PDA

View Full Version : Do cat whiskers grow back if they have been damaged?

Gehanna
08-08-2006, 06:12 PM
There are long haired cats and then there are extremely long haired cats. I happen to have one of those extremely long haired cats. I took her to be groomed the other day. She goes ballistic when being groomed. This is why I don't groom her myself.

Apparently, the person who groomed her accidentally sheared her whiskers on one side.

Will her whiskers ever grow back?

Gehanna

DeborahM
08-08-2006, 06:21 PM
I've never seen them grow back, however, in time, the whisker will fall out like hair and another will grow back to full length.

Gehanna
08-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Hi DeborahM :hi:

Thanks for responding.

Robert Toy
08-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Do you know why cats have whiskers?

Nancy
08-08-2006, 07:24 PM
First of all, why would a groomer have clippers near your cat's face?? I'd be supremely pi------ off to say the least.

Secondly, I just did some research online and it seems that whiskers do grow back, but it takes longer than coat hair. Also, because cats use their whiskers to judge distances, etc., he/she may be a bit disoriented for awhile. The whiskers are also very sensitive w/ lots of nerve endings, etc., so it could be painful.

Marlys
08-08-2006, 07:53 PM
The whisker itself is just another hair--cutting one wouldn't be painful. The sensitivity would be where it attaches to the cat, not the whisker itself. Cats do use them to navigate, so your cat probably will be disoriented at first, but will probably learn to adjust.

As said above, they do grow back. We had a mother cat who would hold her daughter down and chew off her whiskers (yeah, psycho). The daughter cat didn't have any trouble navigating around, and never got stuck in a tight space while she was without them, but it must have been incredibly weird for her.

Fern
08-08-2006, 08:36 PM
Our cat had one side of his whiskers cut off while playing "dress up" with our kids. Don't ask! Anyway, he went around lopsided for some time, but they did grow back.

Nancy
08-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Marlys:

Thanks, you reminded me I need to call my mother ;)

TheIT
08-09-2006, 04:44 AM
What's even more disconcerting is when whiskers grow back a different color. My all black cats would occasionally sport a single white whisker, or sometimes two. It always gave their faces a lopsided appearance.

veinglory
08-09-2006, 04:54 AM
My black cat had one white whisker. It would shed and grow back. I always noticed when he lost that one.

country-writer
08-29-2006, 11:13 AM
They will grow back, but it is slow growth. Be sure that you are feeding the cat out of a flat plate now rather than a bowl, her whiskers are going to be ultra sensitive for awhile until the nerves close back up with new growth. She didn't shave the whiskers under her front legs too did she?