Link from...Disney?

Brandon Kerlee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandonkerlee.com
In the stats section, under sites that have linked to my blog, I saw 3 hits from www.disney.com.

My blog isn't exactly "kid-friendly" (well, my part is horror, and my co-blogger is into erotica) so how on earth did Disney link to me?

Does this mean it's an actual link, or someone was on the Disney site and then went straight to mine, or what?

It's on AWstats, under 'links from an external page'. Does this really mean that Disney is linking my blog?

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I've been getting the same thing for a few months now -- a large minority of my hits come from "www.disney.com."

I know Disney isn't linking to my baby name blog, so the best I can figure is that the Disney URL is some sort of mask that people use to veil where they're actually coming from (?). I have no idea really.

Yeah, if anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be really eager to know what's going on...

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
nancy02664 said:
I've been getting the same thing for a few months now -- a large minority of my hits come from "www.disney.com."

I know Disney isn't linking to my baby name blog, so the best I can figure is that the Disney URL is some sort of mask that people use to veil where they're actually coming from (?). I have no idea really.

Yeah, if anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be really eager to know what's going on...
I have the same problem. I got some hits from Forbes. It happened more than one time but I could not find the link in that page.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I think I know what's going on. If someone has you bookmarked or types the URL in, they will show in your logs as coming from another site.

I figured this out because (surprise) a fair number of hits on my site come from my IP address. I'm always tweaking the site, so yeah, and I'd be a fool not to check that my changes work. But I noticed that I get some referrals from a forum where I'm a moderator. There's absolutely no link from the forum to my web site, but there are times I jump from there back to my site, so I'm assuming that's what is reflected in the logs.

Does that make sense? My brain is trying its level best to shut down from today's heat.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
JulieB said:
I think I know what's going on. If someone has you bookmarked or types the URL in, they will show in your logs as coming from another site.
That's not true with the stats package I use (Google Analytics). In my states such visitors are listed as "direct", not coming from another URL.
JulieB said:
I figured this out because (surprise) a fair number of hits on my site come from my IP address. I'm always tweaking the site, so yeah, and I'd be a fool not to check that my changes work. But I noticed that I get some referrals from a forum where I'm a moderator. There's absolutely no link from the forum to my web site, but there are times I jump from there back to my site, so I'm assuming that's what is reflected in the logs.
That makes sense, but the IP address you are coming from is based on the IP assigned by your internet service provider (or the proxy, if you go through one). That's different than a referring URL.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
razibahmed said:
I have the same problem. I got some hits from Forbes. It happened more than one time but I could not find the link in that page.
I've gotten some hits to my blog from the Washington Post - it turns out that they have "trackback" links with some of their articles. They don't seem to list everyone linking back, just a (random?) few, so the listed blogs change, presumably.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
Peggy said:
I've gotten some hits to my blog from the Washington Post - it turns out that they have "trackback" links with some of their articles. They don't seem to list everyone linking back, just a (random?) few, so the listed blogs change, presumably.
I get hits from Washington Post almost every other day because I link their stories in my writing regularly. However, I could not understand about Forbes yet as I normally do not link their stories.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
It looks like it's a spambot trolling your entries for email addresses to harvest. One can program in any referrer they wish into the bot. If you google Disney (and Forbes) referrer you'll find hundreds of blogs talking about it.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Peggy said:
That's not true with the stats package I use (Google Analytics). In my states such visitors are listed as "direct", not coming from another URL. That makes sense, but the IP address you are coming from is based on the IP assigned by your internet service provider (or the proxy, if you go through one). That's different than a referring URL.

My stats package shows both the IP of the visitor and the referring URL, I guess it depends on the stats package.

Brandon Kerlee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandonkerlee.com
XThe NavigatorX said:
It looks like it's a spambot trolling your entries for email addresses to harvest. One can program in any referrer they wish into the bot. If you google Disney (and Forbes) referrer you'll find hundreds of blogs talking about it.

That's it. Nice work. Thanks!