PDA

View Full Version : comment blocking(blogger) question(s)

briliantdonkey
08-11-2006, 10:34 PM
I am curious how this works. I have not had any reason to want to stop someone from commenting on my blog yet and really dont foresee it being a problem. However, if it does I am just curious how it works. If I did block someone(assuming that is possible), and they tried to comment would it give them a message telling them they are not allowed to comment? Or would clicking the 'comment' link just have no effect whatsoever? The reason I ask, is one of the blogs I have been reading a lot lately and commenting on I have tried to comment the last couple of days. Instead of the comment box popping up as normal, now when I click the link nothing happens. As far as I know I haven't done or said anything to piss them off or if this is even what it is. Most likely, it is simple operator error on my part, but I don't think even EYE could manage to screw that up. Other blogger, comments are working same as always so I dont know what else it could be. At the very least if I am wrong I would like to find out what it is and apologize for it though again, I can't think of anything at all that was even remotely offensive I may have done.

Thanks in advance,

INK

Cath
08-11-2006, 11:04 PM
If there's a way to stop individuals from commenting on blogger, I don't know about it. I suspect your blogging friend has got a bug somewhere in their page that's stopping the comments page from loading.

I have seen comments filtered through the blog owner, or situations where only blog owners are allowed to add comments, in both cases the comment page loads.

Marilyn Braun
08-12-2006, 12:26 AM
I am curious how this works. I have not had any reason to want to stop someone from commenting on my blog yet and really dont foresee it being a problem. However, if it does I am just curious how it works. If I did block someone(assuming that is possible), and they tried to comment would it give them a message telling them they are not allowed to comment?

I'm not certain whether you can completely stop someone from commenting - I've never had any reason to do so. I do have comment moderation on my blog and if people leave a comment they know it has to be approved. I think it works quite well as I've had a few weird comments (Prince William is the anti-Christ, Edward VIII was a nazi, aliens will take over the world, stuff like that), that I've ended up deleting. I used to get a lot of spam until I turned on word verification, which is fantastic because the spam was really really annoying.

Bk_30
08-12-2006, 12:31 AM
On msn there is a place where you can "limit" who is allowed to comment on your site. I leave my blog "public'. To that end it allows me to delete any comments I don't want showing,but fortunatly I haven't had to use that option yet.

briliantdonkey
08-12-2006, 01:11 AM
okay thanks for the responses so far all. I know about the comment moderation, and word verification which work great for me as well. Hmmm, I am still perplexed as to why I can't comment then if there isn't a way to block it. I seem to recall a way to block someone from your blog through statcounter maybe which I have but have never used that feature before. I would think though that doing so would block them from reaching the site at all , not just comments. Maybe I am wrong. Who knows, it may be just some sort of glitch that will work itself out. If anyone else has any ideas/answers I am all ears. Like I said, thanks again for the replies and the help.

Briliantdonkey