anything for a free lunch

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
This isn't my achievement so it cannot go in gloats and accomplishments but I am still chuffed. A while back I nominated my new play's producer for a Writers Guild (GB) theatre award for all the work she does encouraging and supporting new playwrights. Just had notification that she has been given the award and we have been invited to London for the awards ceremony and lunch which is being hosted at The Old Vic theatre. I am really pleased because a) I might meet Kevin Spacey and b) she really deserves it.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Maybe not your achievement, but it wouldn't have happened without you, so well done. :)

Take your plays with you. "Oops, I have accidentally dropped my huge bag, which happened to be open, I'm dreadfully sorry for spilling those PLAYS wot I have written all over the floor." :)

Say hi to Kev for us!

-Derek
My Web Page - shameless vampyre fiction & other shameless writings.
Stop reading this and get some writing done instead.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Hell - you are part of the achievement.

Enjoy the basking...

Mac.

Greasy Spoon

Registered
Reaction score
endless rewrite said:
I am really pleased because a) I might meet Kevin Spacey and b) she really deserves it.

Good to see you have your priorities. :D

Congratulations to her, and to you for thinking to do somthing so positive (and for getting your play produced, of course). It's great that you get to go the ceremony too. Just goes to show that some good deeds ARE rewarded.

Have fun!

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

I am pleased for the producer as she does loads of work with new writers which the award is for. This year she started a year long mentoring scheme for five new playwrights which includes paid commissions and I get to ponce about and be an uninspiring mentor. She has also worked for a year on raising a ton of funding to tour my play (well, it seems a ton to me) and bring in a great director out of the area etc. Usually my plays go no further then two cities down so that's fab. I hope it pays off for her as well as me. I would hate to let her and everyone else down by writing a dud - god, the shame. I have always thought not having an interval is a good idea so people cannot leave.

I fully intend to make the most of the event by:

a) eating all my free lunch/drinking vast amounts of wine

though I would rather drown in my soup than network.

Perhaps I could replace Kev's palcemat with a synopsis?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Perhaps I could replace Kev's palcemat with a synopsis?

Why not get a set of placemats... laminate pages from your plays onto them... and bribe the caterer to use them in place of his own mats?

I'm only half joking. Part of me actually gives this idea serious consideration.

The thought of KS swapping the mats around asking, "Who has page 12, come on people I'm looking for page 12..." :)

-Derek
My Web Page - shameless vampyre fiction & other shameless writings.
This question is easily answered by reading scripts.
Read scripts.
Lots of scripts.
~Deus Ex Machine

Winterchase

Registered
Reaction score
Still laughing

dpaterso said:
Why not get a set of placemats... laminate pages from your plays onto them... and bribe the caterer to use them in place of his own mats?

I'm only half joking. Part of me actually gives this idea serious consideration.

The thought of KS swapping the mats around asking, "Who has page 12, come on people I'm looking for page 12..." :)

-Derek

That is funny as hell, Derek. Mel Brooks, Blazing Saddles stuff!

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Derek

A fiendishly, brilliant plan! If you were that sort of brass balls person it would be a tempting and most amusing ploy. But could you imagine Kevin holding the placemat/page aloft and demanding to know, 'who wrote this ****? It's put me off my prawn cocktail!'

Prawn cocktail, see the dizzy aspirational working class, Abigal Party heights I aspire to, sigh. It will probably be something southern and swish and non-pink.