Author Supplies Copies

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
On one agency website, in the terms and conditions, it said it didn't charge fees, but, "It is usually the author's responsibility, however, to provide copies of his or her manuscript for submission to editors." This was on the website of a reputable agency.

Is this the norm?

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
I don't believe that's normal.

I give my agent a copy of the book. He makes copies, mails 'em out, and all that good stuff. Photocopying charges and postage are deducted from my advance. (Which means if he doesn't sell it, he never gets that money back.)

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Yay. My, "This seems weird," senses mut be improving. The thing is, this is an agency, according to the Watercooler and other places I've research, that is reputable. Would it be appropriate for me to drop the name?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Sure!

And it's not standard, but it's not unheard of. I work with one agent (very reputable) who asks the same thing. Guess he wants to save the trip to Kinko's.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I found that on The Knight Agency's website. I suppose, if they offered representation, it would be no reason to refuse. By the way, I am a board fanatic now. Woo hoo for me. Let's throw me a party.

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
Provrb1810meggy said:
I found that on The Knight Agency's website. I suppose, if they offered representation, it would be no reason to refuse. By the way, I am a board fanatic now. Woo hoo for me. Let's throw me a party.

I took a look at the site, and it says that authors are "usually" expected to supply copies. So I imagine there's some wiggle room, especially if you're unemployed or something and the whole pitch process will be marooned because you can't afford to make and ship five or ten copies.

My own (very reputable) agent has the option of billing me periodically for these expenses, rather than waiting for the advance, but he hasn't done that and doesn't intend to. I think it's something he just keeps in his pocket in case he gets really annoyed at someone.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
copies

It's not unusual, and most agents give the writer the option. It's often easier, cheaper, and faster to supply teh copies yourself.