Rewriting fictional history

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
coffee-stainedwriter.blogspot.com
In a fiction course I took in college a year or two ago, one of our possible assignments was to retell a story (I chose Snow White & the Seven Dwarves, turning it into a kidnapping story), and it got me to thinking about other stories that have been retold....for example, Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon, which addresses the lives of the women of Camelot.

I've found myself reading male-centric fiction and wondering about the women in the stories...what they're doing, how they're reacting to the situation, etc.

I often think of the Victorian "angel of the house." These women are dealing with the same situations as their husbands, and are expected to remain quiet about it in most cases. So what if they had a voice? What would they say?

I suppose I should be thankful--this doesn't happen much anymore. Women's fiction is a strong force in literature, and women are rewriting fiction to give women a voice. (And three cheers to them for it!) But have you ever read a story and wanted to read about (or write about!) the minor women characters? What story/novel was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.