• Total voters

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SPOILER ALERT!

It was different.

I thought the ending was a little abrupt. Not to mention, odd.
Gen & Roxanne?
What happened to Mr. H? Did he go back to Japan? Get shot? Other?
He just sort of >poof< disappeared.

I hate it when books end that way; it seems like the author got bored and wrote 'whatever' just to finish it.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, Bel Canto. Did I like it, or did I not? Jury's still out, I'm afraid. One of the problems I had with it was the characterization of Roxanne. I dislike and distrust the Perfect Character. She never revealed her flaws or faults. She was beautiful, talented, kind, intelligent, caring, endearing (blech!). She could be slightly impatient, but that's not much of a fault.

I also struggled with the structure of the prose. There were sooo many loooong descriptive paragraphs and so little dialog that I found reading it a slog, at times.

I liked the story and I liked the prose itself. Patchett's observations were interesting and she had some nice turns of phrase. I enjoyed most of the other characters and found them generally realistic. I quite liked the accompanist at the beginning of the story.

I don't know about the ending. It didn't seem very realistic to me.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are Caro and I the only people who read this book?

Shame on youse!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Nuts. I'm not going to let this happen again, because I like to b!tch about a mediocre book as much as the next AWer. I won't be left out again!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read it when it first came out. As I mentioned when the group was picking a book to read, I don't think it's the best book Patchett has written.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nuts! is right. I didn't even vote.
:rant:
I just read the dang thing cuz ya'll voted on it.
So I could discuss.
Now all I'm left with is the cuss.

AmyBA

I'm a believer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amyba.com
I read it. I did like it, but it think it would have been a much stronger book without the epilogue.

And thank you, CaroGirl-- there was something I didn't like about Roxane but I could never put my finger on it, but yes, that's it, she was too perfect.

Oh, and Mr. H-- I think he got shot. He took a bullet for whats-her-name...

I think it's interesting that Patchett tipped her hand so early in the book, only a few pages in, where she says that none of the terrorists will make it out alive (or something similar... I don't have the book in front of me).

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I just reread this book, and I guess I'll be the lone dissenting voice here. I absolutely loved it.

I think Patchett put Gen and Roxane together at the end so that their love for Carmen and Mr. Hosokawa could live on. Roxane and Carmen had become close, and Mr. Hosokawa and Gen had worked together for so long. I didn't find it all that strange.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I liked it. It may become an all-time favourite. I'll know that if it captivates me again in a few years. The ending was a bit strange, but not so impossible, I think. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I loved her characterization. The characters came alive for me and were, for the most part, rather complex. Roxanne was more complex than she's given "credit" for here. She was mercenary, a bit self-absorbed - witness how she handled the accompanist. It took the captivity, I think, to pull her out of it.

Tilting her hand early, was interesting. I think she did that to keep us grounded. I, for one, was cheering for their developing fantasies, especially for the young hostage-takers, but then I would stop and say, "But it can't work out," which made it rather poignant and bittersweet. Although I had forgotten that line from near the beginning, she made it rather clear, especially through Meisner's take on the situation, that it would all turn out badly for the hostage takers.

The language, descriptions, observations were so often marvellous. I'm going to have to read more of her books.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
Roxanne was more complex than she's given "credit" for here. She was mercenary, a bit self-absorbed - witness how she handled the accompanist. It took the captivity, I think, to pull her out of it.

Yes. I agree with this. I didn't much like her at the beginning because of this.