justify this purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm wantin' to buy the Little Mermaid DVD when it comes out.

I have an Amazon account and enough money to preorder.

BUT

I already have it on my compy and can just burn it.

BUT

I'll miss special features.

What do I do?!?

Nangleator

Rep Point Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Buy it.

The folks who wrote "Under the Sea" and "Kiss the Girl" deserve more coin for what they did. You are an artist, so you'd want to be treated that way, too.

More justification: It's a timeless classic. Own it in the best format, in the best quality, with the most durability you can get.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I should also add that my parents dislike me buying Disney movies.

But this was the first one I ever saw.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Buy the damn thing. How is this a dilemma? Stop stealing movies. Go to church and confess that you're an intellectual property thief.

Then go buy the movie.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I own the VHS, but it is at a cousin's house (and it got lost to boot), so that's the only reaosn my friend sent me the file.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BUy the movie. Do YOu want to write whatever it is you are writing and by some miracle get published only to have someone copy it for free? Go. Buy. The. MOVIE.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
I've bought actually TWO copies of the movie (because the first one was stolen), and besides, the DVD don't come out 'til Oct....

Should I place the preorder tomorrow?

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I can't justify it, sorry.

I can't even justify getting it as a gift.

Or finding it on the street and picking it up.

Or being forced at gun point to take it.
Shadow the point isn't what the movie is, but that this person should pay for it rather than copy it.

Why don't your parents want you to buy Disney Movies anyway? (Dare I ask?)

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Because I'm seventeen.

Never mind the fact that I watch, say, Family Guy more than Kim Possible, (although I love both shows).

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
nachonaco_Grippers said:
I've bought actually TWO copies of the movie (because the first one was stolen), and besides, the DVD don't come out 'til Oct....

Should I place the preorder tomorrow?
Um... that should read "the DVD doesn't come out 'til Oct...

Definitely buy it, but you could wait until Oct or preorder.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
nachonaco_Grippers said:
Because I'm seventeen.
How does that matter? It's a good movie. My 40 year old husband will probably buy it. If it is your money, I say go for it. If it is your parents money, then, yeah, even for silly reasons, they do have a say.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
sassandgroove said:
Shadow the point isn't what the movie is, but that this person should pay for it rather than copy it.

She never said how she got it on her compy. I assumed she was a law-abiding citizen and that she copied it from her former disc (now stolen). But if it was a pirated download, then I'll have to notify the FBI. :)

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
sassandgroove said:
Um... that should read "the DVD doesn't come out 'til Oct...

Definitely buy it, but you could wait until Oct or preorder.

I know, I'm 'off the clock' as a writer right now. :p

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I got a little over zealous there. Once a teacher, always a teacher.

May I ask a dumb question? what's with the colon : and the p. I know : ) is a smile and and ; ) is a wink and a smile, but what is :p? I got that earlier today, too.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
':p' is a tongue sticking out.

And, after I told my friend that I had lost the VHS's (friend stole one and a cousin stole another, sigh, i really hate lending things out), he said "i can send it to you if you like" and emailed it to me.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'm against the sale of pirated DVD's and CD's, too, but as a girl on a tight budget (and I'm pretty sure naco's budget is even tighter than mine), I don't complain when someone sends me a copy of something.

If you truly want those special features (which, in all honestly will probably be available to download online once the DVD is released for sale), then go ahead and buy it. Treasure those special features. If not, watch what you've got.

Or (and this is my favorite way to buy), wait a few weeks after it's been released, and buy a cheaper used copy on Amazon.com.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
THanks for explaining the :p. did you know we have a smiley like that.:tongue

nachonaco_Grippers said:
And, after I told my friend that I had lost the VHS's (friend stole one and a cousin stole another, sigh, i really hate lending things out), he said "i can send it to you if you like" and emailed it to me.

Do you want to justify buying it, or justify not buying it. I could get on my high horse right now and explain that it doesn't matter how or why you got a copy, you should still buy it. A lot of people worked on it and deserve to get their share...but then I'd have to go buy about a 1/2 dozen DVD's right now...
I have taped a few movies from TV rather than buying a copy. But I generally buy those that I want.

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
Or (and this is my favorite way to buy), wait a few weeks after it's been released, and buy a cheaper used copy on Amazon.com.
ebay and half.com are good for this, too. ETA, and this probably won't help with little mermaid, but with older movies, blockbuster and other rental places often sell old stock. I've often ended up buying a movie when I went to rent one.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
For various reasons, I don't like buying used copies. :D

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
sassandgroove said:
blockbuster and other rental places often sell old stock. I've often ended up buying a movie when I went to rent one.

I've bought quite a few used copies from Blockbuster lately (mostly because the other rental place I bought from went out of business last summer). Right now they have a lot of last year's movies for $4.99. Ninety-nine cents more to buy a film than to simply rent it.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Lady Cat said:
It's DISNEY! And one of the best disney movies ever! Stop posting and BUY IT!
OK. I admit I was a little snarky in this thread yesterday. And I was going to avoid it today. But c'mon! Little Mermaid one of the best Disney movies ever? It's a chick flick for cripe's sake! Now if you said the best Disney movie for girls ever, I'd say yeah, OK, I'll go along with that. But not the best ever. I can think of several Disney movies I'd buy long before I got around to the Little Mermaid. My personal favorite has always been "Aladdin," but then as a Edgar Rice Burrough's fan, I enjoyed Disney's version of "Tarzan." Then there's "The Lion King," "Toy Story," "Monster's Inc.," "Finding Nemo," not to mention all the classic Disney movies, like "Sword in the Stone," "Snow White," "Bambi," "Cinderella," and "Pinoccio," "The Jungle Book," "Robin Hood," and "Lady and the Tramp," just to name a few. :tongue

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.