PDA

View Full Version : Do you fall in love with your hero?

Becky Writes
08-09-2006, 11:02 PM
I love Michael Brooks. I want to marry him. He reminds me a lot of my husband, but Michael is way hotter! :wink

(BTW, his name is the middle names of two of my Children, Timothy Michael and Amanda Brooke)

PattiTheWicked
08-10-2006, 12:51 AM
Absolutely, positively, definitely. If Cayden Spalding came knocking on my door, I'd run off to Scotland with him right NOW.

Marlys
08-10-2006, 01:48 AM
I've only fallen in love with one of my heroes. Unfortunately, he lived back in the Middle Ages. And he was gay.

Stacia Kane
08-10-2006, 01:51 AM
I fell totally and completely in love with my medieval hero, too. I still think about him and can't wait for his book to come out. He's my favorite hero ever.

Yes, I do. I can't write them effectively if I don't love them at least a little bit.

Cathy C
08-10-2006, 02:04 AM
Me, personally? No. When I write, I'm "channeling" my heroine--roleplaying, as it were. SHE falls in love and I thrill in the emotions she feels, but once the book is done, I'm just Cathy again. My own hero, my DH, wouldn't make a very good romantic hero. He's a bit TOO romantic and we've never in our 20 years had any conflict. He wouldn't be believable. :ROFL:

sunandshadow
08-10-2006, 03:49 AM
In a gay romance it's arguable which of the characters is the hero, but yes there's one I'm in love with. It's not that I fell in love with him after I created him, it's that I created the story to give me a setting in which I coul imagine romancing my dream lover.

kristie911
08-10-2006, 03:52 AM
Oh my gosh, I certainly do. Who wouldn't love Dean Jackson? He's a tall, dark and handsome cowboy. My favorite kind of man. Of course, I'm just happy that he and Shawna Butler fell in love by the end of my novel...it was touch and go for awhile!

JanDarby
08-10-2006, 03:54 AM
I was going to say I'm weird, which I am, but at least this time I'm in good company (with Cathy C), b/c my heroes are right for my heroines, but wouldn't necessarily be right for me. So, no, I don't fall in love with my heroes, but my heroines do.

JD

TrainofThought
08-10-2006, 05:07 AM
My main character isn't actually a hero, but yes, I do love him. He is a HOTTY and my imaginary love.

Writing Jedi
08-10-2006, 07:34 AM
While I adore my hero, I actually fell more in love with my villain! And I am not even attracted to "bad boys" normally. :Shrug:

dragonjax
08-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Nope. I like him fine (and I deep like the bad boy counter interest), but love? Nopers.

(Although in the second book, that deep like for the bad boy is seriously kicked up a notch. Or two.)

Love how Cathy put it -- it's all about the heroine. As long as SHE loves him, I'm quite satisfied.

nanagain
08-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm very much in love with mine, he's got my husband's personality, blue eyes & name. I just gave him the body I wished my husband had!

HoosierCowgirl
08-18-2006, 12:24 AM
Nana -- love it!

Over the years my heroes changed from idealized, to a lot like DH (personality wise -- looks vary) to a combination of my husband and how I *hope* my sons will turn out. I guess a combination of real and ideal.

One of the fun parts of being a writer.

Ann

Lolly
08-20-2006, 12:02 AM
Oh, yes, I've got a crush on mine. I modeled him on one of my heroes from TV. :D

Sonarbabe
08-20-2006, 04:15 AM
Can't believe I missed this thread. I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm in love with my hero, but if Jed Carlton ever asked me out for coffee, I would be hard pressed to turn him down. Tall, black hair, blue-green eyes. Yum. However, like Cathy and Jackie I'm more into it for my heroine's sake. I feel her love for him and the exhilieration she feels when she learns that he loves her too.

Serena Casey
08-20-2006, 06:02 AM
And here I thought I was in need of psychological help because I'm in love with my MC! :heart: I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one. :)

Rosie_81
08-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Yes, I think its safe to say I did fall for the hero in my novel.

It might sound a bit daft but a few years before I even thought about writing, I dreamt I got pregnant :eek: by this guy who felt so real, in the dream I knew his name and everything! Years later I still remembered the dream and I made him the hero of my book.

triceretops
08-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I want female editors to fall in love with my heros. My agent and I have already fallen in love with my heroines. Duh, I'm a guy, can't ya tell?

Tri

Irysangel
08-20-2006, 07:31 PM
I don't fall in love with my heroes. Half the time I make them extremely arrogant, difficult to read, and with major issues.

In short, I try to make them like most of the guys I know. *g*

But they seem to do it for my heroines. What works for her, won't work for me, though.

maestrowork
08-20-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm not in love with my heroes (Gawd, no) but definitely a few of my heroines -- I was insanely in love with Kate in The Pacific Between, and am currently in love with Grace (my WIP). For one thing, my protagonists are usually very flawed. What is really important is that my READERS fall in love with them. I've heard a few telling me that they did... that's really a great thing to hear, as a writer.

Susan Gable
08-20-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm not in love with my heroes (Gawd, no) but definitely a few of my heroines -- I was insanely in love with Kate in The Pacific Between, and am currently in love with Grace (my WIP). For one thing, my protagonists are usually very flawed. What is really important is that my READERS fall in love with them. I've heard a few telling me that they did... that's really a great thing to hear, as a writer.

Ray, I think you're cool. :) It's good to see you over here in the Romance section. I also think it's cool that you love your heroines. Tri, nice to see you here, too. Thanks to both of you for providing us with some male POV here. :)

I am more like Cathy, a channeler of my characters, so I don't know if I can say exactly that I ever "fall in love" with my heroes, but I do LOVE them, and find them lovable -- but that could be my heroines spilling over. <G>

A character we create SHOULD be one that we could see ourselves falling for. Otherwise we may have done something wrong. (Uhhh, unless we're talking villian here. You might not want to love the villian. but the rest of this applies to villians as well: ) They should have both good points, and bad ones, things that both attract and annoy their opposite partner. Cause that's how we are, right? The people we love have traits that endear them to us, and also drive us INSANE. <G>

Susan G.

BarbaraSheridan
08-20-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm not in love with my heroes (Gawd, no)

Well gosh darn it. have you NO sense of adventure? :tongue

Personally, I adore my heroes even the ones who walk the anti-hero line as most of the recent ones do. Bad Boys are soooo good.

maestrowork
08-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Well, Susan, since Borders shelfs my book under "Romance," I guess I'm technically a romance writer. :)

Stacia Kane
08-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Squee! A cute boy romance writer!

Susan Gable
08-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Well, Susan, since Borders shelfs my book under "Romance," I guess I'm technically a romance writer. :)

LOL - COOL!

Borders putting you in romance is probably a very good thing - cause lots of people browse those shelves. :)

Susan G.

glutton
08-21-2006, 03:51 AM
I write fantasy (though with a fair deal of romance), but when I saw the title of this thread on the main index page I was compelled to react. I'm male and I love most of my heroines. Rose, who I've posted many stories of, is such a nice, sensitive, selfless sweetheart, how could you not love her? Still gentle, almost innocent, after everything she's suffered and everyone she's killed. Meeting her, you wouldn't ever think she's slain thousands of enemies. Chrissy, not necessarily the smartest person around, but she's got enough spirit for a whole family. Gusto, gusto! Good thing for her that she's tough enough, that she can do with a little less between her ears... Brianna, even after her whole family was murdered, she was still the optimist between her and her husband. This simple country girl stood up to a pack of (literally) monstrous assassins in defense of her son, and managed to carry him down the road far enough to be rescued with a deep gut wound. Alicia, well, she's an arrogant, irresponsible, self-centered jerk. But even so, she can back up everything she says and then some; she's too damn cool to hate... what a rant lol. Yeah, I love my tough girls.

Edit: Sorry, Mildy, how could I forget ya? Well, I think of her more as a buddy than a possible love interest. Hey, she does suffer the same problem in her book, that no one seems to be willing to give romance with her a chance... except freakin' Achilles in the sequel (long story)! It takes a real man to handle women like these!

maestrowork
08-21-2006, 04:24 AM
LOL - COOL!

Borders putting you in romance is probably a very good thing - cause lots of people browse those shelves. :)

Susan G.

:) However, I don't want them to take the book home and discover it's not a genre romance and swear at me, "WTF is this?" False expectation, you know?

So, it could work against me.

Susan Gable
08-21-2006, 05:09 AM
:) However, I don't want them to take the book home and discover it's not a genre romance and swear at me, "WTF is this?" False expectation, you know?

So, it could work against me.

If they email you with complaints, tell them you don't decide where the bookstores shelf your book.

Does the story have a positive ending? If so, you're probably okay these days. :)

Susan G.

maestrowork
08-21-2006, 05:15 AM
No comment. ;) Read it! :) It does have a really cute author's picture in the back. I hope that sells books. LOL LOL LOL

aruna
08-21-2006, 04:42 PM

well goddammit, Ray, you had me fooled! I thought you were in love with Lian!

(And ps, Susan. Do read Ray's book.)

maestrowork
08-21-2006, 06:33 PM
See, Sharon, how I can separate the author from the character! Hee hee.

ETA: I didn't mean to kill the thread. Please continue on and pretend I don't exist.

Cat Scratch
08-25-2006, 06:49 AM
While I adore my hero, I actually fell more in love with my villain! And I am not even attracted to "bad boys" normally. :Shrug:

This happened to me, too! Good, I'm not alone.

tarra74
08-26-2006, 03:45 AM
I have never fallen in love with any of my heros, but if Blade Thorn from Right Here Waiting (a book that Amanda Baker and co-wrote together - we're still shopping it around and trying to find a publisher) was real, I'd fall in love with him.

RationalIdealist
06-09-2014, 05:44 AM
Well...

The thing is, I really cared about the hero of my first novel, but with a (for the most part) sisterly affection. In my current WIP, which is more women's fiction than romance, the heroine has three men whom she meets and really falls for. The first one I am charmed by but am not in love with, the second I feel for but could never love romantically, and the third is based on my hopes for my future husband. The sad part is that if I follow the outline I'm working with at present this last guy never gets to appear in the actual book.

lianna williamson
06-09-2014, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't say I'm in love with my heroes in the sense of "I'd marry this guy if he was real"; as others have said, he's a fit for my heroine, not for me. And one of my pet peeves is Romance writers who write the same hero over and over (thinly disguised as a new guy), who is pretty obviously their own idealized love interest.

That said, if I don't have a crush on the hero, I can't write the romance-- just like if I don't want to be friends with the heroine, I can't write her story.

CharlieLyons
06-10-2014, 01:16 AM
I fall in love with my heroes. Each and every one. So far, I tend write heroes who are my type. Fortunately, my heroines all have a bit of me in them, so I know something about me could appeal to (perfectly flawed, sexy, intelligent) guys like my heroes. At least in my own mind!

CharlieLyons
06-10-2014, 01:21 AM
the third is based on my hopes for my future husband. The sad part is that if I follow the outline I'm working with at present this last guy never gets to appear in the actual book.

Maybe hopes-for-future-husband guy is destined for his own book?

Renee J
06-10-2014, 01:28 AM
I think it's just lust.

Deb Kinnard
06-10-2014, 02:49 AM
But will he still respect me in the morning?

When ANGEL WITH A RAY GUN got published, I sorta had a crush on my hero, Matt Greenlee. But I got fan/hate mail about him once the book released.

Letter 1: "Where has this guy BEEN all my life? He's perf! Did you model him on a real guy, and if you did, is he single, and if he is, can I have his phone number?"

Letter 2: "This male MC is the worst hero I have ever read. You need to pull this book, trash this Matt Greenlee slob, and rewrite him from scratch. I hated him like buckets."

Just goes to show, one woman's twuue lurrrve is another woman's hatred generator.

thedark
06-10-2014, 04:41 AM
I love this thread.

And I love my antagonist, because even though he spends the first third of the novel thrashing his captive, my female main character, he's not really the bad guy.

To put that another way, I've seen some folks on this thread say that they've written their ideal love interest. Well, I wrote my ideal captor. Vicious, but possessive. Wicked smart, but not arrogant. Manipulative as all hell, demonstrated with gentleness after brutality, but somehow still trustworthy.

My readers love my main character; they root for her; they fight with her; they want to see her tear him down. ("Please tell me she boils him alive, or stabs him 43 times in the gut." "I can't wait until she destroys him.")

Then they start rooting for him, too, for there are worse bad guys in the story, and they are also after the girl. ("I want to believe she belongs to him." "Don't tear them apart, please.")

It's not a love story. It's not a romance.

But I would give him my soul if he was my captor.

RationalIdealist
06-10-2014, 07:55 AM
Maybe hopes-for-future-husband guy is destined for his own book?

His own real-life incarnation, hopefully. :)

slashedkaze
06-10-2014, 11:12 AM
I don't fall in love with my heroes. I just like watching them fall for each other. :D

LJD
06-10-2014, 04:20 PM
I do a little bit, but usually they're not really my type.

tylermarab1987
06-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Not really. I guess because my book isn't romantic. I actually want to spank my 12 year old MC's ass. Oh, wow, I just now seen this in the romance section after posted, sorry.

I wrote an erotica once, but it was more akin to more, no love there.

Filigree
06-10-2014, 07:40 PM
I like my characters, but I don't fall in love with them. I frequently have to be mean to them, after all.

Marlys
06-10-2014, 08:00 PM
So weird to see this thread resurface after eight years...

thedark
06-10-2014, 08:25 PM
So weird to see this thread resurface after eight years...

Like a ghost to come back and haunt you, or like an old friend, holding your hand in the night?

slicing_angel2003
06-11-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm not going to fight a thread resurfacing. I missed this when it was first going.

I don't fall in love with my main characters. I love them in a sisterly, motherly kind of way. I've only ever fallen in love with one of the characters in my stories and he's been a side character is several stories. He's very stand back and let you do what you're going to do. If you mess up he'll be there to help, but he'll be snickering if you're not too hurt.

I've never thrown him in the spotlight and I think part of that is because I just can't seem to find the right character to mirror him. I've tried creating to partner for him. I tried both female and male characters, but there was always something about their personality that just screamed "He'll never deal with that for long."

Andieee
06-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Of course I fall in love with my characters. That 'love' keeps me writing, developping them and eventually wanting the others to fall in love with them. I love each and every single one of my characters, be they heroes, baddies or just less significant protagonists.
Now, about that romantic kind of love, I'd be a liar if I said I'm not liking my male characters since I tend to create them after the image of my boyfriend. I can't help it. D:

ALEXA2014
06-21-2014, 01:20 AM
I used to, but not anymore. Now I prefer readers to love my hero.

noraline
06-26-2014, 09:25 PM
I sort of view my characters as my family, or maybe even my children so to say :D I love them, but I'm not ~in love~ with them, you know?

soho-syndrome
07-21-2014, 07:48 PM
I think most romance writers (including myself) all love or have fallen in love with their lead men at some point.

Besides, you gotta love your imaginary man first before anyone else can :D

V.J. Allison
07-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Guess I'm weird because although I like the heroes I've written, I wouldn't say I've "fallen" for them or even had a crush on them. Yes, they're all sweet and nice guys but none will ever come close to my husband for me! ;)

chompers
07-21-2014, 08:34 PM
I'm writing a YA where I'm not in love with my MMC, but I'm so PROUD of him. Just as if I'm his mother. haha. I puff up with pride when he does something good. Haha.

But in my normal (adult) works, yeah, I tend to have a little crush on my MMCs, but that's mostly because I tend to write them to have the qualities that I like in a guy. Like I can't stand books where a guy is a douche and all these women are fawning over him. Who wants a jerk in real life (well, for the most part)?

BarbaraSheridan
07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm writing a YA where I'm not in love with my MMC, but I'm so PROUD of him. Just as if I'm his mother. haha. I puff up with pride when he does something good. Haha.

But in my normal (adult) works, yeah, I tend to have a little crush on my MMCs...

I'm the same on both the YA and adult guy characters front. It's nice to know I'm not as off the wall as I feared. ;)

scifi_boy2002
07-21-2014, 11:27 PM
I'm attracted to Dhana, but I don't know if I could love her. She is quick to get angry and don't know how it would work out. I'm pretty easy going and she is offended easily. She is also a vegetarian and I'm not. I don't think she would care for that.

Hildegarde
07-21-2014, 11:38 PM
Both my current projects are m/m - and yeah, I'm madly in love with all four of the MCs.

Cella
07-21-2014, 11:39 PM
I did.

But he rejected me. Twice!

Aimless Lady
07-22-2014, 06:40 AM
I was going to say I'm weird, which I am, but at least this time I'm in good company (with Cathy C), b/c my heroes are right for my heroines, but wouldn't necessarily be right for me. So, no, I don't fall in love with my heroes, but my heroines do.

JD

Me three.

FCChen
07-22-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't honestly know if I personally would fall in love with my heroes... but fall in lust, definitely maybe... :D

The one I'm writing currently is kind of a fit for how I am personally, so if I were to choose between the men I've written, Dmitri Marchetti would be my #1 pick!

j p lundstrom
08-10-2014, 11:52 PM
Whew! I was beginning to worry. I was hearing love songs in Spanish every time I sat down to write. (Part of my background research.) My bad guy took over the whole story. He's mean, he's conniving, he's a crook, but he's smart and hot, to boot. And after he met my heroine, he had a change of heart--she loves him, and I do, too.

malamute
08-11-2014, 12:11 AM
I fall in love/lust with every one of my heroes, can't be helped :)

s.j.l
08-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Oh definitely, but the bastard doesn't want me. He's had his sights set on my other MC and won't be swayed :(
Now I just cheer for him (while I imagine other stuff I could be doing with him) :)

morngnstar
11-16-2014, 07:02 AM
I fell in love with my heroine, but maybe more like you'd love a daughter. Try telling that to my wife, though. Okay, she's only a little jealous, actually.

EJMatthews
12-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Definitely agree with maestrowork about flawed characters being more attractive.

Hard to say whether I'm "in love" with the hero of my current piece. I definitely love him in that I empathize with him as an embodiment of some of my own biggest hang-ups and fears. Some of the scrapes he gets himself into make me cringe. Then again, I engineered him to fail. He's breakable.

Probably the best part has been writing a heroine who takes the time to get to know him, really getting under his skin. She ultimately surprised me by stepping up to the plate and rescuing him a few times; I hadn't foreseen that quality in her. Each time she sweeps in and saves him makes me do a little fist pump behind my laptop screen where no one can see.

More than being "in love" with them, I think I'm proud--that were they real, these are people I'd be glad to have in my life.

-Eric

Wren Winters
01-30-2015, 03:37 AM
I adore my dragon shifter hero.

PamelaC
02-11-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm definitely infatuated at least! I figure I've got to feel about him the way I want my prospective readers to feel about him. In fact, when I started writing this (2 nights ago) after he popped into my head, I felt like I'd just started a new romance in real life. I've been walking on air! :)

FLChicken
02-23-2015, 08:55 PM
Yes, most definitely. He has many of the qualities I love to see in men. But, he's most suited for my heroine, so I guess I will keep my hubby around. ;)

chelsea
02-24-2015, 11:08 PM
No because he belongs with my heroine, she is the perfect girl for him. I love my characters like I love and care about my friends. My husband is the guy for me, of course I wouldn't mind if he had my hero's body but he still looks pretty good to me.

andiwrite
02-25-2015, 02:44 AM
I am madly in love with all of my male MCs. Like, tossing and turning, sick to my stomach, can't sleep at night sort of love. It fuels my writing.

When I die and arrive at heaven, I'm convinced that all my male characters will all be waiting for me, and my God are we going to party. :D

Ravioli
02-25-2015, 03:44 AM
Mine is based on my crush, so...
But the other way around, I'm also getting attached :gaah I've made him that typical hot mess I love so much. Wretched, wrecked, wicked, but awwww look he has a pet bunny! *ahem*
Recently had a guy over. Wasn't cutting it. Fantasized my hero into his place instead. Now that was a "date". Also, my actual crush apparently hating me and being so far away and all, my hero based on him is actually doing a fine job replacing him. After all, we rarely did talk. I was just drooling at his sight, is all. Am I a sad case? Yeah, I am LOL :yessmiley

andiwrite
02-27-2015, 12:47 AM
Recently had a guy over. Wasn't cutting it. Fantasized my hero into his place instead.

Haha! Thank God it isn't only me! :) It's only recently that I've been involved with a nice man who compares to my heroes. All the guys before him... blecchhhh. lol

brainstorm77
02-27-2015, 01:52 AM
No. I've liked plenty of my heroes, but I have never loved any of them

OceanMadness
02-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Anafel is me, or at least the physical manifestation of everything wrong inside me. He has felt twisted and weird most of his life, he's full of anger and insecurity, and he's kind of an asshole.* He is VERY like me in that he's always worried about doing The Right Thing and never feeling equal to the task. He fears always that he is a terrible person.

I got it worked out - he's my Id and my heroine Elen is my superego. With him it's all about redemption and with her it's all about identity. I'm with chelsea in that he is more suited for my heroine than for myself personally. He's totally sexy but this is not a guy I would ever hook up with. I love my characters unconditionally, more like children than lovers. With Fel I spend more time wanting to protect him than wanting to screw him.

*Note: I am not an asshole.

(I apologize if this post is off color for this forum? This is my first post and I tend to cuss like Salinger.)

StoryofWoe
02-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I'm guilty of growing attached to some of my male characters. It's particularly obvious when I'm brainstorming a new story and they keep popping up where they don't belong and I have to swat them away. ("Hey, get outta here! Not your turn!") As for falling "in love" with them...maybe. Or perhaps I've just been single for too long. :tongue

andiwrite
03-01-2015, 01:17 AM
This thread makes me think of another question, which is, do any of you imagine yourself as your heroine? I'd think that would play a role in how deeply you might fall in love with the male lead.

Quentin Nokov
03-01-2015, 04:04 AM
This thread makes me think of another question, which is, do any of you imagine yourself as your heroine? I'd think that would play a role in how deeply you might fall in love with the male lead.

I fall in love with all my characters :) Some of my stories I do imagine myself as the protagonist--not all of them, but some.

amergina
03-01-2015, 04:13 AM
I generally love the snot about of my heroes. I alternate between wanting them and wanting to be them.

Chumplet
03-01-2015, 04:27 AM
In my hockey romance, I had a pretty serious crush on my hero. The female protagonist wasn't necessarily the same as me, though.

In my next book, the heroine was similar to me. She didn't end up with her crush, but with another character that is based on a person I don't personally have any interest in. That's the magic of fiction.

In my latest (on submission) I kinda have a special place in my heart for the geriatric ex-rocker who might be a basket case, or not. It's more about the complexity of the character now, than the hotness, I guess. Must be getting old.

WriterInChains
03-01-2015, 05:24 AM
I fall in love every time. In MM i usually love MC#2 harder, probably because i spend so much time in MC#1's head looking at him through rose-colored glasses. :)

With opposite-sex romances, i get it bad for both the MCs.

andiwrite
03-08-2015, 11:04 AM
I fall in love with all my characters :) Some of my stories I do imagine myself as the protagonist--not all of them, but some.

Same here. I love all of them but I only feel IN love when I can picture myself "playing" the female. Weirdly enough, the females I picture myself as are usually the least like me, whereas I use a lot of my own traits in the characters I have a different muse for. Guess I do it as a way to detach and escape from my identity for a little while.