Other Choices?

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate all the information you all have provided concerning Publish America. Unfortunately, PA is the only entity I'm aware of that essentially allows you to self-publish at little to no cost (provided you don't let yourself get talked into buying a bunch of your own books).

A lot of writers out there produce quality work, but because they lack head-turning credentials or a demonstrable platform, they can't get a reputable agent or publisher to give them a shot. And....they can't afford to shell out $2,000 or more to self-publish (and even more to promote). Hence, the appeal of PA.

So, what other options exist for an author lacking a platform?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Cafepress.com

And with PA, you're not self-publishing. I get what you're saying, but unless you own the ISBN, you're vanity publishing. You can purchase an ISBN from Lulu (I don't know about cafepress) and really self-publish. The book setup on Lulu is free, you only pay for the ISBN and any marketing package you would like. And, of course, any copies you buy, but they're very reasonable. And you set the price for your book on Lulu too.

Last edited:

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
A suggestion

Think about this scenario:

I am a writer of nudist humor, a small niche market where the larger publishers tell me that the best I can do is 2000 units. maybe yes; maybe no.

The two nudist publishers have stopped publishing books as a result of poor sales.

As a writer, I might think, and did think, the same thoughts as you. It didn't work out. There was no support. There was only a few bright spots. even with a good book and a unique market, there was not enough sales to allow me to justify publishing with them again. Ther real bear was that with each book having under a 1000 units sold, other publishers pointed to poor sales in a "I told you so" manner. Rightly so, I might add.

There are many small publishers that are looking for unique niche books that would love to hear what you have to say, so long as you write a good book, work hard to make it the best book you can, and the premise and story is what they are looking for.

How hard is this?

My third book comes out in October/November from Author Ink Books.

Make yourself write to be publsihed. Know what people are looking for. Read everything you can in your genre. Surround yourself with people who know your market. Pick their brains clean!

In other words, clear away any stumbling block in your path to being published and forge ahead.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
BrianTubbs said:
A lot of writers out there produce quality work, but because they lack head-turning credentials or a demonstrable platform, they can't get a reputable agent or publisher to give them a shot. And....they can't afford to shell out $2,000 or more to self-publish (and even more to promote). Hence, the appeal of PA.

I want to go back to this part. Unless your publishing non-fiction, you don't need either head-turning credentials OR a platform. All you need is... a good book. A well written, gotta read it to the end manuscript. And you'll get a publisher. The 'publishers don't want unknown author/ no one publishes new authors' line that PA feeds is utter nonsense. New and unknown authors get published every day.

They have polished, well-written, gotta read it to the end manuscripts.

I, for example hadn't published a thing - not a short story, not a poem, not instructions on the back of a pack of toilet paper - when my publisher offered me a contract for my first book. Small press, sure, but legitimate and they work hard for me. Lots of people have their first books (read: first publishable books!) picked up by large publishers too. Nobody knows them from Adam prior to reading that book. Once Upon A Time, a young man named Stephen King was nobody too. I'll also point to our own Liam Jackson who had his first book picked up by St. Martin's Press. Not a small name in the business. Maestrowork's first book was published last year. I can go on, but I think by now you've gotten the point.

So, you have to ask yourself - if the quality of all these writers is so good, why aren't they being picked up by publishers? It's a hard thing to admit your work isn't ready. Doesn't mean it won't ever be, just may not be NOW.

I hope this doesn't sound elitist or snobby - it's not meant to be, but rather a little bit of the reality of the publishing business.

And, I will admit, that sometimes even good books get rejected b/c the publisher doesn't think they will make any money on them. That happens too. But then you should persevere until you find one that does think they can make money on it.

Last edited:

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
allenparker said:
Think about this scenario:

I am a writer of nudist humor, a small niche market where the larger publishers tell me that the best I can do is 2000 units. maybe yes; maybe no.

I find the concept of "nudist humor" to be funny. It sounds like something The Onion would make up.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
In my case, I would probably start with non-fiction. I'm most comfortable with that, having already published several nonfiction articles. So...I'm definitely in that "need a platform" and "need credentials" category of wannabe authors.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
BrianTubbs said:
I appreciate all the information you all have provided concerning Publish America. Unfortunately, PA is the only entity I'm aware of that essentially allows you to self-publish at little to no cost (provided you don't let yourself get talked into buying a bunch of your own books).

I think the important thing to realize is that Publish America is not a platform for anything. If you don't but the book from them there is little hope anyone else will buy it. Marketing is non-existent there. No one will even know your book exists.

Therefore it is not a platform at all.

Regards,
Scott

Joanna_S

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannasandsmark.com
BrianTubbs said:
In my case, I would probably start with non-fiction. I'm most comfortable with that, having already published several nonfiction articles. So...I'm definitely in that "need a platform" and "need credentials" category of wannabe authors.

I have 5 nonfiction books out and I don't have a platform nor am I an expert in any of the subjects. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do something or that it's impossible. It's not. Write a great proposal and send it out. If it's something that can sell, and you're a good writer, there should be no 'can't' in your future.

-- Joanna

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
Popeyesays said:
Therefore it is not a platform at all.

Actually, there is a platform. It's just the platform is in the middle of train tracks and a train is rushing towards you while you desperatley try to get out from under the road blocks that PA puts in your way. Some people get out of the way and catch that train while others are smacked head on but don't know it yet.

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Well....I'm definitely convinced not to work with PA.

I guess I need to do up the book proposals and see what success (or lack thereof) I have with regular publishers. Then, I can consider desperate measures later. :)

Speed

Registered
Reaction score
You could drop Real Live Preacher a note and ask him how he did it.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
BrianTubbs said:
I'm definitely in that "need a platform" and "need credentials" category of wannabe authors.

Brian, I'd like to suggest something crazy:

Get a platform.

:)

Seriously, there's a reason publishers want this (in some areas of nonfiction): it helps to sell books. So whether you wind up with a commercial publisher or self-publishing, you'll want to do whatever you can to increase sales. So instead of rushing along with a handicap, why not work on the platform first and the book second?

BrianTubbs

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Jenna

Actually, I'd like to do that. I started a thread in "Writing Nonfiction Books" on that very subject. It's gotten a lot of input. I'd appreciate yours too.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
I want to go back to this part. Unless your publishing non-fiction, you don't need either head-turning credentials OR a platform. All you need is... a good book. A well written, gotta read it to the end manuscript.

How true.

A number of editors have come to this site and have said that the number of books you've written means little compared to the quality of writing.

Don't get in a big hurry to see your book between thicker paper than a cover sheet with the title you type on it.

Start at the best publisher you can find that will take your M.S.,and work your way down, and keep writing.

I promise you that you don't want to tie up your rights for seven years with, "Those guys" Thumbs over there>. PA

If you want to be read by a wide audience, then keep working and seek a commercial publisher. If you want to see you book, in book form, then go to Lulu, and sell them to your friends and family. The sane thing you'll have with PA and your rights to boot!