What the heck is wrong with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
People my age should be listening to Rihanna and Hilary Duff and Raven and oneoftheothermillionsofteenstarswithboobjobsandavoicethatcouldmeltflesh.....

NOT SONGS FROM THE 80S!!!!

I was alive for about 4 months in the 80s, but WHY does most of my music collection span the 80s?!

Why?!

Why, God, why?!?

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Man, I was born in 1990, and my music collection starts at the 1930's, and goes up to next month.

I would say it's a good thing.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Provrb1810meggy said:
If you listened to Hilary Duff, I'd be afraid for you.

Same here. I haaaaaate her.

Can someone loan me a house to drop on her?

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
nachonaco_Grippers said:
People my age should be listening to Rihanna and Hilary Duff and Raven and oneoftheothermillionsofteenstarswithboobjobsandavoicethatcouldmeltflesh.....

I was alive for about 4 months in the 80s, but WHY does most of my music collection span the 80s?!

Why?!

Why, God, why?!?

Do you believe in reincarnation? Me neither, but it would be cool.

Don't feel bad, kiddo. Well over half of my cds are from the 80's, and I play them twice as much as all the rest, which means...okay, I'm not even going to try to do math on the weekend. Let it suffice to say that 80's music was/is fun, and the way it makes me feel is generally good.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Do you believe in reincarnation?

Of course.

But back to the topic at hand: my 9 year old listens to the Beatles - The Stones - Janis Joplin and others.

Not Britney - no Hillary Duff.

allion

Character assassin
Registered
Reaction score
Because the music is fun, and it goes to the happy place in your brain, and most of the stuff out now is crap. Some of the Hilary Duff etc. stuff reminds me of a buzz saw going into the cerebral cortex.

I lived through the 80s, so I have an excuse to have my MP3 loaded with songs about 20 years old. (Now I feel old after saying that.)

Musical taste is whatever works for you. Whenever I get asked, "What's your favourite song?" I end up with a list about a mile long. Too many to pick from.

Karen

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I'm pretty easy-going when it comes to music. Having a recording studio in my basement, I got used to all kinds.

My daughter makes the most eclectic mixes of music I've ever heard. She'll burn a CD with everything from classic rock, to Japanese aime, to Frank Sinatra and somehow it always seems to fit together.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
Ok, people, then give me a bunch of recommendations please?

I love the 60's and the 70's also have tons of stuffs from the 50's but I never got into the 80's, I always found it to be horrible music.

Recommend me some, so that I can get and fill my MP3 player, because I'm starting to get bored with what I have ;)

Robert Toy

Nearly anything by John Lennon

What type of music do you like (Rock, Country, Jazz, etc.)?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
It's the overflow from the 70's into the 80's combined with the new wave of the 80's that created so much great music. Sure, there's a ton of garbage, but certainly no more than there was in the 70's and certainly far less than the 90's--a decade that can just about be written off entirely.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Recommend me some, so that I can get and fill my MP3 player, because I'm starting to get bored with what I have

Depends what you like - but I'd go for stuff like the Cure, Madness, Billy Bragg, Kirsty McColl, The Pogues, Queen... (in other words - there's loads!)

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
90's were awful music wise, except for minor exceptions.

But we now have Jack White (the White Stripes), OutKast, The Black Keys, Otis Taylor...

There is terrible stuff out there, and lots of it.
But there's some faaaantastic stuff too

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

Uh, because 80s music KICKS A$$ over today's crap. Duh.

There were some great artists in the 80s... man they just don't make music like those guys any more. Check out Bon Jovi, U2, and Bruce Springsteen for some examples.

I'd also point you to Alphaville, A-Ha, and Van Halen.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I laugh when we are in the car listening to 80'd music and bobbing out heads to the beat. Our kids think we're weird. It reminds us of our parents listening to their oldies. Now it's our turn and our kids are looking at the backs of our heads. I told my son, who told us where to go first on our outing, "when your kids are looking at the back of your head you can decide where to go first." He related.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Forbidden Snowflake said:
Ok, people, then give me a bunch of recommendations please?

**REM**, Depeche Mode, New Order, Simple Minds, Human League, Talking Heads, Kraftwerk (dis for nihilists only), The Clash, INXS, The Police, Bangles, Blondie, Beastie booooeeees, Duran Duran (I know) and Peter Gabriel.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
nachonaco_Grippers said:

Why?!

Why, God, why?!?
Probably because that is what your Mom and Dad were listening to when you were little. I love music from all eras including my kids' music. Yes, I listen to everything from Big Band sound (my parents music) to hippy music of the 60's (my older cousin's music) 70's music (my teen years) 80's-90's music (my young adult years). I like some and I say SOME of Eminem, Puffy Daddy, I love techno Goth and club house music. But when I write, I listen to sound tracks of movies I like. So I am a bit eclectic in my music. And dare I admit to liking some of the Backstreet Boys, N-sync and yes...even BRITNEY SPEARS in her early days. But then they remind me of the days when my kids were in grade school and middle school and we had a BLAST!

~Casi~

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Casiopeia said:
Probably because that is what your Mom and Dad were listening to when you were little.

That is why my first musical obsessions were early rock and roll. Ritchie Valens, the Big Bopper, The Temptations, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison. That merged into classic 60's music (which I still love).

I rebelled against the whole bubblegum pop/boy band phenomenon. My generation seems to straddle the big cultural movements, and I found both distasteful.

Nowadays my playlists are as eclectic as my book shelves. A little bit of everything (I admit to liking on Linsday Lohan song, but I draw the line at Britney Spears).

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Thanks to my gig writing music reviews, I've found quite a few modern bands that I really enjoy. Here's a list of a few:

Bluessmyth (amazing retro 70's Southern rock from Canada)
The Grim Northern Social (in the vein of Jet, but much more talented)
Get Set Go (bitter art rock from California)
Tourmaline
Parker House & Theory
Blanketeer (straight up New England emo, but with better lyrics)

More as I think of them.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
pconsidine said:
Thanks to my gig writing music reviews, I've found quite a few modern bands that I really enjoy. Here's a list of a few:

Bluessmyth (amazing retro 70's Southern rock from Canada)
The Grim Northern Social (in the vein of Jet, but much more talented)
Get Set Go (bitter art rock from California)
Tourmaline
Parker House & Theory
Blanketeer (straight up New England emo, but with better lyrics)

More as I think of them.
Thank you...I will have to check them out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.