Moving from ten minute to full length plays - Part 2

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
The original thread was getting too long to look through so I thought I would start a new thread.

Two things going on right now. I have finished the first draft of the first act of my full length play and sent it to a few friends for comment before I start to clean it up. I haven't revisited it for a while because I have been getting my show up and running.

Buried somewhere in the other thread was a note that eight of the ten minute plays I have written were going to be produced by a theater I am associated with. We named the night "Eight by Ten". I directed six if the shows and a friend directed two of them. We have a small 60 seat theater in a community of 3,500 people. On Thursday, we had a fund raiser for a local child care organization that is always struggling. They sold 48 tickets (at $25 each) and raised $1,200 and we got a good opening night audience.

Last night we had 73 people show up for the show - including several who had seen the show the night before but wanted to see it again. We squeezed everybody in but it was a full, full house.

The audience reaction was overwhelming!!! Everyone loved it!!! They laughed, they cried and just had a wonderful time. The reaction was so strong we have already decided to hold the show over for another weekend.

I had never realized how much stress I was under until about half way through Act Two, when I finally realized we had a major hit. As the stress lifted I felt so light that I could float. What a wonderful night.

Now, back to the full length play!!!