Misplaced comma could cost company millions

Status
Not open for further replies.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the regulators' interpretation of the sentence. Lesson: don't sign a contract unless your reading comprehension is excellent.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
comma

I'm not sure this would stand up is a U.S. court, since intent of contract law is often as important as the letter of contract law, but it shows why all conditions in a contract should be spelled out twice, and in a different manner each time.

In court, a U.S. court, it would depend on who wrote the contract, and what boths sides believed the contract meant at the time of signing, but commas really are that important.

Heartsease

Registered
Reaction score
can we say "ouch"????????? I agree with James, it would seem to me that here in the states this ruling might not fly.

LA

rekirts

NOooooo!!!
Registered
Reaction score
The CRTC isn't a court. The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) is an independent agency responsible for regulating Canada's broadcasting and telecommunications systems. They report to Parliament through the Minister of Canadian Heritage.

I wonder if Roger's can take the issue to court. I would think the intent of the contract is more important than a misplaced comma, but that's just me. I wouldn't count on getting any sense out of a Canadian judge either.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
I'd guess that the two parties originally had opposite intents for the meaning of that sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.