Loving spine pats

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Lucky loves for me to pat his spine down by his tail, but now he's started demanding it more often and for a longer time. Mind you I'm not beating him, the pats are firm and consistant.

Has anyone else's cat demanded this?

Or has Lucky found another way to get my attention from writing and manipulate me?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DeborahM said:
Or has Lucky found another way to get my attention from writing and manipulate me?
Well, of course. One word: cat.

But, I find that each cat has their own personality. My cat loves to "play fight" . . . she'd much rather do that than be petted. And she doesn't really enjoy being brushed out all that much, while my first cat would come a'running if she even thought I was getting the grooming comb out.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've had many (many) cats - over the years, of course. Legend loved to have her backside wallupped. If you walked up behind her and said "Goose You!" she'd stop walking and wait happily for you to grab her by the bloomers and give a shake! But her sister Fable was a bit more delicate, and prefered you to patt her tushy/belly with a bit more care. If you had a broom, though, she'd stand in line !

Muse was a big (read huge) boy and you could pound on him as hard as you liked, he loved it. But his sister Figment was long and lean and would fall right over if you tried the same thing on her. But she'd sit in your lap and touch your chin while you petted her and purr until she was blowing bubbles.

Of my two guys now, Secret is a slut. He'll flop over, show off his pretty pink nip's and dare you to resist petting him. His (larger) brother Rumor likes a good butt-pounding, and you gotta talk to him while you do it. He's a big baby and whines when he's not getting attention.

Gawd, I love cats !

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Several of my cats have liked to be petted at the base of the tail, kind of "elevator tail" as you pet down the spine.

My cat Sparky gets very insistent when he wants to be petted. If I'm working at the computer he'll rub on my arm while I'm using the mouse, usually just as I'm trying to point at something specific. I also wake up in the morning with strings draped across me like Gulliver because he wants to play.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
Well, of course. One word: cat.

But, I find that each cat has their own personality. My cat loves to "play fight" . . . she'd much rather do that than be petted. And she doesn't really enjoy being brushed out all that much, while my first cat would come a'running if she even thought I was getting the grooming comb out.

Yep! When I reach into the nightstand drawer, Lucky is all eyes to see if I pull out his brush and starts purring and is immediately in my face when I do. And he loves play fighting, hitting - actually smacking me - with his big front paws! It's funnier when he gets both of the front paws smacking me one after the other.

MidnightMuse said:
purr until she was blowing bubbles.

His (larger) brother Rumor likes a good butt-pounding, and you gotta talk to him while you do it. He's a big baby and whines when he's not getting attention.

The bubble blowing cracks me up! Lucky is actling like Rumor!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My bunny likes to tag me from behind, right behind the knees, just enough to make them buckle. He loves his ears stroked.

One of my cats loves me to grab her tail and churn it like a butter churn. She purrs and kneads when I do this. Go figure.

CATastrophe

Registered
Reaction score
I summer at PetSmart and winter at the Vet's
Same here. Our littlest, at barely 7 pounds on a good day, who can lick your skin raw in less than 20 seconds, loves a firm pat. She needs her 'beatings', as we call it. She leans right into the hand and if you don't meet her, she flings herself hard enough to fall over. She prefers it on her hind flanks in a staccato rhythm. Yes, she's weird. She's an Abby.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
My cat and my husband "box" every night when he goes to bed. The cat stands on his hind legs and bats at my husband's hands. If he (the cat, that is) gets overly stimulated, he will lightly bite him. It's funny, but the cat won't play that w/ me. It's their little bedtime ritual.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a "flinger" cat, too. Milli is a 14 pound male orange and white tabby whom I've dubbed "Mr. Cuddles" because at 3 in the morning he suddenly decides he wants to be petted. He jumps on the bed purring his head off and flings himself down. He hits the mattress shoulder first and sort of unrolls, stays there for about half a minute, then does it again. Problem is, he doesn't care what portion of my anatomy he lands on. It's kind of hard to sleep with 14 pounds of fur in your face....

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awww! My biggest one, Rumor, likes to do a "plop" on the bed. You'll be lying there, not sure which cat just jumped up on the bed, then you'll feel some walking around, then if it's Secret, he curls up nicely. If it's Rumor, you feel this sudden PLOP!