'American Idol' to Add Songwriters

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I saw this in the news today, and thought it might be of interest to the songwriters here:

'American Idol' to Add Songwriters
Aug 7, 4:50 PM EST
The Associated Press

Songwriters will get to add their voices to "American Idol" next season. The Fox TV contest, which has produced instant pop stars and hit records, will allow both professional and amateur songwriters to compete for the chance to write songs for the finalists, a spokesman for series creator Simon Fuller said Monday.

In the past, the show has called on an industry songwriter or producer to write an original song for each of the two finalists, with the new "idol" or even the runner-up consistently scoring best-selling records with the tunes.

Last season's winner Taylor Hicks is on the charts with "Do I Make You Proud," which he performed on the finale.

The songwriting contest is aimed at getting numbers that might be better matches for the contestants, Fuller told the Los Angeles Times.

Details of the new competition were not available, Fuller spokesman Eric Green said Monday.

Auditions for the sixth season of TV's top-rated series were scheduled to begin Tuesday at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena and continue in six other cities through September. "American Idol" returns in January.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the story. I wonder what process they will use for the songwriter's competition.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Me too. That could be very cool news!

My husband is an outstanding songwriter, but unlike me, he's such a perfectionist that he's totally paralyzed himself... he's never submitted anything anywhere because nothing is ever finished. I swear I'm going to figure out how to burn stuff off his computer and just start sending it out to contests and stuff.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of starting a "crib to cradle" thread and make up a song, follow the advice on AW, and market and promote it. Sharing the failures along with the accomplishments might be a nice educational experience.

Simran

JennaGlatzer said:
Me too. That could be very cool news!

My husband is an outstanding songwriter, but unlike me, he's such a perfectionist that he's totally paralyzed himself... he's never submitted anything anywhere because nothing is ever finished. I swear I'm going to figure out how to burn stuff off his computer and just start sending it out to contests and stuff.

You should take the initiative Jenna. After all, country star Alan Jackson's wife was the one that got him discovered when she ran into Glen Campbell in an airport. Before that Alan was a forklift driver for Walmart. :D