posted in "Freelance"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartsease

Registered
Reaction score
Nancy, having never been in this position I can't give you any advice. I just wanted to tell you that I hope she mellows out and this doesn't finish out as a project from h*ll. Hang in there. I do high end cakes and when you have a gawdawful client all you can do is the job and your mantra is "I will never have to deal with her/him again". The best to you and I will be praying for you girl

LA

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I'm new to this topic... But how is this humor-related?

Unless you plan on making your dealings with her the subject of a comedy-of-errors! :D

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Humor folk tend to stick together, keeps the predators on their toes :D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
For some reason I suddenly got sling blade in my head...

"Is that funny haha or funny queer?"

LOL.

LJF

Approaching the Story

The great thing about forums like this is their safety.

The interesting thing about forums like this is that they are open to all who wish to participate on a global level.

Forums likes this are open even to people who are aware that there are many sides to every story, especially this one very specifically.

I participated in this particular assignment as an interview subject. And, I will withhold my opinions about this situation specifically because they aren't on topic.

As a writer, I am a firm believer in the safety of this atmopsphere for expression. I think this is a great way to learn from others. If a writer is struggling with a topic or subject and wants to reach out to colleagues for ways to make it work, that's one thing. But I am greatly disheartened to read such inflammatory, hurtful, disrespectful, and derogatory comments, including, if I am understanding the perspective, references to harming someone with a weapon.

To deal with the topic or what I think is the topic -- In my experience in dealing with clients and people I am reaching out to when I write -- there is no bad subject and there is no bad interview. It's not personal, it's business. I approach my topic and wait to see what happens -- for me I let the angle surface organically. I, personally, like to meet with everyone I interview -- get the feel, the unspoken, the eye contact, the context, the immediate feedback, utilize active listening, and ask follow-up questions; it's those stray "threads," if you will, in the interaction that could lead to a deeper story or a cool sidebar. But that is my style. It's up to me. It's how I work with it, it's how I read it, and it's what I make of it. I treat everyone the way I would want to be treated. I establish a rapport and aura of safety and trust. My interviews are conversations. The question I ask myself is how can I make his work? And, the first place I start is to maintain respect for the people I interview.

Kristen King

Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkthinker.blogspot.com
LJF, I'm not sure what the problem is here. The original poster didn't reveal any identifying information about herself, the publication, or any interview subjects, just shared general info about a situation she wanted some input on. Chill.

Kristen

Status
Not open for further replies.