PDA

View Full Version : Law Enforcement and Shotguns.

Novelust
08-10-2006, 08:18 AM
(Please forgive any hugely idiotic assumptions I might have made in the post below.)

This is present day, mind:

Imagine you're a Sheriff's Deputy. You speed to the scene of a crime in progress - major violence is happening outside. You've got a sidearm, but you're going to need more stopping power. You reach for your shotgun.

1) Where is it located in the car?
2) Is there any particular brand/kind it's likely to be?
3) The most important: how many shots are you going to be able to fire? I've read that different shotguns have different capacities - is 5 shots plausible?

I've done a bit of research, but I have a large knowledge gap when it comes to all things law enforcement. Could anyone recommend a good law enforcement reference for writers (I spotted a few at Amazon)?

alleycat
08-10-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm not a police expert, but here's a few things I do know.

1) Where is it located in the car? Probably mounted on a rack between the driver and passenger compartment for a patrol car (a grille is also mounted between the two areas). I've also seen them carried in the trunk.

2) Is there any particular brand/kind it's likely to be? A Remington pump is a popular brand/type (the civilian version is a popular hunting shotgun). There are others such as Mossberg.

3) The most important: how many shots are you going to be able to fire? I've read that different shotguns have different capacities - is 5 shots plausible? Police shotguns have extended magazine, up to seven or eight rounds for some of them. Five rounds is absolutely possible. Just for a general reference, many shotgun used for hunting are limited in their capacity by being "plugged" -- which is just a wood or plastic insert that limits the number of rounds that can be loaded. They could actually hold more rounds if they weren't plugged.

triceretops
08-10-2006, 11:18 AM
Console/dash mounted in the upright position (butt on the floorboard)

Remington 12-guage

Five shots is fine

Tri

Novelust
08-11-2006, 03:54 AM
Thanks, all! That was a huge help. :)

Mayor of Moronia
08-11-2006, 04:19 AM
I already did the research.

12 gauge with #1 buck shot. Number One buckshot has the best penetration with Nine 30 caliber pellets. Larger and smaller pellets wont go in so far. Sawing off the barrel doesnt help. And #1 buckshot allows you to be a little further away from your target and still stop them.

asorum
08-11-2006, 04:20 AM
Our PD has them mounted in racks on the center console. Most LE shotguns have an extension on the ammo tube. They hold 7 rounds. There are many choices, Mossberg, Winchester, Remington.

rugcat
08-11-2006, 04:42 AM
The info from previous posters is correct.

There are also departments that load the shotguns in such fashion so the last two rounds are rifle slugs - basically one large chunk of metal. These can be useful for such things as disabling a vehicle, by punching a hole through the front grill and radiator, for example.

kristie911
08-11-2006, 06:10 AM
The two Sheriff Departments I work with mounts their shotguns in the trunks on the new cars...unfortunately, cars are getting smaller and there just isn't room in the interior anymore for them. The newer radio equipment gets in the way too so they can't mount them to the dash either. So, consequently, they are either cased in the trunk or sometimes mounted to the trunk lid.

On the older cars they are still on the cage between the front and back seats.

And, they carry both the Remington's and Mossberg's, though the new orders are all Mossberg's...not sure why they're getting away from the Remingtons...

BradyH1861
08-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I carry a Remington Pump. It is in a rack in the trunk (along with the AR-15). That isn't a handy spot to carry it, but I don't have the room in the car. I've been trying to trade in the shotgun and get a Thompson instead, but the state won't let me. :cry: