PDA

View Full Version : Microwaving or micro waving or micro-waving

unthoughtknown
08-09-2006, 03:55 AM
"The danger of plastics when microwaving food..."

MS spell checker says "micro waving" is the way to go. Hmmh. Your thoughts?

Ta.

MidnightMuse
08-09-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm not sure which is right, but neither really sound 'pretty'.

What about "The danger of plastics when using the microwave . . ." ??

just a thought. Better advice will arrive soon :)

unthoughtknown
08-09-2006, 04:07 AM
Yes, my thought was to stop using it as a verb altogether, too...

May have to do that...

maestrowork
08-09-2006, 04:37 AM
Microwave is one word. So it would be "microwaving." Unfortunately, it's a noun used as a verb much like "xerox." We'll just have to get used to this usage.

unthoughtknown
08-09-2006, 04:45 AM
Thanks Ray!

arrowqueen
08-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Just use the oven.

Medievalist
08-10-2006, 12:40 AM
An elderly woman in one of my father's congregations always called it "the mighty wave."

I still rather like that, though not, of course, in a non-dialog passage.

bluejester12
08-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Microwave is one word. So it would be "microwaving." Unfortunately, it's a noun used as a verb much like "xerox." We'll just have to get used to this usage.

Seconded.

Another instance of this awkwardness is when people go "snowmobiling." That's how we talked in NH, and I think it'll be accepted by editors along with microwaving.

Jamesaritchie
08-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Seconded.

Another instance of this awkwardness is when people go "snowmobiling." That's how we talked in NH, and I think it'll be accepted by editors along with microwaving.

I don't think "snowmobiling" is really any different than "biking," "sledding," etc. Editors expect this kind of verbilization.

In reality, the only thing wrong with "Xeroxing" is the Xerox is, or was, a trademark protected brand name.

expatbrat
08-16-2006, 11:58 AM
I’d like to recommend against all forms of microwaving, using a microwave or anything that involves mighty waves.

I am convinced the microwave will be the next asbestos, and suggest that perhaps it the predisposer to society’s dependence on Prozac, Zoloft and the like. Both boomed simultaneously – coincidence? Use the oven, stove top or BBQ.

Mac H.
08-16-2006, 12:44 PM
I am convinced the microwave will be the next asbestos, and suggest that perhaps it the predisposer to society’s dependence on Prozac, Zoloft and the like. Both boomed simultaneously – coincidence?Umm - the boom in microwave ovens was in the early 1980s. The boom in Prozac was in the mid-late 1990s.

Whatever you think about the correlation, they certainly didn't boom simultaneously.

If you are looking for correlation, it is worth noting that the use of Prozac dropped in 1998. This was also the year that the world was exposed to 5 nuclear devices being detonated - compared to none for the previous period.

Coincidence? Or convincing evidence for the benefits of nuclear radiation?

Mac

J. Weiland
08-16-2006, 12:53 PM
An elderly woman in one of my father's congregations always called it "the mighty wave."

Sounds like some sort of cult :D

Jamesaritchie
08-16-2006, 07:22 PM
I’d like to recommend against all forms of microwaving, using a microwave or anything that involves mighty waves.

I am convinced the microwave will be the next asbestos, and suggest that perhaps it the predisposer to society’s dependence on Prozac, Zoloft and the like. Both boomed simultaneously – coincidence? Use the oven, stove top or BBQ.

But the microwave is so convenient. And if you BBQ, don't forget to avoid charcoal. It causes cancer. And aluminum cooking utinsils contribute to Alzheimer's disease.

I've never tried microwaving Prozac or Zoloft, but it sounds like a great meal.

ResearchGuy
08-16-2006, 08:27 PM
Like hammering, cementing, bicycling, golfing, and countless others.

Xerox is a trademark, and should be capitalized as such. That is a different issue from making a verb form of a noun. Related is the use of a trademark to denote a type of product (Xerox for any photocopy, Kleenex for any facial tissue, and so on). It may be best to avoid using brand names as though they were generics, although dialogue can present some problems there, as people do often use brand names to represent a type of product. The average person will not say, "Hand me a Kleenex brand facial tissue, will you?" Or, "I'll go across the hall to photocopy this article for you." Many (most?) would use "xerox" as a generic term AND a verb, not even mentally capitalizing it.

Trademarks must be protected or they are lost, so companies with valuable trademarks protect them. That is, for example, why you will see advertisements in writers' magazines pointing out that Caterpillar is a registered trademark, to be used ONLY for that brand of equipment.

--Ken

sdarb
08-17-2006, 12:48 AM
How about zapping? That covers all the concerns - zap is a verb right? Plus, it fits with all the other zappy concerns like nuclear zapping, aluminum foil brain zapping, mood zapping...
I'm zapped out.

maestrowork
08-17-2006, 01:16 AM
"Zapping" is a slang, as is "nuking." Well, I guess "microwaving" is, too.

The correct usage would be "heating food in a microwave oven." But eeekkkk.

TsukiRyoko
08-17-2006, 01:58 AM
According to the back of my macaroni box, it's "microwaving".

Jamesaritchie
08-17-2006, 02:02 AM
"Zapping" is a slang, as is "nuking." Well, I guess "microwaving" is, too.

The correct usage would be "heating food in a microwave oven." But eeekkkk.

Yeah, "nuke it," or "nuking it," is what most say around here.

It's often "Stick it in the microwave and nuke it for a minute."

unthoughtknown
08-21-2006, 11:24 AM
Ooh, this thread took off. Thanks for everyone's contributions. :)

poetinahat
08-21-2006, 11:38 AM
MS Word spellcheck is a dangerous thing. IMO, it's worse than useless, because it can be outright incorrect.

I like the typo-fixing feature, but that's it.

Use a barbie!

Soccer Mom
09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Yum, Barbequed coffee, pasta and Lean Cuisines!

Popeyesays
09-03-2006, 09:07 PM

Well, MICROWAVE: 1 : a comparatively short electromagnetic wave; especially : one between about one millimeter and one meter in wavelength.

We are awash in a sea of microwaves from natural sources. How long, on planetary basis since before the earth crust formed. Microwaves radiation was probably instrumental in the creation of life in the first place.

Compared to the downpour of natural microwaves, the output from a shielded electron gun is pretty negligible.

By the way, do you watch television or use a computer? Yes, you do obviously. Well, you are bathing in the same radiation that comes from your microwave.

To quote Alfred E.Neuman: What me worry?