Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky Writes

Go Tarheels!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccawrites.com
In my WIP, the main characters are getting married. I have them saying their own vows, but when it comes to the stuff the minister says, can I snag some stuff off the internet from one of those wedding planning websites? Or does it all have to be original out of my own head?

Thanks in advance.

stephblake24

Registered
Reaction score
I would make it up to protect yourself completely.

byElizabeth

Writer Unscripted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mommyetc.blogspot.com
And I was thinking it was okay to use what ministers actually say...is it plagerizing (did I spell that correctly?)? They are just reading out of kind of like a "wedding ceremony handbook" themselves...it's not original and I think that in those books they even have several options for people who choose to have things said a little differently??? (ie: Till death do us part or all the days of my life.) It would be a little strange to hear a preacher in a book say things that are completely uncustomary, wouldn't it?

I'll ask my husband (he's a lawyer) to see if he has any thoughts on the matter... Definitely keep researching...

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I agree, Elizabeth. I'm fairly certain that stuff is public domain, and people are so familiar with the words of a typical wedding ceremony it will sound odd if your characters use something very different.

(BTW, it's "plagiarizing". Just because you asked.)

stephblake24

Registered
Reaction score
If you use something, just make sure you write down the source so you can get the proper permissions later.

Becky Writes

Go Tarheels!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccawrites.com
Okay, as it is now, I have used these vows, but tweaked them some to fit my story.

I had never heard a ceremony like this before, but I figured it was public domain since it was online for people to use in real ceremonies.

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
If it's online and they ask no fee for it it should be considered public domain. If you even had to sign up to get to that part of the site that would be one thing. But it seems to me that they pretty much said, "here's some vows . . .take 'em!":)

Maprilynne

Becky Writes

Go Tarheels!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccawrites.com
Well, I like how this conversation is going!

Thanks everyone for your opinion. I guess in the long run, no one would question if it was the standard, "Dearly beloved," speech, right?

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
Maprilynne said:
If it's online and they ask no fee for it it should be considered public domain. If you even had to sign up to get to that part of the site that would be one thing. But it seems to me that they pretty much said, "here's some vows . . .take 'em!":)
Well, I would write to the owners of the web site and ask for permission. Just because the vows are provided for couples to use in a wedding ceremony doesn't mean the author has given permission for them to be used in a commercial work.

Becky Writes

Go Tarheels!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccawrites.com
Okay, I wrote the owner of the site I got the vows from asking permission. BTW, I have seen it on other sites, too, but this was the first one I found this particular service.

This is the reply I recieved just now.
Hello.

Permission granted conditional of course on source acknowledgement.

Best of luck, Becky.

Dr. Charles W. Laird
President, Wedding Ministers, Inc.

Where do I acknowlege this?

Status
Not open for further replies.