Superman Returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw it last night. Without spoiling anything, what did you think?

I liked the actors and the special effects, but after the first 45 minutes, I was bored. It started out great, but then the script lost me. Not enough action, too much sap. The length didn't help, either.

Anyone else see it?

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
Yeah, I liked it actually. I thought the plot was better than the last two Superman movies, although Christopher Reeve will always be Superman for me.

I think the length killed it. a lot of people are just waiting for the DVD Special edition.

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I think Reeve was better, too, but this guy was a close second. In some scenes he almost looked like Reeve.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Brandon Routh -- that's the guy's name.

I agree: in some scenes, he almost looks like Reeve. (But I still prefer the Reeve version of Superman.)

IMO, the length was... not too bad. Let's just say my writing isn't far from my thoughts, never mind where I happen to be. Heh.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
The special effects were good. The story was weak and the pacing should have been snappier. Superman was pretty. I loved Kevin Spacey and Parker Posey's performances.

I went to see it at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood. GORGEOUS theater! That was the best part. My Mom and I were on vacation in LA and wanted to see the theater, otherwise I would have waited for video.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
I enjoyed it. I thought Kate Bosworth seemed a bit lacking as Lois but overall, I thought the movie thankfully disavowed any knowledge of Superman III and IV. In my book, its Superman, Superman II, then Superman Returns.

And Spacey did a fantastic turn as Luthor. I loved the combat boots.

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think Bryan Singer plans on making the next one more thrill-packed. At least that's what he seemed to imply at Comic-Con.

BTW, did anyone pick up the graphic novel version of Superman
Returns? There are some differences from the novel and the movie, I won't go into them and spoil it for those of you who want to get it, but it is different.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
I heard there was a sequence where Supes goes to Krypton that was shot but removed from the final cut of the film. Is that in the graphic novel?

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yes, the trip to Krypton opens the novel.

there's also a sequence with Martha Kent and her boyfriend (!?)
And some dialog with Lex Luthor when he traps Superman at the end that is markedly different from the final film version.

writeperch

just write
Registered
Reaction score
Overall I liked SR quite a bit, though there were certainly disappointing bits. But I also felt that way about Spidey and Batman Begins, which are both quite good but could have been better. Oh, and X-men ... but always tend to forget about X-men the movies, so they must be lacking something as well. Hmmm, maybe Singer just can't hit a homerun for my tastes? But the next Singer Supes movie better be a lot more action and real engaging drama.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
I think Mel Gibson should take notes for his next Christ themed movie...

After all, this was one was really the modern telling of the Christ story with special effects.

Unfortunately, the very first scene of the movie (the opening text) lost me and then the rest of the gaping plot holes were frequent enough to make sure I couldn't get recaptured into the movie.

Of course the completely illogical, plot gored ending made sure that I would never enjoy the film.

Rabe...

K-Mark

Philly Phanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed a lot of similarities to the story of Christ, too. Last son, superhuman, three days of death, body missing from hospital/tomb, the stab in the ribs, the falling down, etc. I think there was even a scene where they carried Superman like they did in Cool Hand Luke.

As for the ending, without spoiling, I thought it was a little far-fetched, too. I saw a lot of plot holes.

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
I grew up watching Reeves as Superman and he will always be Superman for me. But Brandon Routh *squeals* is just gorgeous! He can never be Reeves, but I agree he comes SUPER close!
As for the movie, the Special Effects were SUPER but the story has something missing. More action and perhaps more dangerous enemies and less sap. Kevin Spacey delivers a stellar performance and I enjoy his image as a funny villain!

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
K-Mark said:
I noticed a lot of similarities to the story of Christ, too. Last son, superhuman, three days of death, body missing from hospital/tomb, the stab in the ribs, the falling down, etc.

Yeah, the period of 'missing', the 'did he or did he not have a family', blah blah blah.

The interesting thing, I had a conversation about two weeks with one of the friends I saw the movie with how the Superman story was basically the retelling of the Christ legend (and, in a similar vein, Moses as the creators were Jewish). He argued against it even though his knowledge of Superman comes only from the movies and the general knowledge that everyone knows.

Halfway through "Returns" he turns to me in the theatre and says "I give up."

There was even the classic 'crucifixation' pose towards the end.

Kind of interesting, though, that a gay jewish man would direct a modern day sci-fi telling of the New Testament.

Rabe...

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Superman Returns (redux)

Popularity of the first? I thought that thing crashed and burned. Every review I heard was negative.

Oh. Well, I thought it was brilliant, and I tend to ignore everyone else. :)

In any case, looks like this was just a scare. Whew. :)

Axler

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.markellisink.com
Popularity of the first? I thought that thing crashed and burned. Every review I heard was negative.

Superman Returns made a substantial profit. Most of the negative reviews fell into two camps--

Fanboys bitching that Superman didn't punch anybody and self-styled pundits of haute culture who sneered at any film based on comics.

Personally, I loved Superman Returns and I think Brandon Routh turned in an excellent and nuanced performance.

With the possible exception of Batman Begins and Hellboy, I think it's the best super-hero film made up until this point.

I don't know why people post utter bulls**t about movies on fan-forums and why others accept the lies unquestioningly.

Are they pathological liars or compelled to just fabricate stuff in the hopes of either coming off as an expert or hoping to have a hand in diminishing a film's overall performance?

Last spring, an anonymous somebody claiming to be a studio insider posted an almost completely false advance review of FF2: The Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Nobody knows who posted it, nobody knows why, but people actually took it seriously for several weeks until a studio person with an actual name stepped forward and refuted the review, point by point.

Here's the criteria...if somebody posts an item, like the aforementioned nonsense about Brandon Routh by a person who (a) doesn't have a last name or a real name and (b) the item can't be verified, then it's probably been fabricated with an agenda.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Superman Returns was the greatest cinematic travesty in years. There's a hundred and six ways to demonstrate this, but Brandon Routh is a perfect example of how frigging far they missed they point.

The Superman costume is arguably the dumbest wardrobe ensemble ever. Blue tights with red undies worn on the outside? And kneehigh boots?! The reason Salkind's 1978 Superman was (for all it offered) nearly a flawless film, was that it knew when to laugh at itself and that Christopher Reeve was so charming, to the last mitochondria, that you never even saw the suit.

For the charismatically anemic Routh, they tried to change the costume: un-Crayola the colors, make the cape from oxblood leather. They just didn't get it.

Personally, I hope the whole project goes up in flames and the cinders get ground into paste by a rare Los Angeles rain.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Superman Returns was the greatest cinematic travesty in years.

Really? I thought it could've been better, but uh... you should maybe watch more movies....

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Really? I thought it could've been better, but uh... you should maybe watch more movies....
If there's a lot worse out there, then I think perhaps not.

It wasn't in its technical execution, which was okay. It was in its spirit and its palid homage to a movie that didn't need a follow up. Classic Hollywood shortsightedness.

Besides, we're all allowed our pet peeves, aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.