Grammar Question (oh boy, here we go again...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky Writes

Go Tarheels!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccawrites.com
When writing dialogue, can I use grammatically incorrect words? I'm thinking that I can because people don't always talk correctly, but is there a rule?

This is a sample sentence from my WIP:
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Casey cocked her head to the side. “You guys aren't shy at all, are you? Whatever's on your mind you just throw it right on out there.”[/FONT]
Obviously, "whatever's" is a contraction, but not "correct." I have said the sentence out loud several times, and I say "whatever's" as opposed to "whatever is."

So? Yes? No?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. In dialogue, write the way the character would actually speak. FYI-there is a grammar thread with some real wizards (Sorry. Not those kinds.) who can help sort out your grammar issues. Plus it is an interesting read.

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
Yes. In fact, you should. Makes the dialogue sound more real. Don't go for full reality of course, because most people speak in fragments and it would drive the reader nuts. Same goes for dialect/accents. A little goes a long way.

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
My vote is: Even though it is incorrect - write it as it is said in real life. This adds depth to your characters making them come alive showing their own personalities or quirks which makes the dialogue more believable. :D

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing else better to do at this given time. Besides, this place gives me lots of laughs!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Becky Writes said:
When writing dialogue, can I use grammatically incorrect words? I'm thinking that I can because people don't always talk correctly, but is there a rule?

This is a sample sentence from my WIP:
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Casey cocked her head to the side. “You guys aren't shy at all, are you? Whatever's on your mind you just throw it right on out there.”[/FONT]
Obviously, "whatever's" is a contraction, but not "correct." I have said the sentence out loud several times, and I say "whatever's" as opposed to "whatever is."

So? Yes? No?

"Whatever's on your mind" may not be formal, but there's nothing grammatically incorrect about it. It's a perfectly valid and grammatical contraction.

Punctuation is another story.

But, yes, dialogue should always reflect the way real people talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.