New here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannonstar81

Hello everybody, I have stumbled across this forum and am quite impressed by the likes of it. I guess I could tell you a little about myself: I'm 22 and other then the required essays in english and my 20 pound journal I haven't written much. I have been told I have a gift, but I'm sure that could be argued. From my user name you could guess the name is Shannon and that would be correct.

I do have a question for all out there that care: I am quite interested in finding out if I do have what it takes to be published, where do I begin? Writing seems to come easy for me (which I'm sure it does for all of you as well) and if I could only escape all the ideas that float around in my head I might one day seem sane. So if there are books I should read or if I should just write, I am not quite sure.

Any help would be great. The first project I would like to attack would be a book about the death of my daughter and the miracle of another.

Thanks!

Lori Basiewicz

I am quite interested in finding out if I do have what it takes to be published, where do I begin?

Shannon, there are many schools of thought as to how to begin. Yes, there are books out there designed to help the beginning writer. Some are better than others. Some are better for some writers than others. Sometimes, it is just a matter of submitting something somewhere in order to get over that first hurdle.

In my opinion, there are as many paths to becoming a writer as there are writers. I'm certain you are in the process of doing this, but if you check out some of the past threads, you will read about some of the paths many of us are currently following. Perhaps you will find one that is right for you.

. . . if I could only escape all the ideas that float around in my head I might one day seem sane.

If you succeed in your quest to become a professional writer, the voices in your head will not go away. They will, however, invite their friends. If you are like me, you will find yourself walking through parking lots and carrying on conversations with them. And, if you are like me, when you are doing so, you will run into someone you know and want to impress.

The first project I would like to attack would be a book about the death of my daughter and the miracle of another.

Although I am a stranger, I would like to offer my condolences on your lost. I think you will find many kind souls and kindred spirits here who have poured both their grief and joy into their writing.

Stephenie Hovland

Welcome Shannon,

It sounds like you've got a great start to being a published writer. Now, you need to focus those ideas and write. If you don't write, don't submit manuscripts, don't go out on a limb once in awhile - - you probably won't feel fulfilled.

I'm new too, so don't take my advice as gold. But, what I've seen here and read in books tells me that I need to just do it. Read, research, talk, listen and write.

Stephenie

qatz

Re: Shannon

Hi Shannon, and like Lori I send my sadness over your terrible loss. At the same time, I am very happy you were blessed with another baby!
And, thirdly, I have a bit of advice--the best way to start writing is to start writing! Write about the baby or whatever you choose that's important to you. Write a story if you like. Post it or send it to me for a review (double click on my name for my address). It is very unlikely that a first time writer will be a million seller but another 22 yr old on this board is right now cranking out very good stories, so it can happen. You have had a lot of life already, so it can be you too, if you work at it. There are lots of young writers here about your age and many older more grizzled writers with good advice from different perspectives. Welcome! Q

Status
Not open for further replies.