PDA

View Full Version : First Conference!

WriterInChains
08-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Last weekend I attended my first ever writer's conference, which was one of my goals for this year!! It was even more fun than I'd ever imagined -- especially since the word "networking" used to make me break out in a cold sweat.

I couldn't really afford to go, so I volunteered every day last week at the Willamette Writers office, and for the first two days of the conference. Working in the office was so much fun -- I met some great people and of course we talked about writing while we worked. I thought it might be a drag to work during the pre-con events on Thursday, and all day Friday (watching everyone else have fun), but I was wrong! I was able to meet a bunch of agents and editors informally, and even though I knew they were just humans like everyone else before -- now I have no more fear of querying. It doesn't hurt that I showed my first chapter to one editor, and my query/synopsis to another, and both were very well received. Four words never meant so much: "clear prose" and "compelling voice.":)

Last weekend was the first time I can remember that I didn't feel like an oddball in a sea of norms. Now I see why people go to a few of these a year, what a rush!! :)

oarsman
08-08-2006, 09:20 PM
Exciting Weekend! It's great that you found a way to attend the conference. Best of luck with your queries..."clear prose" and "compelling voice" are fantastic comments!
:Clap:

Pat~
08-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Glad you had so much fun; they really are energizing, aren't they?

This is encouraging me to go to one in Sept. that I've been ambivalent about...

NeuroFizz
08-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Way to go, Caren. Breaking into this business requires forward leaps without a clear sight of the substrate. It's not so mysterious, is it?

Provrb1810meggy
08-09-2006, 01:18 AM
That sounds great. Glad you got the experience and that it was a positive one!

clara bow
08-09-2006, 01:45 AM
Volunteering is a great way to network and get noticed. You're money, baby!

MidnightMuse
08-09-2006, 02:25 AM
Waaaait just one second ! There was a conference in Willamette Oregon and I didn't know about it ??? Sheesh - what kind of bonehead am I? That's only a 3 hour drive from me.

Well heck, good for you, Caren ! I hope this turns out to be your big defining moment. Super idea of yours to volunteer :)

WriterInChains
08-09-2006, 07:00 AM
oarsman -- Thanks! I need all the luck I can get! :)

Hi Pat -- Yes, it was such a rush! I'm telling every writer I know to do anything they have to to get to one -- so don't skip the one in Sept! :)

NeuroFizz -- Nope! Not as mysterious as it is fun, anyway. :ROFL: .......substrate, hehe, the only ones I've been close to for over a week now are at work.

Thanks, Provrb! :)

Hi clara -- You got that right! One of the coolest things was when my #1 dream agent sought me out to ask a question during the craziness that is pitch practice night & Writer's Faire!

MidnightMuse -- It was at the Ptld airport actually, but you might think of coming to a monthly meeting. PM me if you're interested, or just want to chat. :)

Sury
08-09-2006, 11:35 AM
That sounds so exciting! And those comments about your writing are just the reward you needed for your hard work at the conference.

Thanks for sharing. GOOD LUCK!

Sury