Agent for Softer, Gentler Women's Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elspeth.celtichearts.com
Kinda like a TP description....

Anyway, I'm getting near to sending out queries again and I was wondering if anyone could recommend an agent who represents the softer, gentler niche of the category.

I search for agents who represent WF, compare what they've represented to what I write, but as of yet, I haven't made a connection. The last query came back with the comment my story is softer and gentler than what she represents.

So who is representing the S&G niche? Anyone know?

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Laurie, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "softer, gentler" women's fiction, except I get you sure don't mean you're doing gritty romantic suspense. <G> Could you try to give us a better handle on what you're describing?

Is it more inspirational? More family oriented? A Southern-type women's fiction?

Susan G.

Laurie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
elspeth.celtichearts.com
Thanks Susan,

What I think she was saying is it is emotional, heartfelt, conflicts are mostly relational (wife/husband, daughter/mother, daughter/father).

It isn't hard hitting, high impact, trendy or chick-lit.

It is a story of two women, one of which takes place in the early part of the 20th century. The writing for that character is more genteel in contrast to the other character in the more modern 1980's.

Laurie

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried Dorothy Garlock's agent? I find her novels about route 66 quite soft and gentle. I think they're sweet and endearing and quite true to the period. I'm sorry, I dont know the agent's name, but that cant be that hard to find out, can it?

L.Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you want someone who says the rep "general fiction" or even "literary fiction". The time period and feel of the book might be throwing off the more genre-heavy agents.

In this case, I would say stay clear of agents who rep big names that write as you do, because, well,they HAVE that writer and don't want to take on someone who might be seen as competition. HOWEVER you might consider then querying someone in the same house as Big Name's agent. It could be a nice fit and they will have contacts.

To find the names of lesser luminaries who might name agents in their acknowledgements, try the Center Street Inmprint from Warner, it sounds like it might be what you're talking about.

annie jones (Sisterhood of the Queen Mamas - Dec 06)
Luanne Jones (Heathen Girls, out now in trade, mmp Jan 07)

Status
Not open for further replies.