Status
Not open for further replies.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
... and their friends. I hate them. What's more, I can never figure them out. They tie my brain in knots. There's this sentence in the Novels forum. Please explain it to me:

If you are being paid for doing nothing other than writing then you don't have to worry about the bills.

If you are doing nothing other than writing but not being paid then you do have to worry about the bills.

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
They throw me, too. Like you, I prefer direct, positive and clear communication.
These examples though I can manage.

i) If you are being paid for doing nothing other than writing then you don't have to worry about the bills.

Meaning: If the only activity/thing that you are doing is writing, and you are being paid for this, then the money you are earning from this is sufficient so that you can pay your bills. Therefore, you do not then have to worry about money.

ii) If you are doing nothing other than writing but not being paid then you do have to worry about the bills.

Meaning: If the only activity/thing that you are doing is writing, and you are not being paid for this, then you have no income, and so can not pay your bills. Therefore, you then have to worry about money.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
ATP said:

Meaning: If the only activity/thing that you are doing is writing, and you are being paid for this, then the money you are earning from this is sufficient so that you can pay your bills. Therefore, you do not then have to worry about money.

Thanks, I can follow. (edited - my comment belongs in another thread.)

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I don't think they're double negatives... but I don't know nothing. ;)

If you are being paid for doing nothing other than writing then you don't have to worry about the bills.

If you're paid only for your writing and you don't have to do anything else (no day jobs), you don't have to worry about the bills.

If you are doing nothing other than writing but not being paid then you do have to worry about the bills.

If you are only writing, but you're not getting paid for doing that, you have to worry about the bills.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Can't get no dissatisfaction!"

Yep, that pair of sentences took me no less than 4 reads to figure out ! My eyes are still blurred.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think they're double negatives either. Neither do I think the first staement is a valid one.

If you are being paid for .......writing ....you don't have to worry about the bills.

If you are ...not being paid...you have to worry about the bills.

maestrowork said:
I don't think they're double negatives... but I don't know nothing. ;)

If you're paid only for your writing and you don't have to do anything else (no day jobs), you don't have to worry about the bills.

If you are only writing, but you're not getting paid for doing that, you have to worry about the bills.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I know - that's why I added "...and friends", meaning anything that has more than one "no" or "not" or "nothing" in it, or on first reading sounds convoluted!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Bufty said:
I don't think they're double negatives either. Neither do I think the first staement is a valid one.

If you are being paid for .......writing ....you don't have to worry about the bills.

If you are ...not being paid...you have to worry about the bills.

I don't think the first sentence means that literally. I think it implies that someone is making lots of money writing only (e.g. JK Rowling).

If you are being paid for writing (ONLY) and you don't have to do anything else (no day jobs needed), you are set. You don't have to worry about the bills.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know, it was only shortened for simplicity. But I think it's still an invalid statement. It may apply to JKR but as a general statement, it's nonsense.

The assumption (and you don't have to do anything else) was not in the original post.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Ha!

Those aren't double negatives.

Here's a master at piling up the negatives:

Chaucer said:
He nevere yet no vileynye ne sayde
In al his lyf unto no maner wight.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
double

aruna said:
... and their friends. I hate them. What's more, I can never figure them out. They tie my brain in knots. There's this sentence in the Novels forum. Please explain it to me:

This isn't a double negative, it just needs a comma after "writing."

It's plain enough. It means if you're being paid enough for you're writing to make a second job unnecessary, then you shouldn't have to worry about paying your bills.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree the meaning you've attached to it is clear. The italicised statement itself, in my view, is not.

Jamesaritchie said:
This isn't a double negative, it just needs a comma after "writing."

It's plain enough. It means if you're being paid enough for you're writing to make a second job unnecessary, then you shouldn't have to worry about paying your bills.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Bufty said:
I know, it was only shortened for simplicity. But I think it's still an invalid statement. It may apply to JKR but as a general statement, it's nonsense.

The assumption (and you don't have to do anything else) was not in the original post.

I'm not sure what the confusion is here.

There's nothing convoluted about this sentence, and nothing wrong with it gramattically, other than a missing comma.

I'm really surprised people haven't seen the phrase for doing nothing other than a hundred times.

It could certainly be rewritten to say, If you're making enough money from writing so that no other income is required, you shouldn't have to worry about paying your bills.

But the sentence isn't convoluted, isn't a double negative, uses common phraseology, and should be easily understood.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Its original context was in a thread about giving up everything to do writing full time, and being able to live off that income. In context it was a shade off being clear.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Jamesaritchie said:
I'm not sure what the confusion is here.

There's nothing convoluted about this sentence, and nothing wrong with it gramattically, other than a missing comma.

Well, a missing (or an extra!) comma is a big deal in my book. Remember Eats, Shoots and Leaves?

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
(A woman. Without her, man is nothing.)
¨

maestrowork that´s cheating, nobody ain´t said nothing about no full-stops ... :D

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk

I think the confusion fo me is caused primatily by that "nothing other", followed by "you don't". No it's not a double negative in the sense that one negative contradicts the other, but when I read it what first stikes me is, You are being paid for doing nothing, and that registers, and then comes other than writing, so I have to go back and figure that what is being said is basically "You are being paid for writing."

Status
Not open for further replies.