PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Lowdown on Google Adsense - (poll)

KellyC
08-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Hello Blogging buddies.

I've been using Google Adsense for a while and have experienced a significant increase in earnings over the past couple of months.

I click on my report pretty often because every once in a while the planets align just right and my pennies get bumped. Clearly I have no understanding of how the thing works.

But I'm undergoing a reality check here. My "significant improvement" is a joke. I went from zero - always, to like an average of 20 cents a day.

Whoopee????

So my question is, please tell how much you're earning with Google Adsense. I know that some blogs are wildly popular and others aren't on anyone's radar, so there's a range of success with Google, but it would be nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm using a poll here, in case you don't feel like divulging your ad income. But if you'd like to comment about your experience, that would be fantastic too.

nancy02664
08-12-2006, 04:25 AM
I used to have another blog and used AdSense on that one, but it didn't make me much money, so I dropped it after a while.

Affiliate programs, on the other hand, worked well for me -- especially since I trained everyone I know to make online purchases only after clicking through from my site. :)

KellyC
08-12-2006, 06:36 AM
This is great information - thank you for chiming in. Are you talking about Amazon? What other affiliates do you use?

Talia
08-12-2006, 07:30 AM
I don't have adsense on my blog. I don't click on those links on anyone else's blog so I don't expect them to click on mine :)

I have an affiliate program with Amazon and I get a bit of income off that. I usually just convert the money to vouchers and buy myself some more books but hey it's free money LOL. I've taken most of those links off my site at the moment as I am redesigning it but I'll get back to adding them in. Lots of people purchase off Amazon. It's reputable, whereas some of the other affiliate income programs look a bit tacky to me

Kelly maybe you could ask Jenna? She has lots of advertising links on the website here, and in her newsletters. She may have some ideas for you...

Talia
08-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Were you thinking of it only for your blog Kelly? I personally get a bit put off by blogs and websites with too much advertising on them. If I see those adsense thingees I often don't bother reading the site. Of course that's just me. Maybe you could start a new poll and see what other people think?

Talia
08-12-2006, 07:47 AM
Me again LOL

I just took another look at your website. I do love that blog. It's really nicely put together and the "kelly" sig isa nice touch too

I see you already have amazon but i don't use it the same way. i put specific links to specific books e.g. I might review a book and add a link to that particular book or I might mention books when I write about topics. That works for me. people read about that book, get interested and pop over to purchase.

I haven't had any success with those general banners like the one on your website. I think they look greedy and desperate and are a me me me thing, whereas some information about a book and/or an author is providing helpful information to your readers. That way it's about providing a service for your readers and then the money is made as a by-product of going out of your way to offer some free info to your readers. JMTCW

KellyC
08-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Taliamania - excellent input. Thank you so much! I will try that. I just started playing with Amazon and I don't like how it looks at all. Maybe the individual books would be better. The Google ads are much more easy on the eye, I think, which is why they're the ones I put higher up.

Much to think about. I'm feeling like if I don't get something significant off of any of them, there's no point in having them at all. ANd from looking at the poll -- there isn't a lot of light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for taking a look at my site!

mdin
08-13-2006, 01:15 AM
I decided not to put anything like that on my blog other than links to my own books. I signed up and put the code in a while back, but it just didn't feel right, so I took it right off. I guess I'm too much of a hippie.

Still, I think it's a good idea for you guys who have targeted blogs like Raz, Kelly, and Mad Scientist Matt. For the rest of us who use our blogs as glorified journals, I would think it would be more difficult to get click throughs.

nancy02664
08-13-2006, 02:17 AM
This is great information - thank you for chiming in. Are you talking about Amazon? What other affiliates do you use?

Yes, mostly amazon -- but I also used LinkShare for other vendors as well.

KellyC
08-13-2006, 02:50 AM
I sure appreciate your input on this -- all. I may cut back to just one google ad and targeted Amazon. But I need to customize the look on the Amazon ads.

It's a lot to figure out. I want to keep the clean look of my design and don't want the ads to get in the way (especially if it doesn't look like there's much income potential.)

Talia
08-13-2006, 03:04 AM
your website does have a nice clean look about it. the adverts aren't overpowering but they don't catch your eye and say "pick me" either LOL so I don't know if you'd get a lot of clickthroughs

you can add amazon links into individual blog entries. i used to do that when i sent out monthly newsletters and i got a reasonable income from a relatively small number of subscribers (ranged from 500-2000 subscribers monthly). i also had archives of the newsletters on my website

i like blogs where they have lots of clickable links. so if you mention something e.g. your dog has elbow dysplasia then there will be a link that tells you what that is, or a book about it that you might want to buy. it keeps me interested

i also like lots of comments and frequent posts. i have to say miss snark's is the best around and i don't think she has any advertising on her site. she probably should! she often recommends books and puts links but i don't think she is an affiliate. i have suggested it to her though