kidding. Maybe.)

Leftunsaid, congratulations on completing the book! By 2am my head would be on the keyboard, and the screen would be filled with &^^%$#$#(**&&^%

LeftUnsaid
08-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Have you also printed out your book, so you don't only have it digitally?

I wish. There is a whole process involved before I can do that. I need to buy a wire connecting my laptop to the printer, I need to find the printer disk to install it in my laptop, and I need to hope my mom doesn't kill me for using all the ink! In the meantime, I would hope to give it at least one quick edit because there are quite a few spots that need changing but I didn't want to start editing anything while I was still writing. That will all be done before I put it away for the semester though. This will be good.

Siddow
08-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Another good way to back it up is to attach it to an email to yourself.
That way, your computer can crash, you can lose your flash, but you can retrieve it from anywhere you can access your email.

And congrats!

Soccer Mom
08-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Congrats Lefty! Finishing the first is a wonderful feeling. Finishing the second is good too. BTW- check into your local staples or office depot. Printing can be cheaper than actually getting all the fooferall you need to do it yourself. The Staples is about 7 cents a page. After you add up ink, paper, time spent babysitting the printer--I think its a bargain. Just something to consider.

jbal
08-12-2006, 09:17 PM
I have to agree with Soccer Mom on this one. I bought a printer (cheap one) to print my novel and found out it didn't come with a black cartridge ($20). I printed two copies to make the rounds with some beta readers, and I could only get one copy out of a cartridge (another $20). All this when I could have had it printed for about $20.00 a copy. But now I have a printer of course.
Congrats on finishing. It's a good feeling.

Josie
08-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Congratulations on finishing your first novel!!! How wonderful for you.

I loved that feeling. A few years before I did write a novel, I would have said "Who me, write a novel? Never."

:snoopy: Doing the dance for you.

As to printing it out, good idea. However, if you get stuck email it to yourself. That's like a backup. Which you should even do when you're at different points in the novel. Backups are sooooooo important.

Cheers :)

Anonymisty
08-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Another good way to back it up is to attach it to an email to yourself. That way, your computer can crash, you can lose your flash, but you can retrieve it from anywhere you can access your email.

Yes! Back in February my agent called me at work and said she needed me to send another copy of my book via email. I panicked for a second, because my computer was at home. Until I remembered that I'd emailed myself a copy some weeks before, and could access it from work.

Whew!

LeftUnsaid
08-13-2006, 03:10 AM
Yeah, I emailed myself a copy today and scolded myself for not thinking of that simple solution sooner. It seems that creativity can stifle other life functions.

stormie
08-13-2006, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I emailed myself a copy today and scolded myself for not thinking of that simple solution sooner.

I find that's the best, easiest, fastest way to back up my work. But the obsessive in me also uses a thumb drive and a cd and hardcopy. Did I forget any??

Josie
08-13-2006, 04:14 AM
:Shrug: Stormie: I know what you mean. Though I e-mail my wip to myself, I do keep a copy of everything on a cd.

Better double safe than sorreeeee. :D

emeraldcite
08-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Congrats!

aruna
08-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Congatulations! An dth eothers said what I was goig to: BACK UP! The email solution is the easiest.

Jenny
08-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Huge congratulations on finishing your first book!

Cath
08-14-2006, 05:22 AM
Congrats - it's a great feeling, isn't it.