Important/Importantly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Which is correct? "He had a shower and more important, changed his socks." "He had a shower and more importantly, changed his socks."

I always thought it would be "more importantly" but I never hear that said anymore. The news, commercials, etc., always says "more important." I would have thought that "importantly" was an adverb modifying "changed".

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
From a college handbook "Some adverbs have two forms, one the same as that of the adjective and another with ly added. In informal writing and in speech, especially in short imperative sentences, the form without ly is often used when the adverb follows the verb. In formal writing the form in ly is preferred, and whenever the adverbs precedes the verb, the form in ly is required." (Wooley Scott Bracher)

From that, it would seem that your importantly is correct. However, this may be another of those cases where modern usage is getting away from the old rules. Hope this helps. Puma

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In your case, it's probably "more important" as I gather you mean "changing his socks is a more important thing" instead of "he changes his socks in an important manner."

"Importantly" means "in an important manner" such as "he walked across the room importantly."

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/importantly.html

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/20/messages/1069.html

Basically both are used today without making the distinction of meanings. But journalists and some writers tend to be more aware. If a journalist writes "More importantly, President Bush vetoed the bill," he will see criticism from his peers. "Hey Jay, did you mean Bush vetoed the bill in an important manner or did you mean his vetoing the bill is important?"

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
important

It's "more important." This is saying that changing his socks was more important than taking a shower. "Importantly" would mean he changed his socks in an important manner.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Sandi LeFaucheur said:
I always thought it would be "more importantly" but I never hear that said anymore.
Really? I often see it in print where "important" is needed. To do something importantly is to put on airs about doing it, to try to make an impression, as opposed to just doing it to get it done.

Puma, the paragraph you quoted applies to "slow/slowly" but not to "important/-ly."

When you need to choose between two words, the first thing to do is to check both of them in a dictionary. Often the answer will be there.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
important

reph said:
Really? I often see it in print where "important" is needed. To do something importantly is to put on airs about doing it, to try to make an impression, as opposed to just doing it to get it done.

Puma, the paragraph you quoted applies to "slow/slowly" but not to "important/-ly."

When you need to choose between two words, the first thing to do is to check both of them in a dictionary. Often the answer will be there.

Yes, the mistake I see made almost daily is adding the "ly' when it shouldn't be there. It's so common in slush piles that I wonder if anyone understands the difference.

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
Jamesaritchie said:
Yes, the mistake I see made almost daily is adding the "ly' when it shouldn't be there. It's so common in slush piles that I wonder if anyone understands the difference.

Ummmm....well I obviously didn't! Because I thought...no I was sure I was right and I'm anal beyond belief with grammar.
icon11.gif

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Don't worry. I was using "More importantly" until a journalist friend showed me the right way. Now you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.