FOOD FIGHT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Weren has a big nice kitchen with all the wonderful utensils and space he needs. He's a Chef and he knows what to do to get oooh's and ahhh's out of you folks. People pay this man for his cooking.

I, on the otherhand have a teenie eenie lil kitchen 7' x9' to be exact, and, well, I have to admit I'm not sure where my whisk is half the time. But I know my way around my kitchen. My family is still alive and with healthy BMI indexes.

Chef Ramsey would probably skin us both and laugh as he did it.

But just to prove to you (AW et al) that SOMEONE knows how to cook....we're having a food fight. AW members are welcome to eat what ever you manage to catch.

Ok, Weren. Here goes. I'll throw something easy at you to start.
What would you do with a dozen Bartlett Pears, Orange Blossom Honey, 4oz of Dark Ghiradelli Chocolate and a bottle of domestic brandy?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
OK, Emeril...I mean Weren. I have several Alaskan rockfish filets. I caught 'em so I might as well cook and eat 'em. Any recipe ideas?

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
When Weren cooks it and slides it out of his way, either someone catches it or it goes on the floor. You don't want to eat it off the floor, do you? We don't plan to mop between pitches.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
KTC said:
Grow up! Who will be cleaning the place up?
fm52448.jpg

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
Ok, Weren. Here goes. I'll throw something easy at you to start.[/COLOR]
What would you do with a dozen Bartlett Pears, Orange Blossom Honey, 4oz of Dark Ghiradelli Chocolate and a bottle of domestic brandy?
I have no idea what Weren would do, but I know what I'd do.

However, this is an all-ages site, so I'll have to leave it to your imaginations...

Maryn, hoping the pears aren't too fat

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just gimme the dark chocolate and brandy, and no one will get hurt !

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
If I'm going to throw food, it's going to be something that makes a good mess and doesn't taste all that great to start with...

So here's a big face full of cooked spinich for whoever gets in the way.

But could someone throw some chocolate at me?

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
i'd peel and half the pears and do a slow low simmer until they're almost transparent but still a bit firm.
remove the pears into serving dishes.
into the remaining boil-water(discard this down to about 1 cup, adding fresh water if needed later), stir in 2-4 tbsp honey (more if needed) and add brandy starting with 1/2 cup, reduce this to desired sauce thickness and pour over pears.
top with chocolate in slivers.

(wish i had a few pecans for this ;) )

AnnMB

Living in a Dream World
Registered
Reaction score
P.H.Delarran said:
i'd peel and half the pears and do a slow low simmer until they're almost transparent but still a bit firm.
remove the pears into serving dishes.
into the remaining boil-water(discard this down to about 1 cup, adding fresh water if needed later), stir in 2-4 tbsp honey (more if needed) and add brandy starting with 1/2 cup, reduce this to desired sauce thickness and pour over pears.
top with chocolate in slivers.

(wish i had a few pecans for this ;) )

I didn't know Martha Stewart belonged to this forum!:D

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:

Ok, Weren. Here goes. I'll throw something easy at you to start.

Sh!t. . . . what have I gotten myself into?

I am going to take this easy, I mean. . . really. . . This is going to be a salad. . .

Poach the pears, kill the infidels. . . ummm. . . poach the pears in a neutral white wine with a touch of the honey until they are soft yet subtley firm (think al dente pears). . . sit to cool, slice on bias so to fan out on top of salad later. . .

Make a dressing with the brandy/honey. . . . this is going to require bacon. . . dice some applewood smoked bacon and fine dice some shallots. . . cook in sauce pan (do not use oil. . . the mmmmm. . . bacon fat is all the lard you are gonna need) Before the bacon is fully cooked, while the shallots are translucent, add about 6-8oz of brandy and about 3-4 oz. oh the honey honey honey. . . baby I'm hungry. . .okay, so. . .yeah. Reduce until the alcohol is just about the brandy and the honey is giving you a slightly thicker than water consistency. . . salt and pepper, let sit to cool.

Get yourself some mesclun greens. . . . put them in a mixing bowl and gently add some of the warm brandy dressing. . . until slightly wilted. . . pile high on a plate (think tall, think volume. . . think beehive hair-do. . .)
Place the white wine poached pear on top. . .. . . shave the dark chocolate thin (with a carrot peeler) over the salad, and yes. . . crumbled some toasted pecans or something akin. . . accompany with a dry riesling. . .

Fine! There. . . your turn. . . (after this brief interlude)

Rockfish. . . . either slow poach in clarified butter with some garlic or dust it with porcini powder and sear it, served with searned gnocci, mustard greens and mushroom jus. . .

Alright, I gotta have it, I just gotta. . . wahoo!!!!!!! I mean. . .uh, Ono. . . That is your ingredient. . . with chanterelles, shallots and. . . umm. . . hibiscus (HAHAHAHAHA!)

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
Haggis said:
OK, Emeril...I mean Weren. I have several Alaskan rockfish filets. I caught 'em so I might as well cook and eat 'em. Any recipe ideas?

I friggin hate Emeril LaJackAss. . . next time we come face to face. . . BAM!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
WerenCole said:
Rockfish. . . . either slow poach in clarified butter with some garlic or dust it with porcini powder and sear it, served with searned gnocci, mustard greens and mushroom jus. . .

Alright, I gotta have it, I just gotta. . . wahoo!!!!!!! I mean. . .uh, Ono. . . That is your ingredient. . . with chanterelles, shallots and. . . umm. . . hibiscus (HAHAHAHAHA!)

Damn, Weren. I never, ever, considered poaching in clarified butter. It sounds so...so decadent. I love it.

I love porcini, but I never heard of porcini powder. I'll have to find it. Or make it. I imagine you'd use a rather light touch on the porcini powder, right? Chanterelles and shallots. Ummmmm. Can I add morels? Or...gasp...truffels? Never mind. I can't afford truffels.

I'll add the hibuscus to the poached pear salad, which sounds awesome too.

More. I want more.

Emeril bites.

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. . . light on porcini powder. . . you can get some dried porcinis and whip em up in a coffee grinder (the old style one that looks like a can. . . the type I used to ground pot with for joints. . .)

morels. . . yes. . .

by the way, I hate hibiscus. . .

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
WerenCole said:
by the way, I hate hibiscus. . .

They're pretty to look at though.

I'm making it Sunday. With morels, if I can still find them. Fresh corn on the cob. God, I'm dying here.

Thanks, Weren.

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
Can I cook that dog in your avatar just to make it go away?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
WerenCole said:
Can I cook that dog in your avatar just to make it go away?

Sammy's precious, but he has been dead for 4 or 5 months, so I guess it's okay. A simple side of angel hair pasta with garlic and olive oil. That should do it.:D

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
:( Awww.

I hate it when people talk about animals dying. The last family funeral I went to, all I did was drink the coffee and steal biscuits and condiments, but whenever an animal (doesn't even have to be mine), I'm torn up for months.

I'm still sad about my hamster. Viva la Spuds McKenzie.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! HEY, I threw you an easy one! And who said we were allowed out of this kitchen to shop? Ok then, I get to provide some of my own ingredients for this one.
Well, since I was steaming these clams for my lunch, I’m reserving ½ cup of the stock. I guess I won’t be drinking the rest of this light Sherry either.
Ok First I start my rice. Since I have Basmati, I’ll use Basmati. I’ll slice the shallots so they are nice little medallions. I’m also going to dice some bok choy, and julienne one big carrot. I’m going to take the other carrot and slice it and carve it until I have cute lil carrot flowers. Then I slice the chanterelles. I’ve also got some fresh cilantro and lemongrass that’s prepped and put aside and I’ve sliced off and diced up about a ½ tsp of fresh ginger.
I cut up the nice Ono into several pieces that are between 4 and 6 oz each. I stick it under the broiler for 4 min on each side then remove.
I take this nice skillet and I melt 3 tbsp of butter then add my julienned carrots, bokchoy, and shallots… I saute them for 1 min then add the chanterelles, lemon grass, cilantro, ginger and the clam juice and ½ cup of the sherry. I stir until it simmers and then I add just enough cornstarch to make it thicken. I pour this sauce over the fish and top it with my carrot flowers.
The hibiscus I turn into a nice jam. I make shortcake, cut them open and stuff them with the hibiscus jam, put a dollop of jam on top and top that with some whipped cream and a sprig of mint. ( I hope I don't kill anyone...)

Ok then:. Dried blackbeans. Starfruit. Fresh corn. Pork loin.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
Can I come over?

You are already here. Everyone is. Who's going to eat what we cook? Certainly not us...we're tasting as we go. Just sit over there, MM It is a big kitchen.
Duck! I just threw a dead pig ( well parts of it) at Weren.

Status
Not open for further replies.