Resource Du Jour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty W01

Since there is no board just for resources, I'm starting a thread on here for resources I find that I can't resist pointing out to others. If you also have some, feel free to post the link and a brief description of what can be found there. I'm also copying it to several other forums which may find it useful; mods who don't want it, feel free to vaporize it or ask me to. Enjoy!

Today's site:
OneLook Dictionary Search
www.onelook.com/about.shtml

They describe themselves: Think of this web site as a search engine for words and phrases: If you have a word for which you'd like a definition or translation, we'll quickly shuttle you to the web-based dictionaries that define or translate that word. If you don't know how to spell the word, we'll help you do that too. No word is too obscure: More than 5 million words in more than 900 online dictionaries are indexed by the OneLook® search engine.

Betty W01

RDJ: Bartleby.com

www.bartleby.com/reference/

Their description: Bartleby.com combines the best of both contemporary and classic reference works into the most comprehensive public reference library ever published on the web.

Includes Shakespeare, the Harvard Classics (all 70 volumes!), Gray's Anatomy, the King James Bible, the sayings of Confucius, and loads of other stuff. You could spend days here...

Betty W01

RDJ: Absolute Write

our very own Absolute Write, where you can learn all kinds of important information! There are

book reviews:
www.absolutewrite.com/novels/book_reviews.htm
including some by yours truly, like this one:
www.absolutewrite.com/novels/guide_to_publishing.htm

articles of interest:www.absolutewrite.com/freelance_writing/articles2.htm

market listings:www.absolutewrite.com/Markets.htm

and all kinds of other stuff. If you've never spent any time just clicking around in there, go do it. Go on... what are you waiting for?
chase.gif

Betty W01

RDJ: Edit. Dead Zone & Center for Life Story Preservatio

The Write News' Editorial Dead Zone gives you the news in the publishing industry (and it looks like most of it is bad.) Don't read it if you're easily depressed, but if you need to get a feel for the future of the industry, you can get it here. Then go to their home page for other good stuff.

www.writenews.com/deadzone/

More uplifting - The Center for Life Story Preservation, where ordinary folks are being encouraged to write their life stories for their family's information. Lots of good stuff for us here, too, especially the links to nostalgia sites and the story themes and ideas link to a long list of ideas you can use as story prompts!

www.storypreservation.com/home.html

Have a productive and satisfying week, y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.