Fresh Meat -

Status
Not open for further replies.

kithling

Hello. I am Mandi.

Writing is not now, nor has it ever been a new idea to me. I was writing a journal when I was five, even if I couldn't spell anything, or hold a thought long enough to complete it. I don't remember when I started writing fiction, probably some time around my ninth year.

The only writing that has ever been published is some poems in the silly poetry.com anthologies in the hopes that I would have reference points to point at and go "look, I've been published." I've been writing stories longer than poetry, but never have finished anything satisfactorily. I have concentration issues when it comes to a long haul, most likely because I never thought on something long enough to give it enough texture to be a pleasure to chew on.

Now, though, I'm in a fairly stable environment and have decided that I will, in fact, write at least one novel that I've been wanting to. At the moment I've got pages of background and information, but no solid name for my main male character because he keeps wanting to be called Richard. I refuse to name him that because it's the name of a main character in a series I'm reading right now. It goes against my grain to outright copy something from someone else, even if it's just a name. My biggest problem is that I love reading and when I read a good idea I go "Hey, I wonder how I can use that." I have to be careful that my point of view and adaptation and truely mine, and not just masked to look like something else simply because I want to use that idea. It irks my very soul that original ideas are so hard to come by.

Some more technical information is that I'm 18, 19 this summer. Just got my GED because I hated school (the people, mainly, not the work). I'm planning to get certified as a Medical Coder so I can pay my way through college where I want to double major in Journalism and Library Science. The journalism might change to a different type of writing, but journalism seems a more likely way to earn money by writing than by depending on my untried "skills" as a published novelist.

Now that I've rambled enough, I'll end this. I'm here, other than my supposed future novel, to simply gain some writing friends - I've never had any of those.

- Kithling

wwwatcher

Fresh Meat

Dear Kithling

I'm a vegitarian, at least when it comes to the newbies board. Welcome. Sounds like you've got some pretty good plans to get some life-experiences which is always good for a writer.

Have you checked out the Writing with Uncle Jim thread on the Novel Writing Board? I just thought I'd warn you! Many procrastinators and "beginners" (people who are great at starting things) need to avoid this board if they don't want to change because Uncle Jim has this thing he calls BIC and it sneaks up on you quite innocently, and before you know what is happening... you are getting further than you ever have before. It's awful! People are actually finishing novels and everything!!!! All diehard procrastinating writers who never want to change should avoid this board at all costs!!!!!!

Oh, and yes, I like your handle and....

Your quote...

Wizard's First Rule: People Are Stupid

"People's first rule - WE CREATED WIZARDS!!!!!!!!"

Take Care,
Faye:rollin

Pthom

Re: Fresh Meat

"People's first rule - WE CREATED WIZARDS!!!!!!!!"

I guess that was pretty stupid, eh?

kithling

Well, technically it's true since most wizards are usually people.

'Twas silly, though. :)

- Kithling

Cary

Well,I am a carnivore..:teeth but I dont eat newbies either.
Sounds like you really have It together.Most young writers dont have those kinds of plans all laid out like you seem to.Hats off to ya.Does my soul good to know that there are young peeps out there who are so serious about writing and having goals.That in itself is impressive to me.:nerd There are plenty of folks in here,just bursting with info!! Welcome.
Carybelle

kithling

Danke, Cary. :)

Plans come from learning that they're necessary. >_<;

- Kithling

Cary

Ohhhhh..you are 'deep' for your age!!!:nerd That is just so refreshing!!! Ahhhh! Like spring air!!!!!;) Carybelle

qatz

fresh meat

ummm

emmm

ahumm

errrrrrr

"hi kid! you sound like a brave soul and a good person, and a dedicated writer! welcome! i mean it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.