Stolen work when posting????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdBurner

Hey all, am completely new to this site and was wondering what other members personal feelings were about sharing ones work. What if the story one posted in the "Share your work" forum was sellable and someone was to steal it and sell it under thier name? Does this ever happen? Do people just post stories they write for fun and keep back ones they want to attempt to get published? Is it wise never to post one you might intend to market, or just post the begining? Like I said, new to this and would love to see how others think. Any and all input would be welcome. Thanks everyone. Lawrence

rtilryarms

Chiming in

The way I look at it is:

When someone steals my work...I know I am finally ready to write. So far, I am not worthy. (although there is a little matter of some lyrics about 20 years ago.......)

Tish Davidson

Re: Chiming in

There are several threads on the freelance writing board and (I think) the short fiction board about whether posting a story online is publishing it, and if it is posted, whether one can offer first rights to a publisher for a web posted story. You should look up these threads and read them before you post anything.

As for theft... Certainly it could happen, but the story is under your copyright without your doing anything as soon as it is created, so if you discovered the theft, you could probably prove ownership through rough drafts and dated computer files without much trouble. I have never had anything posted on the web stolen and had it appear in print (that I know of), but I have had at least half a dozen experiences where something that appeard in print was posted on the web without payment and sometimes without credit... and then these website owners wondered why I sent them an invoice...

qatz

Tish

I have heard of things being stolen, but it's rare. As far as your own travails, I told a true story about Mary Oliver having her "Wild Geese" poem posted on the net without her consent -- it was in Freelance Writing about using quotes, I think. Best. Q

Status
Not open for further replies.