This Truly Blew My Mind....

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
Over the years I have been working, sometimes slowly, sometimes with fervor and little sleep, over a WIP which is called The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven - it is in the fantasy genre. (It is my great love and I enjoy doing this WIP more than any other one)

While working on it years ago, and being in high tech with little time, what I did was create a web site around The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven, and then used to post a new chapter every two weeks. That web site actually within 15 months had over 18,000 hits. Since the fantasy is about Heaven, Hell and Earth, with maps pics etc. I posted these things on the web as well. My name appeared no where as the fantasy itself is composed by one of the angels called "Meyal" within the work. This Meyal called Kitviel was the one who "placed all the chapters" and also interacted with the few thousand people reading The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven.

The web site thus was a total world in and of itself. Along the way many many people wrote to the "angels" the "devils" and the characters in email. I had a lot of fun doing it.

BUT then came along my agent and at the time "ordered" me to take it off the web. Even though the first volume at the time was far from finished, I was told in no uncertain words that I would loose rights to it. (Which is basically correct on first publishing rights). So The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven was taken down, though never sold.

So what blew my mind? Well the other day I opened my email. Now remember to trace me from that site would have to take a great deal of work.

And there was an email from one of the people who were "fans" of The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven begging me to put the stuff back on the web again. THREE YEARS AFTER IT WAS TAKEN OFF!

This person somehow landed on my writing web site, saw The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven discussed there and emailed me!

THE NEXT DAY I get a request from an editor to read The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven without any query whatsoever!

Now that blew my mind. And should give all of you hope on those ms. that are in the back of the closet that you may have lost hope for. Keep plugging away!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Teddy, that's absolutely wonderful. Not only did you get fan mail, you got a bite from an editor! Fantastic!

(By the way, hope you're staying safe over there...)

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Teddy. With that kind of following, it's sure to find print. And it's a good lesson to us all here at AW. Keep us posted.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

How creative to put up the website in the first place and add to it.

You have certainly been blessed lately with all of your hits! Keep rolling and inspiring us. :hooray:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Teddy ! I did something similar when I first started writing, like a fool I gave my writing away by posting on the web -- but my ego couldn't get enough of the fan mail :D I still get wads even though I don't do that any more.

Sure, you can't take that to the bank (and God only knows what that will do to my future credibility) but I wouldn't trade that feeling for anything !

Dpsi4

Registered
Reaction score
Getting approached by a real editor without querying is pretty rare. Most people spend years getting an editor's attention.

TeddyG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
got lucky i think..this editor knows me....
and was actually going over something else when I was asked about the fantasy...
kind of like one thing led to another I guess..

But like I always say..I dont get my hopes up...
cause been there and done it..

Lee_OC

Registered
Reaction score
Cool story! Thanks for sharing. It gives me hope. :)

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Almost spooky - but great news! All fingers crossed.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
TeddyG said:
Yeah the karma is scaring me Deb....
so I am waiting for the other shoe to fall...
Thanks

Ted -

One of my favorite saying is:

When it is right, it will happen! As well as Write and It will come...

And now is your time! So keep saying, I am good, I am good, I deserve this, I deserve this!

:)

YogaMama

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your message. I just got my first rejection recently. I have to keep telling myself, "your time will come, when the time is right."

Congrats, your time for success is coming. Good Luck1

Bamponang

Registered
Reaction score
Great news Teddy. I hope she takes the project on. Sounds like you already hve a fan base waiting for the book(s) to come out.

TeddyG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
Thanking one and all...but the real cool part, was discovering a fan after so many years....
(the lady even offered me room on her web site to put up The Chronicles of the Children of Heaven again!)