a few blog related newbie questions

briliantdonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
hello all,

I am still pretty new to blogging and quite new to the whole 'share your work stuff and how it works.'

A few questions I have that maybe someone could answer or point me in the right direction to finding the answers. Any help would be appreciated.

1-When you post a story on your blog as I understand it you have just used up the first copyrights on it.

Is anything you post on your blog automatically copyrighted? Or do you have to apply for that somehow?

Once you have put say a shortstory on your blog for instance, is it useless to try and submit it or can that still be done assuming of course you reveal that it has been posted?

- for those of you who have done this/do this do you only do so with stories you have tried and failed to get published or put something up that maybe you think COULD go somewhere?

-while roaming around the blogosphere, I notice a lot of people that do NOT use their real names at all. What are the pros and cons of doing or not doing this?

I probably have 4000 more but can't think of any right this minute.

Thanks in advance for any opinions. I will keep looking to find the answers myself in the mean time.

Briliantdonkey

briliantdonkey

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
a few blog/.writing related newbie questions

I posted this also in the blog forum. I am not sure if posting in two places is a no no or not but I am not sure which is the best place for it. If so, I apologize.

anywhooooo,

hello all,

I am still pretty new to blogging and quite new to the whole 'share your work stuff and how it works.'

A few questions I have that maybe someone could answer or point me in the right direction to finding the answers. Any help would be appreciated.

1-When you post a story on your blog as I understand it you have just used up the first copyrights on it.

Is anything you post on your blog automatically copyrighted? Or do you have to apply for that somehow?

Once you have put say a shortstory on your blog for instance, is it useless to try and submit it or can that still be done assuming of course you reveal that it has been posted?

- for those of you who have done this/do this do you only do so with stories you have tried and failed to get published or put something up that maybe you think COULD go somewhere?

-while roaming around the blogosphere, I notice a lot of people that do NOT use their real names at all. What are the pros and cons of doing or not doing this?

I probably have 4000 more but can't think of any right this minute.

Thanks in advance for any opinions. I will keep looking to find the answers myself in the mean time.

Briliantdonkey

NewB

Super Fast Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
First off, weclome :)

I have been blogging for quite some time now. I will answer your questions to the best of my knowledge, but do take them with a pinch of

INKcogKNEEdough said:
Yes.

INKcogKNEEdough said:
It is automatically copyrighted. In fact, the moment you put words on a paper or on the screen, it is copyrighted.

INKcogKNEEdough said:
It can be done if the publishers don't want the first rights. Of course, you will have to reveal that the story is already up there for everyone to read.

INKcogKNEEdough said:
I had posted a few stories on my blog and never tried to sell them. And the stories which I intend to sell, I don't post them online.

INKcogKNEEdough said:
I haven't really analyzed this so much that I can give you an exhaustive pros-cons list. I don't use my real name. The only reason is I don't feel comfortable revealing my identity. This doesn't mean that I claim to be somebody else.

If you are a writer you might want to use your real name. It might help your book sales.

Hope that helps.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
"-while roaming around the blogosphere, I notice a lot of people that do NOT use their real names at all. What are the pros and cons of doing or not doing this"
It depends. Some people like to use their real name while others don't. As for me, I like to use my real name and that has one big advantage. This way, I can slowly build a brand name for my name. Secondly, if you do a Google search with my name "Razib Ahmed" then you will understand that 40 of the 50 results are related to me.
So, using real name to me is like an investment.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Hey there!

The mods definitely prefer that you only post a topic in one forum. I am sure you will get your answers in the blogging forum, however, so I'm going to take the opportunity to say :welcome:

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough said:
hello all,

Actually, you've just given up first publication rights. However, I'm pretty sure you may still sell first serial rights to a magazine. But you can't sell exclusive Internet rights unless you delete it from your blog.

It's automatically copyrighted. You will need to register it if someone copys it and you want to sue for damages.

You can try and submit it, but I would rather submit it first and see what results I get.

I use my real name. Right now, it's not like I could get fired for posting anything there since I was fired a month ago (actually, that had nothing to do with the blog - the group I worked for closed its doors permanently). I don't blog about my job anyway. But if you have information that might harm your professional reputation, consider being anonymous.

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
Hi, and welcome to the blogosphere! I'm fairly new myself - been blogging for three months.

INKcogKNEEdough said:
Yup. that's about the size of it. Don't get me wrong: I don't think it's a bad thing to post a story on a blog - if I did, I wouldn't have just done it myself. ;) But I don't intend to submit the story anywhere. I posted it just for fun (and hopefully for my readers' entertainment).

It's automatically copyrighted.

I wouldn't say "useless", but I think it would be best not to post on your blog stories you intend to submit for publication.

For those of you who have done this/do this do you only do so with stories you have tried and failed to get published or put something up that maybe you think COULD go somewhere?
Though I've written a few short stories here and there, I'm a novelist, not a short story writer. I had a short story hanging around that I thought would be fun to post on my blog. I'd never tried to get it published.

While roaming around the blogosphere, I notice a lot of people that do NOT use their real names at all. What are the pros and cons of doing or not doing this?
I'm blogging under my real name - well, part of it. :) I've got two novels coming out soon with e-publishers, and soon, I'll try to get an agent for my just-completed-and-polished novel. I'm using my real name for my novels, so I want my blog tied into that, too. It's good for my situation. But there are as many different situations and reasons for blogging as there are bloggers.

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough said:
while roaming around the blogosphere, I notice a lot of people that do NOT use their real names at all. What are the pros and cons of doing or not doing this?

I use my real name, and like razibahmed, I think it builds kind of a "brand" so to speak. I would think that people in publications I'd like to write for, like say Royalty or Majesty Magazine wouldn't want to hire someone who writes under the name of "Royal Wannabe" regardless of the quality of writing.

Because I use my real name I try to limit the amount of personal information I have on my blog, like my location. I don't think you can ever be too careful in that respect.

Thomma Lyn

Cat Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thommalyngrindstaff.com
Marilyn Braun said:
Because I use my real name I try to limit the amount of personal information I have on my blog, like my location. I don't think you can ever be too careful in that respect.

Right on - I agree 100% and am also careful. "East TN" is as specific as I get, and really the only reason I say that is because of the title of my blog - with a name like Tennessee Text Wrestling, it doesn't take rocket science to realize that the blogger doesn't live in Hawaii. :D