Status
Not open for further replies.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How frustrating is this:

I get to write my first rejection letter today. The story was submitted to a contest for teenage writers that I'm running, I like it, I wanted to include it in the anthology being published of the short-listed entries but it ends with a cliff-hanger. Good for a novel, not good for a short story.

I contacted the author by phone to ask if the scene was finished as he mentioned that it was actually the beginning of a novel, and if it was to send the conclusion along and told him why. His answer: He wants it to stay as is.

Well, his choice, his art, but it won't be included in the anthology as is. Silly boy.

When I see all the people here at AW who work so hard at their craft and compare this lad's lack of response to what I consider a reasonable request, the mind boggles.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
art

Very typical, unfortunately. But I wouldn't say a cloiffhanger ending should automatically kill a short story. I don't like them, but quite a few literary stories get away with it.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Jamesaritchie said:
Very typical, unfortunately. But I wouldn't say a cloiffhanger ending should automatically kill a short story. I don't like them, but quite a few literary stories get away with it.

Quite true, and I wrestled with the decision for quite some time, especially as these are not seasoned writers I'm dealing with. I based the decision on the fact that they're unknown writers, I'm an unknown small press, it's the first real effort out in the world for all of us... The frustration I felt at not being able to read the rest of the scene might detract more from the book as a whole than it added, for readers taking a chance on us.

Oh, and perhaps I should add, it's not a literary collection, it's all the different facets of fantasy, from a delightfully 19th century ramble to a very powerful dark horror-fantasy mix that I think is the best of the bunch. (And I don't tend to like horror.)

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
I can relate. When I was poetry editor for an Ezine, I got quite the practice writing rejection letters. (ALL of the rejections had to go through the EIC but I had to write the rejections.) It's hard, especially when you know the sting of rejection as a writer. Still, a writer unwilling to work with an editor to improve the chances of getting published will face that kind of rejection, and then some.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
BardSkye said:
Quite true, and I wrestled with the decision for quite some time, especially as these are not seasoned writers I'm dealing with. I based the decision on the fact that they're unknown writers, I'm an unknown small press, it's the first real effort out in the world for all of us... The frustration I felt at not being able to read the rest of the scene might detract more from the book as a whole than it added, for readers taking a chance on us.

Oh, and perhaps I should add, it's not a literary collection, it's all the different facets of fantasy, from a delightfully 19th century ramble to a very powerful dark horror-fantasy mix that I think is the best of the bunch. (And I don't tend to like horror.)

Oh, I agree with your decision. And a very common cause of failure is refusing to believe you're wrong and the editor is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.