Status
Not open for further replies.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Since this is an important business decision for any freelancer, of any genre or form, I hope I've picked the right forum.

I wanted to know who is a member of what writer group's health insurance plans, and dental plans.

I'll be breaking down and joining the proverbial herd of cats in another month or two, and I would like to know which writer groups offer the best health insurance options for a healthy, single male with no pre-existing conditions other than writing fantasy novels. Also, what kind of plans do you have to cover your families? Do you have disability insurance through your writer's group? If not, what do you have? Etc. Etc.

I write fantasy, but that doesn't mean we should limit our discussion to just fantasy groups. This kind of topic should be discussed more often, as painful as it may seem.

I'm fairly certain I picked the right forum...

Oh, and all of you that are covered through your spouse's place of employment are welcome to join the discussion (naturally), but I'm really more interested in the different kinds of insurance available through writer groups for the writers.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a member of RWA, but I don't believe they offer a health insurance plan, at least not one that's available where I live and that covers anything more than catastrophic illness. If they do offer a plan, they would have information about it at their website, rwanational.org.

Another option is to check with your local chamber of commerce. You may be able to join -- writing is a business, after all -- for a couple hundred bucks, and some of them offer standard group health insurance plans (Blue Cross, etc.) to their members. That's where I've got my insurance, and it's expensive, but I need it, and it's a good plan.

JD

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I used to get my insurance through the National Writers Union, but about 3 (?) years ago, all the insurance companies dropped them. I waited it out quite a while to see if they would find a new insurer to pick us up, but I eventually gave up and joined a New York-based freelancers' union that's basically just an organization to get health insurance (my plan is through HIP and I have no complaints so far-- I've had the plan since January). I don't know if the NWU ever got back health insurance. I didn't renew my membership in the last 2 years.

I had considered MediaBistro's insurance (I think that might also just be for New Yorkers at the moment), but it was more expensive than the freelancers' union.

(For any New Yorkers in this situation, the url is www.workingtoday.org .)

Last edited:

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
publisher's weekly keeps sending me author guild spam, and they claim to be the greatest thing since fried tofu.

Anybody know anything about them?

Status
Not open for further replies.