is kneeled a word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
well, I guess that says it all. As in "Bob kneeled down", or should it be knelt?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's one of those words that appears in the dictionary, but looks wrong most of the time. I'd say go with "knelt".

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
jbal said:
well, I guess that says it all. As in "Bob kneeled down", or should it be knelt?

Regardless of 'kneeled' or 'knelt' do you really need the 'down'?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
jbal said:
It is a perfectly ordinary word. "Down," however, is surplusage. "Bob kneeled" suffices. HOWEVER, "knelt" is far more common, according to Bryan Garner's Dictionary of Modern American Usage. He labels "kneeled" a "variant." The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language apparently has no preference, although it lists "knelt" first.

Do a Google search of kneeled and then of knelt. FWIW, the latter is far more common (4 million pages compared to 1.2 million).

House style guides might have a preference for one or the other, which would be decisive where applicable.

--Ken

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
You can't kneel up, can you?

You know, the dictionary lists both words and I wonder if this is just a personal preference?

The congregation kneeled at the urging of the pastor.

The congregation knelt several times during the service.

Deleted member 42

Both are OK words; kneeled is a dialect marker, and knelt is far more standard.

Generally, unless an editor tells you otherwise, go with knelt.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
cool, thanks for the advice. A reader pointed this out to me, and I thought it was legit either way but wanted to make sure.
and btw, yeah , the 'down' isn't necessary, and is in fact redundant. it was just a quick example

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
knelt would be my choice.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
knelt

You're into irregular verbs here, and it's more a matter fowhat has bcome accepted than anything else. The "ed" has replaced some "p" endings, but not others. In this case, the "p" form is still the most widely used, so it should be "knelt."

Heartsease

Registered
Reaction score
In our neck of the woods we would say kneeled, which as previously mentioned is a matter of dialect, we ain't called Owentuckians for no reason:D

LA

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I don't know. To kneel down to me implies the act of getting down on their knees - there's movement in it. Whereas kneeling is static. They are on their knees. Where's Reph when you need her?
In any case though I would say knelt.

Last edited:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would use "knelt". Or you could say they assumed a kneeling position.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
JimmyB27 said:
What if you are laying down, and then move into a kneeling position? Kneeling up, no? :tongue

Nah, you're still merely kneeling.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Knelt

"Knelt" is an irregular verb. In some cases, the "ed" form has become teh proper choice, but it this case the "t" form is still the right one, so it's "knelt" instead of "kneeled."

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
knelt, dealt, smelt, burnt vs. kneeled, dealed, smelled, burned.

All are legitimate words, some are more widely accepted in certain cultural climates and dialects than others. When deciding on the right word, consider your setting, timeframe, and whether you're using it in narrative or dialogue. All these considerations effect word choice.

laurel29

has a lopsided smile.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is amusing that I say kneeled probably as often as knelt, but when I look at in print I can't help thinking it is wrong. I would probably use knelt.

(But honestly, when I look at either word long enough I start pronouncing the K in my head and it makes me giggle...I am so easily amused.)

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Jamesaritchie said:
You're into irregular verbs here, and it's more a matter fowhat has bcome accepted than anything else. The "ed" has replaced some "p" endings, but not others. In this case, the "p" form is still the most widely used, so it should be "knelt."

I must not have had enough coffee. What is the 'p' form of this word? Forgive me if it's something very simple that I'm just missing right now.

Dekomposer

Registered
Reaction score
Better than 'dove'

Kneeled is not a proper word, the correct word is knelt. But it depends on which side of the pond you reside for instance, in the U.S. they say "He dove into the water" when in fact it should be "He dived into the water". A Dove is a friggin bird, so you would expect the phrase to be "he flew into the water" how about if the Dove got cross, he could fly into a rage!

{;0)

Deleted member 42

If you want the gory details, kneel is a Class 2 irregular verb; there are about fifteen or so verbs that have an -ed past ending that is differerent from the participle form of the past.

Burned burnt, or spoiled spoilt, send sent, smelled smelt.

In Old English there's already a pattern that associates a preference for t or d with a dialect. In modern English, British English generally goes for the t.

In American, well, it depends on the speaker. Most publishers have a list of preferred forms in the House style sheet, and editors will follow it. Authors who don't like the preferred form use a stet and everyone ends up, well, if not happy, at least not morally outraged.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
awatkins said:
I must not have had enough coffee. What is the 'p' form of this word? Forgive me if it's something very simple that I'm just missing right now.
Yeah, I missed that too. But if James A. Richie say's there's a "p" form (twice, so it's not a typo), then there is one. Participle maybe? or past?

I really felt like I had this one licked in the first couple of posts. This is truly a great community. Thanks everyone for your input, it's great to have such a broad base of people who are willing to take time out and answer piddling questions from some goofball they don't know (me).

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know knelt is.

He knelt down in front of the old king who tried to heft his heavy broadsword to knight him, and instead neutered his nads.

Status
Not open for further replies.