Is Internet capalized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

Internet is upper case, and so is Web.

There are two Internets, though to the average consumer, there's only one (Internet II is a highspeed overlay on the original 'net, used by research scientists, the Feds, and academics and not generally available).

There's no "internet which is just any network of networks."

You can check for capitalization in the dictionary; both of these words are in the American Heritage Dictionary, and there's even a usage note on Web.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
JimmyB27 said:
Depends.

The Internet is capitalised. However, you can also have an internet, which is just any network of networks. The Internet is a specific example of an internet.
Internet is capitalized. I think you're talking about an "intranet", which is a company's internal network and is not capitalized.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
CaroGirl said:
Internet is capitalized. I think you're talking about an "intranet", which is a company's internal network and is not capitalized.

No, trust me, I'm talking about an internet. If you hook a load of computers together, you have a network. If you then hook that network up to a load of other networks, you have an internet. The most famous example of such a construct is that thing we call The Internet.

http://www.answers.com/internet&r=67 - Scroll down to the heading 'Technology' :

"1. (Lower case "i"nternet) A large network made up of a number of smaller networks."

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

That's an outdated dictionary.

A large network, even one that spans continents, but which is not the Internet, would be an internal network, or even a Wide Area Network. Even the OED makes the distinction, pointing out that internet is no longer used that way.

OED said:
Originally (in form internet): a computer network consisting of or connecting a number of smaller networks, such as two or more local area networks connected by a shared communications protocol; spec. such a network (called ARPAnet) operated by the U.S. Defense Department. In later use (usu. the Internet): the global computer network (which evolved out of ARPAnet) providing a variety of information and communication facilities to its users, and consisting of a loose confederation of interconnected networks which use standardized communication protocols; (also) the information available on this network.

Deleted member 42

TrainofThought said:
I have seen this as one word - website, and two separate words. Why? It should be two separate words. That's my opinion.

Pretty much every dictionary has it as Web site. It's derived from a proper noun, World Wide Web, and proper nouns are always uppercase.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
This is good to know. My MS Word wanted to capitalize it, and I decided to ignore it. Now I'll change it back to an I.

Status
Not open for further replies.