Tarot Card Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I can't find my thread about tarot cards, but I had another quick question. My story is about an incubus, so I was wondering if there was a tarot card that represented lust, particularly in a darker, negative context.

Also, what is the name for the suit cards, and the other cards? Is it major and minor arcana? which is which? Thanks.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I'm no expert, I haven't worked with the cards for years, but here's what I remember:
Major arcana are the archetype cards (fool, magician, devil...)
Minor arcana are the suit cards (like playing cards)
The 4 suits are cups (love), swords (strife), coins (money), wands (power? I can't recall). They may have other names like staff or disk depending on the deck.

I'm sorry, but I can't recall if there is a particular card that would suit an incubus. I was taught that the "face" cards (king, queen, knight) represent people. Maybe a combination of the the Lovers upside down and a face card for a dark woman would work.

Hope that helps!

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
well - not specifically. there are many Tarot decks, with as many interpretations. the most imaginative imo is prolly the alister crowly tarot. i'm sure you can google for 'tarot decks'.

generally, XV is 'the devil' (major arcana). this can represent a person's paralysing fears, temptation, schizofrenia, and a host of other *imagined* or manufactured ills. i supose this one would be the most likely contender.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, you two! I have decided to include The Devil, since it's a demon.

Can anyone tell me exactly what the Lovers card inverted means? Thanks.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There are always diverse interpretations. The lovers card generally represents an important choice. Other meanings tend to come from the surrouning cards. It is not always a matter of romance. I would also go for the devil to indicate an incubus.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
the lovers reversed can mean many things: a missed/lost opportunity to share/communicate; a quarrel; wrong choice in partner / choice of association; adultery; being deserted by your significant other; choosing to go it alone after turning down a proposal of some kind (not necessarily romantic or erotic)... something along those lines ;-P

oh, and that's 'allister' i think - 2 l's.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
It's a long time since I've had any involvement with the tarot, but isn't the queen of cups representative of Love? If so - would the Queen of Cups inverted work for lust?

gromhard

Banned
Reaction score
Rider Waite is the most popular Tarot Card Set. I'm sure you've seen it.
Angelinity's avatar is the fool from that deck.
I however prefer the Albano-Waite deck as it's more vibrant and colorful.(same cards, just retouched, infact I'm pretty sure Angelinity's avatar is from the Albano-Waite version and not the Rider Waite version.)

The Devil would be a good card. It's the card for male sexual energy which is why the "Devil" is depicted, ala Pan, Kernunnos(celtic fertility god), The "Horned One". In some decks I've seen the devil is even depicted with a giant oversized phallus.

the suits are
Disks(Pentacles) - Earth Element - (material matters, monies, home)
Wands - Fire Element - (passions)
Swords - Air Element - (brain, intellect)
Cups - Water Element - (heart, emotions)

Some people don't use "inverted" cards. A big debate exists as to the authenticity of inverting a card, the philosophy is (1. If you stack and shuffle your cards CORRECTLY there won't BE any inverted cards and 2. The tarot cards are so informative as is that there's no such thing as a "dignified" and "ill dignified" version of them....You get what you get positive AND negative qualities )
However many if not most "professional" fortune tellers use the inverted cards. And in that case the lovers inverted is heartbreak, break-up, hatred, spoiled love, negative obscession.

~Grom-Use'd to supplment my income reading palms and cards-hard

Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
Actually my late husband was an awesome reader - I dont know where you get the impression that if you shuffle the deck correctly there will be no upside down cards. A good reader first of all doesnt suffle - the one being read does. And a good reader will actually encourage the shuffler to turn cards any which way he or she wants - just for the purpose of allowing the cards to fall into a natural formation - rightside up or upside down. I watched my husband read for almost 30 years - and if anyone actually split the cards in half and started to "shuffle" the traditional way one would shuffle a regular deck, he would immediately stop them and encourage them to shuffle by mixing the cards. The actual shuffle would only really serve to blend the two halves of the deck -- it wouldnt actually allow the one being read to put their own aura or essence into the order of the cards. It should help you to know that Aleister Crowley father of modern witchcraft and creator of the Thoth deck used the word "Lust" on the card traditionally named Strength or Fortitude. It is interesting to note that the Strength card usually represents a woman and a lion, and yet it is the woman who has dominance and control. I know Wikipedia isnt the most reliable source, but here's some info on the Thoth deck, which my husband used and loved, although he most commonly used the Waite deck. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoth_Tarot

Hope that helps. Persi

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
[quote=Celia Cyanide]what do you mean by "Rider-Waite"? Whichever card that is, that would be exactly what I need. Thanks so much for your help, everyone.[/quote]

My avatar is from The Rider-Waite deck. There are lots of cool decks, including a Salvador Dali deck and Aleister Crowley deck. Rider-Waite is the most frequently used. On that deck, I always associated The Devil most w/ lust. The Queen of Cups could also represent a woman w/ light brown hair.

Cards reversed aren't always the opposite; sometimes they carry the same attributes to a lesser or greater degree,

Status
Not open for further replies.