Newbie here, looking for some direction...

Status
Not open for further replies.

taj616

Hello Everyone --

I posted this in the Children's Literature section then noticed the "Newbie" area and thought it might be a better place for it...

"I stumbled upon this website as I was researching reputable Literary Agents. If I've learned one thing, it's that I'll be saying "NO" when/if the ST Literary Agency asks me for $129 dollars to further my efforts. A bit THANK YOU to those on the board posting the "BEWARES".

So now my big question is -- how does one go about finding a REPUTABLE literary agent for children's books?? I have written several short stories in rhyme -- and all have received a favorable response from family (like they'd say it sucked LOL), acquaintances and local children's librarians. Anyway -- I have checked out writing resource books which just seem to confuse me as to what I need to do next.

I'm hoping by post get me some feedback and give me some insight as to what I need to do to get SERIOUS with this writing in hopes someone else will read it and love it as much as I do.

Thanks so much for listening -- it's greatly appreciated."

Tammy (taj616)

p/s also -- would it be wise to post one of my stories here? (on the appropriate message board of course)

mammamaia

DON'T!

hi, tammy...
if you intend to market your work, do NOT post it in toto anywhere on the web... many publishers consider that as having been 'published' so you won't be able to offer them first rights to it... and why should they want to pay to print something that folks can read for free?

if you want feedback on the quality of the work, have someone knowledgeable give it a critical read privately, by email... some will tell you that posting in a certain way on a certain kind of site will not compromise your work's marketability, but that's a personal pov and i don't think it's worth the risk... imo, discretion is the better part of valor here...

i'm pretty sure i answered the agent question in your other post, so go there and see what i advised on that subject... if you have any other questions or would like me to take a look at your work, you can email me any time...

much of my own work is rhyming poetry, i work with a lot of children's book writers and have done a couple myself in rhyme, along with having read jillions to my 7 kids when they were young...

welcome to the forum and best of luck with your work...

love and hugs, maia
[email protected]

qatz

Hi Tammy! This may be an historic first . . .

But I am here to say I'm going to agree with Maia twice in one post! It's a rare day when Maia and I agree on anything in public, so thanks for the opportunity, Taj! And welcome to you! I know you'll find this place informative and helpful, and for the most part we're a pretty friendly and respectful group! As a dear friend of mine and devotee of these boards puts it, "you've come to the 'write' place!"

Now, as to Maia, the following.

First, she is correct that anything posted in public on the net is published. You have 50 million potential readers. That's a pretty big crowd.

Second, she is right that you need to find people you trust and respect in the business, people whose writing you find good, to read your work. This is tricky. The people who are really good normally have reputations, and people are always sending manuscripts to read. So they don't.

It is good that your family love what you've done! Of course they're biassed, but they love you and if it were obviously horrible, they would somehow say that to you to save you the pain of some cold-hearted editor down the way dashing your dreams.

Now you need to take the next step. Try to find the best person for the job, given the above restraints.

Maia has been around a long time, and her writing style is clearly evident on her website. If she suits you, take her up. Free is pretty cheap.

If you wish to look further, my partner in Boston and I have just recently started a freelance editing and consulting business for writers. She is wonderful, and I'm a pretty good writer myself. We've about 60 years of experience between us. We like to encourage young writers, and we generally will look at manuscripts for an initial evaluation for free. That is right, same price Maia offers. After that, we charge for editing and other services. We are very good at what we do, but our prices are less than market for now.

For more details, my email address is [email protected]. If you want to write to my partner, one of her addresses is [email protected].

There are a gadzillion other editors out there, and many good ones, but they will normally charge you upfront. We have to make a living, you know. Lisa and I have various specials just because our business is new.

It may be challenging for you to see our existing work, as we are published in technical areas mostly and are just in the process of changing from my old website (ebedits.com) to the new one (wordmountain.com), which is not yet published as of tonight. Also, Ihave removed some of my pieces from absolutewrite for the exact reasons maia and i have addressed. However, Lisa and I can send you samples if you ask.

With your rhyming stories, you may be disinclined toward editing, but I have vast poetic experience and may be able to be of help. Still, the initial free offer is what should interest you most at this point. You'll get an idea of where you're at without having to commit to one course or another.

Yours, Eric Biggs

mammamaia

ye gods and little fishes!!!

... and yikes, to boot!... agreeing and recommending, qatz???... are you feeling okay, honey?... go take your pulse and your temp and make sure you haven't picked up some kinda personality-changing virus, willya?... i'm worried aboutcha!;)

...seriously, it's nice to know you can find some common ground... and you have my best wishes on the launching of your and lisa's new business...

love and hugs, maia

taj616

Thank ye of the not normally agreeing nature :)

Hi again --

Thank you so much for the offers to read my stories. I appreciate the opportunity to be able to do this -- should I decide to be so brave :eek

I shall contemplate all this new information and decide what to do next. Who'd have thought getting a few creative ideas down on paper could leave such a headache!

Thanks again,

Tammy

Status
Not open for further replies.